CA storm this weekend

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Could see the glow last night.

Power still out but PG&E said they started working on it this afternoon. So maybe by 8 tonight?

The Mexican food is A+, surf is very good when it's working, and the area is beautiful but goddamn it, it is such a pissant 3rd world hickhole in so many ways, it is aggravating. I'd expect it in rural Uganda but not in the US.

And how PG&E hasn't been death sentenced or nationalized after all their BS over the years is beyond me.
For a proper pissant 3rd world shithole try San Francisco.

• Love
Reactions: Mr Doof and Kento

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Just got home from Mammoth. Chains were required(unless you had 4WD with snow tires. I have 4WD but not snow tires), so we chained up early this morning. The snow had let up when we left, so easy drive to Big Pine and then SOLID, heavy rain from there all the way to Temecula. Light rain in San Diego when we arrived an hour ago. The drive was beautiful between Bishop and Lone Pine(as usual!).

PXL_20240204_181708899.jpg

PXL_20240205_171154281.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240205_165913132.jpg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Just got home from Mammoth. Chains were required(unless you had 4WD with snow tires. I have 4WD but not snow tires), so we chained up early this morning. The snow had let up when we left, so easy drive to Big Pine and then SOLID, heavy rain from there all the way to Temecula. Light rain in San Diego when we arrived an hour ago. The drive was beautiful between Bishop and Lone Pine(as usual!).

View attachment 172205

View attachment 172206

View attachment 172207
Great pics!

Reactions: Leonardo
Jul 8, 2008

View attachment 172205

View attachment 172206

View attachment 172207
FWIW not sure what control did this weekend, but while Caltrans R2 is AWD with snow tires or chains, caltrans just about always will wave you through just with AWD and won't check the tires, no need to chain up. Unless you plan on tailgating someone on 203 while going 60 mph. Then nothing can save you. :)

Very jealous, Mammoth in good conditions is about as good as it gets.

Reactions: Leonardo and $kully

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
FWIW not sure what control did this weekend, but while Caltrans R2 is AWD with snow tires or chains, caltrans just about always will wave you through just with AWD and won't check the tires, no need to chain up. Unless you plan on tailgating someone on 203 while going 60 mph. Then nothing can save you. :)

Very jealous, Mammoth in good conditions is about as good as it gets.
I know, I know.... We actually got out this morning from our condo right at Eagle Lodge with quite a bit of snow on the ground(pre-plow) without chains(4WD only), all the way through town and then about 2 miles down the highway when my wife got all paranoid and asked me to put the chains on. I put them on for about 10 miles and then pulled over and took them off once the snow/ice was minimal(waaaaay before Bishop). Better safe than sorry I guess....:dancing:

There was no "enforcement" whatsoever.... Just Caltrans app info and the signs posted along the highway.

Reactions: Leonardo

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
FWIW not sure what control did this weekend, but while Caltrans R2 is AWD with snow tires or chains, caltrans just about always will wave you through just with AWD and won't check the tires, no need to chain up. The checking happens if you get in an accident and when insurers get involved.
fixed

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com

View attachment 172205

View attachment 172206

View attachment 172207
The Owens Valley in the winter is one of the wonders of the world.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

View attachment 172205

View attachment 172206

View attachment 172207
Flying up again this Sunday for the day. Can’t wait.