CA people: this seems like good news - is it? how bad is this situation?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
the so cal guys should be thanking god/satan every day for pendelton...

just imagine...

:drowning:
Same in Hawaii.

When I lived in California I always surfed Church and DMJ.

Between those two you got world class surf.

I once mentioned to my Hawaiian cousin how I am torn about the military base but it is nice seeing the land not overrun and built up by rich people.

He got salty and told me its a very imperialistic view.

Reactions: donuts

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I think (hope) the reason California and Hawaii are pretty adamant about coastal access is to avoid a situation like the north east. Because if you give an inch, guess what, you could end up losing the access you already have. It's policing the principle.
Yup.

I was about 20 y/o and we were playing a gig in Ashbury Park, NJ.
I had met a young lassie at the last show and we went down to the beach to swim. We drifted to the north to where other people were, and this sunscreened agro bro lifeguard started yelling at us to get out of the water.
I seriously had NO IDEA what was happening. Then he says it's a private beach.
I was floored. I had no idea such a thing existed. It seemed freaking wrong to me.
I subsequently learned about many terrible things like that from the erBB and elsewhere.
Fck. That.
beaches are public
They should be given much more money to manage barntardary behavior and facilities.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Same in Hawaii.

I once mentioned to my Hawaiian cousin how I am torn about the military base but it is nice seeing the land not overrun and built up by rich people.

cottons and all the spots south - super funzone!!! :dancing:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Yup.

I was about 20 y/o and we were playing a gig in Ashbury Park, NJ.
I had met a young lassie at the last show and we went down to the beach to swim. We drifted to the north to where other people were, and this sunscreened agro bro lifeguard started yelling at us to get out of the water.
I seriously had NO IDEA what was happening. Then he says it's a private beach.
I was floored. I had no idea such a thing existed. It seemed freaking wrong to me.
I subsequently learned about many terrible things like that from the erBB and elsewhere.
Fck. That.
beaches are public
They should be given much more money to manage barntardary behavior and facilities.
for many years there was NO surfing 24/7 in a.p.

for many years you could get a ticket for walking on the boardwalk without a shirt in seaside heights ( there were less fat slobs then too... )

still private beach clubs in sea bright, i think.
you gotta pay for a beach badge during season most towns here...

Reactions: Boneroni

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
One home owner in Malibu gets fined 4.2 million, imagine what they could fine the Hollister group.
Big difference though.

The Malibu case had once had an easement that was illegally blocked. The Ranch has always been private.

Also, anyone can go to The Ranch. What is being forced on the owners is car access.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
And everyone who owns and buys a boat in 805 together in the line up...
I could not believe it the last time I was there. A fucking flotilla of boats , fuckery and surfers of all abilities everywhere.

Mid week in 1998 you could surf with no one else around! Maybe some urchin divers in a crusty boat.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I could not believe it the last time I was there. A fucking flotilla of boats , fuckery and surfers of all abilities everywhere.

Mid week in 1998 you could surf with no one else around! Maybe some urchin divers in a crusty boat.
This can’t possibly be true. The Ranch is private and there’s no access to anyone who isn’t a super wealthy 1% hedge fund dot com CPA lawyer corporate mega billionaire!

You must be lying!!!!!!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Malibu. This sh!t has been going on for 60 years or more. The sheriff caters to the rich and famous.

On the other hand I lived waterfront next to beach access for a few years. Drunken fights, broken bottles, screaming matches, people climbing over the fence to use my outdoor shower and deck. It was fvcked. Most of you people are pigs.
Malibu Sheriff in action-

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
This can’t possibly be true. The Ranch is private and there’s no access to anyone who isn’t a super wealthy 1% hedge fund dot com CPA lawyer corporate mega billionaire!

You must be lying!!!!!!

I'm with it - though from vague stories it seems like there is the occasional old guy who may confront anyone who steps foot on this 'private beach' - mean high tide is still a thing over there (yay or nay)

What's the deal with surf boaters who want to paddle in to relax on the sand?

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I walked in to Razors at low tide a few times (jog, paddle, jog, paddle) and even surfed this weird little reef east of there I don't know the name of. I was alone, nobody ever said sh!t to me. Pretty much wasn't worth it wave-wise, but it is beautiful.

Reactions: santacruzin

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
melancholy for old california aside, i really dont get how the ranch association can be forced to allow vehicular access.

there are miles of california coastline that are flanked by no/limited access private and govt. lands.

seems like it violates private property and equal protection laws. if the state wants to force access to the ranch, then the same should apply to the entire coastline regardless of ownership.

you think federal and state lands, military bases, uc research facilities, power plants, and all private lands are next?

just a year ago state and local authorities were denying access to public beaches in ca. access is never going to be equal but i think the ranch ass lawyers have good cause to tie this sh!t up for decades

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The Ranch is already pretty crowded. Max boaters on any weekend or good swell weekday, plus owners and friends. If you live there you can still score the goods during off-peak hours but those times are getting fewer and fewer. If they allow unlimited drive-ins it will be a total shitshow, and not just in the water.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Same in Hawaii.

World class?? Bahahaahahha