CA storm this weekend

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I’ll be the guy on a bamboo decked asym snowboard.
I'll be on this. If you see me, say hi. Maybe take a run or have a beer together. I'm not a great snowboarder though(probably mid-intermediate). Just got this board a few months ago to try and get better at carving and get a more "surfy" feeling while riding. I'm done riding switch, hitting parks, etc....(Actually, I never did "hit the parks". That sh!t is nuts.).

PXL_20240117_004843248 (1).jpg

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You’re confusing the weather forecast with the media’s depiction of the forecast.
Did the media suggest they’d get 10 inches in Westwood? That Long Beach would flood, Malibu too? That people would die? If so, good on ‘em for being accurate.

“Look at the weather forecast models that are available to everyone to see. There’s no there there.”

If 10 inches in the Valley isnt there then i don’t know what is.

Duffman gunna Duff.

Jul 8, 2008
I suppose though I've only been rear ended on 88 in chain control, never done the rear ending. Spun out quite a few times (sometimes intentionally) but never near another vehicle. I'd guess CHP would asses who hit whom. Hard to think they'd care if you got hit and didn't have chains on. From my experience on such roads..drive slow and keep a fair distance from the car in front of you. When you start skidding out you just have to worry about the snow berm and not the Tesla right in front of you. Snow berms won't litigate.

Reactions: tenover

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'll be on this. If you see me, say hi. Maybe take a run or have a beer together. I'm not a great snowboarder though(probably mid-intermediate). Just got this board a few months ago to try and get better at carving and get a more "surfy" feeling while riding. I'm done riding switch, hitting parks, etc....(Actually, I never did "hit the parks". That sh!t is nuts.).

View attachment 172215
IMG_4255.jpeg

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I'm trying to dial in my stance angles on this new board. That pic I posted above was a couple weeks ago, right after I installed the bindings. Currently I'm at +27 front and +6 rear. Thinking of trying +9 or +12 on the rear this coming weekend.

Didn't mean to derail this thread.... This should probably be in the "Snow Surfing" thread instead. My bad.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I love driving up there and back..... But I love driving in general. The more we drive it, the easier it gets and the more I appreciate the scenery(except Adelanto). With no traffic, and a couple quick stops for coffee and **** breaks, it takes us about 7 hours from Point Loma to Eagle/Canyon.
We have a pretty good routine. Hardest part is getting out of LA. And even in the worst weather it’s a pretty easy drive. I’d only consider flying if it was free and the weather was clear or maybe for spring skiing. I know way too many people who’ve been skunked with cancelled flights or worse flights that never landed and had to turn back.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I love driving up there and back..... But I love driving in general. The more we drive it, the easier it gets and the more I appreciate the scenery(except Adelanto). With no traffic, and a couple quick stops for coffee and **** breaks, it takes us about 7 hours from Point Loma to Eagle/Canyon.
I don’t mind the drive much either but it’s hard to beat flying.

Leave my house at 6:00am, wheels up at 6:30ish. On the chairlift by 8:30.

Back home for dinner around 6:30pm.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Your ++ stance and directional board makes you 5% less of a dickhead imho :cheers:

what are your thoughts on the asym shape? Can you carve low enough to drag your moobs?
I can drag my elbow..

Asym feels more normal than symmetrical. The different rail lines “corrects” for asymmetry of heel vs. toe side turns.

The board works great in all conditions. On the groomed snow it carves really well. It does this trippy thing where once you get over a certain speed it just fucking locks in. That speed is very fast though.

In the powder it truly is surfing in snow. It has a slight spoon nose that pushes your front foot up. It just floats without effort.

It really is an amazing board.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Not when you miss a powder day cause planes don’t land there during storms. By the time you’re done navigating airports the time is essentially a wash.
We can fly in before the storms, stay at the condo and fly out after. Duh.

Navigating airports? I drive up to the gate, punch in the code, gate opens, park my car in the hangar.

Pilot has a car at the mammoth airport. My front door to Canyon chair in just over two hours.

Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm trying to dial in my stance angles on this new board. That pic I posted above was a couple weeks ago, right after I installed the bindings. Currently I'm at +27 front and +6 rear. Thinking of trying +9 or +12 on the rear this coming weekend.

Didn't mean to derail this thread.... This should probably be in the "Snow Surfing" thread instead. My bad.
Took me a few runs to get my stance right.

My bindings don’t have numbers on them so I couldn’t tell you what the angle are.