Cabianca DFK review - 4 surfs in

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I found this used on Gumtree here in Oz and had just snapped a CI fever. I’d heard good things about Jonny’s boards and thy looked different so I thought I’d take a chance on it.

Dimensions: 6’1 x 19 3/8? x 2 9/16 @31.4L
Rounded squash tail with really rounded corners - sort of between a squash and a round tail
Foil: quite thin at the nose, blending to fairly generous under the chest. the foil on the lower portion of the board is unlike anything else I’ve ridden in a HPSB - it carries generous thickness through the tail.
Rail profile: fairly normal for a HPSB, except it gets boxy from around the front fins right through the tail, so it carries the thickness from the foil right through.
Fins used: FCS Carvers (L)
Other interesting thing: the hard edge on the rail carries right through to around 12” forward of the front fins.

I’ve ridden this 4 times in waves ranging from head high to almost DOH, both wind and ground swells, offshore and raging onshore. The best way to to describe this board it is ”stable”. It surfs like a HPSB without the common twitchy feeling. For some reason, it feels really solid when hitting the lip and during landings. It’s strange, it’s almost like the stability of a stubby board with a higher wave range sweet spot - I reckon it needs head high to be best, and it easily held almost DOH.

Honestly, it’s so different to a normal HPSB that I’m loving it at the moment. Perhaps I will find some drawbacks in the future but at this stage I’m very happy. I haven’t ridden it in true barrels yet but will report back on it if there’s anything interesting.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I found this used on Gumtree here in Oz and had just snapped a CI fever. I’d heard good things about Jonny’s boards and thy looked different so I thought I’d take a chance on it.

Dimensions: 6’1 x 19 3/8? x 2 9/16 @31.4L
Rounded squash tail with really rounded corners - sort of between a squash and a round tail
Foil: quite thin at the nose, blending to fairly generous under the chest. the foil on the lower portion of the board is unlike anything else I’ve ridden in a HPSB - it carries generous thickness through the tail.
Rail profile: fairly normal for a HPSB, except it gets boxy from around the front fins right through the tail, so it carries the thickness from the foil right through.
Fins used: FCS Carvers (L)
Other interesting thing: the hard edge on the rail carries right through to around 12” forward of the front fins.

I’ve ridden this 4 times in waves ranging from head high to almost DOH, both wind and ground swells, offshore and raging onshore. The best way to to describe this board it is ”stable”. It surfs like a HPSB without the common twitchy feeling. For some reason, it feels really solid when hitting the lip and during landings. It’s strange, it’s almost like the stability of a stubby board with a higher wave range sweet spot - I reckon it needs head high to be best, and it easily held almost DOH.

Honestly, it’s so different to a normal HPSB that I’m loving it at the moment. Perhaps I will find some drawbacks in the future but at this stage I’m very happy. I haven’t ridden it in true barrels yet but will report back on it if there’s anything interesting.
Nice to hear a Cabianca review! Might be a first for this forum?? I had a chance to check one out a couple of years ago. It was owned by an Israeli guy I met on a surf trip. Board looked sweet but man, those guys pack surfing mentality put the Brazzos to shame.

I've had a few boards that were foiled like you describe and I really liked them.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Large carvers are adding to that stability

If you went performer or reactor it would loosen up
Hi Retodd,

I'm looking for some more upright or balanced templates to dial it in even more. Apart from the performers or reactors, any recommendations?

Also, Gabby Medina's template looks more upright...

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I love my DFK, similar feelings. that insane sense of stability leads to insane levels of confidence pushing it in turns.
it's a board that likes to be ridden aggressively.

Reactions: Aruka

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I love my DFK, similar feelings. that insane sense of stability leads to insane levels of confidence pushing it in turns.
Are you Longtom ?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
It's good to hear I'm not the only one feeling the stability on this thing.

So you're still riding it, even a few months after the Beachgrit review?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It's good to hear I'm not the only one feeling the stability on this thing.

So you're still riding it, even a few months after the Beachgrit review?
rode the shitt out of it through winter last year.
been riding the Ghost a lot but the DFK is right there, ready to go.

Got JJF M's in it.

Reactions: Hazrus

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Cool. I'm looking forward to riding it through this winter. It's good to hear it rides well with a more upright set of fins. The only thing annoying about mine is that it's FCS. This is the first FCS board I've had in years and I've got so many more options in Futures.