CA storm this weekend

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Remember Adelanto pre-development? The only significant infrastructure was the 395 Strip Club (or whatever it was called). I never stopped but you knew it had to be a train wreck in there. Or not... :shrug:
I spent a few hours in there on the way to Bishop/Mammoth. A gangster strip club. My bro and I did not belong. So after four hours of pounding highballs and fondling adipose we decided to bail.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I spent a few hours in there on the way to Bishop/Mammoth. A gangster strip club. My bro and I did not belong. So after four hours of pounding highballs and fondling adipose we decided to bail.
I am not surprised in the slightest. Place always looked super sketchy!

I like you didn't belong but stayed for 4 hours. Good sh!t.

Dude, sorry to hear about all that friction at home. I don't have any advice, but I'm pulling for you and hope it all works itself out.
Thanks - just trying to manage all the stress.

Everything is easier actually once the kids are in bed but holy sh!t is there an everloving pain in the ass to get them moving, especially when trying to deal with multiple crises.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I am not surprised in the slightest. Place always looked super sketchy!

I like you didn't belong but stayed for 4 hours. Good sh!t.

Thanks - just trying to manage all the stress.

Everything is easier actually once the kids are in bed but holy sh!t is there an everloving pain in the ass to get them moving, especially when trying to deal with multiple crises.
I don’t know how we managed but

Grandchildren…BANG!

You have to be in it for the long haul.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
He'll pay dearly in poison oak rash.
Long time ago friends of mine lived at the houses at the Bowl to the left, right at Milpas and Anapamu.
They had a flood event back in '97 that had water coming in the doors, I went over to help sandbag.
Wore my Xtratoughs but they weren't high enough, water flooded them, but we kept bagging.
2 days later I had THE worst case of P.O. I've ever had, ankles, shins, hands, wrists.
The dummy floating down Sycamore is probably not a happy camper right now :foreheadslap:
I had that happen to me when the Creek opened at Uppers during the 97 El Niño. I was wearing a fullsuit surfing, but It was still horrendous. If I'd been trunking it, I probably would have died of anaphylactic shock.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Time flies. My youngest will be out of the house in 2.5 years. It's a struggle now, but they grow up so fast. I cherish the time I get to spend w them now bc I know it'll be over soon. It's going to be weird having time for myself again.
It is hard to believe that my daughter will be driving in 4.5 years, less if she steals my car. It gives me anxiety and I do put the over/under of her getting tazed by the cops at 10 days and that's generous on the over. Can't even get through the morning without bullshit like her stomping on my son's chest but WTF is he doing flopping around on the ground like a goldfish. Lots of good moments too.

A couple days for family to ski/ride this weekend will be nice. Having the season passes bought and paid for does help that and we are getting better at economizing those trips.

So much of the strain is financial as we are trying to give the kids a pretty damn good life and we do but it's a super thin line. And as pretty much the sole breadwinner, it's a lot of pressure.

I don’t know how we managed but

Grandchildren…BANG!

You have to be in it for the long haul.
If either of them have kids, I will get my revenge by filling them with sugar right before giving them back. :roflmao:

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
@Kento... when I'm up in your neck of the woods, I love to trail run at Shiloh Regional Park or Armstrong Woods. Something about jogging up/down oak-covered hills and into redwood canyons is therapeutic. If your kids are into nature, which it sounds like they are, then they probably would like that too.

Reactions: Kento

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
By “they“ you mean news media and government liar hacks and NOT the actual weather forecast models.

We’ll see.

”Hype machine” is inadequate in describing the utter bullshit we’re being foisted upon us.

If only someone would invent a way to capture and store all the runoff…

Better head to Trader Joe’s right now and clear the shelves.

Shelter In Place!™️

PS: go find the “hurricane” thread and read what I wrote there.
It’s Wednesday on Kauai’s north shore. Can I say mudslides, flooding & chaos for portions of California?

Reactions: hammies

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you all. Such trying times. It has been one hurdle after another. Moving up here during Covid, pretty much winging it, was tough. I have made a few acquaintances/friends over the few years via exactly what you said, around other kids activities and my own. But it's hard to maintain as I am constantly racing against time. So it's like here and there and next thing I know, 4 months have gone by.

We do try to laugh at the ridiculousness of things but it is really, really tough. Kids and 11 and 9, daughter is the older and with ASD/ADHD. New meds have helped a bit but just dealing with the sh!t that results drives a huge wedge between my wife and I, not because we disagree about anything majorly in particular, but we are so mentally and emotionally exhausted, it's really hard for us to even just sit back and relax without this constant emotional weight. I love my daughter very much but every day is a massive pain in the ass, having to endure being shrieked at as a result of every demand, no matter how mundane. No, I'm not killing myself - it would devastate my kids and I want to see them grow up; put in way too much work in to not see them grow strong. It is very hard not to despair a lot at times.

The stress has been causing self-destruction too. Getting that DUI a year and a half ago was a direct result of that. So many stupid things about that and believe me that has not helped the financial burden although finally getting through it and really, that sh!t was destiny the way I was going, there was a further bottom but I saw enough at that point. Thought I'd lost everything so am grateful I didn't and am overall much healthier for it - probably saving a fair amount of money in the process. But the thing is, it's really a symptom, not the overall problem. Just stress, always feeling like I can never stop and smell the roses, a constant rush from one thing to another.

Oh man no question. In some ways, it's easier than surfing as I generally know within a 5 minute range of when I will be done. In other ways, it does get in the way of work/family obligations so I have to be creative in when I run. There is definite friction when I try to squeeze too much in, even though I still pull everything off. Problem there too is it's a pretty solo endeavor so she's really the only person I can share it with and she's understandably blase about it. My other problem with running is that I know I am nowhere close to peaking and where/when does it end?

I hear you on the "small social circle, just the fam", insular feeling of not connecting with others. It's similar for us and my best decision making never came from feeling isolated. I also relate to the ____ fill in the blank activity being easier than surfing with a contracted schedule. The schedule constraints can suck the joy out of it and it's not as easy around here as running down to the parking lot and zipping out for 45 minutes around here all the time.

I didn't look to see if this was covered already, but telehealth has come a long way. Working with a therapist on zoom (no commuting is nice on the scheduling), or meeting in person, then transferring to virtual meetings, can help. It can at least lend an ear and perspective when you're feeling locked in.

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
my buddy said it correctly, “once u have kids ur life is over…”

wouldnt trade it for anything tho but i too barely surf anymore
Then, you get the kids out of the house and the next thing is taking care of your aging parents. Which is kind of like having toddlers with checkbooks and credit cards. At least until the medical stuff gets really bad. Then you get yourself past that and the next thing is you become the toddler with the checkbook and credit cards.

Times up.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I hear you on the "small social circle, just the fam, insular feeling of not connecting with others. It's similar for us and my best decision making never came from feeling isolated. I also relate to the ____ fill in the blank activity being easier than surfing with a contracted schedule. The schedule constraints can suck the joy out of it and it's not as easy around here as running down to the parking lot and zipping out for 45 minutes around here all the time.

I didn't look to see if this was covered already, but telehealth has come a long way. Working with a therapist on zoom (no commuting is nice on the scheduling), or meeting in person, then transferring to virtual meetings, can help. It can at least lend an ear and perspective when you're feeling locked in.
We feel like we have a small social circle, too. Mainly b/c we're not religious, and it seems like every other family around here is. We were driving my son and a friend from his sailing team back from racing, and she said that we're the first people besides her dad that she met who are atheist. She was so shocked/thrilled.

Then, you get the kids out of the house and the next thing is taking care of your aging parents. Which is kind of like having toddlers with checkbooks and credit cards. At least until the medical stuff gets really bad. Then you get yourself past that and the next thing is you become the toddler with the checkbook and credit cards.

Times up.
Luckily, my mom is already signed up for a retirement home in Carlsbad when she gets to that point.

Reactions: npsp and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
@Kento... when I'm up in your neck of the woods, I love to trail run at Shiloh Regional Park or Armstrong Woods. Something about jogging up/down oak-covered hills and into redwood canyons is therapeutic. If your kids are into nature, which it sounds like they are, then they probably would like that too.
Shiloh is where I have been prepping for the Lake Sonoma 50 race. Less than a 10 minute run from my house. The trail going up from the cemetery is an asskicker. Running is therapeutic but at same time introduces another element of stress as I am putting up pretty lofty goals for myself, which requires training and time.

The kids balk but once they are out there, they love it. Nature is one thing we push them into a lot although it takes a bit of a push.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Times up.
The cycle of life. Between the grandkids (10 and 11) and her mom (83) la ogra spends half of her time in town.