CA Beaches Done

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
"The beaches will close at 10 p.m. on July 3 and reopen at 6 a.m. on July 5. The Council vote also gives City Manager Grace Leung authority to close the beaches on July 3 and/or July 5 if it is deemed necessary. . "

are they closed or not closed?
at least you got full day Friday and Sunday. LA is closed 12am the 3rd to the 5am the 6th

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Who the f-ck surfs on July 4th weekend anyway?

lol

I try to stay as far away from the beach as possible.
In general I agree with you about the beach on the 4th, but one of like two times I've been stuck in Florida for the 4th in years and years, there was a windswell running, one of those where there's stomach-chest high peaks everywhere, and it was consistent enough that if you couldn't duckdive you weren't surfing, and being able to walk there means no parking issues. Really fun weekend and given the newb/log/bather symphony of destruction, it was like an invisible force field of peace.

That said California has a reputation for being packed at nautical twilight and combined with South Swell being inconsistent and I guess requiring "a spot" to break up that long period, plus summer plus weekend plus holiday crowds, I get it.

But yeah the Rona suxballz. I should be getting on a plane tomorrow night instead my best bet is renting an AirBnB in Palatka to GTFO.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Weird bubble here in my corner of the DMA but I’ll take it...Nowhere to park when most everyone is home. Beach only ever gets medium crowded and if there actually happens to be waves (rare) these are the peaks, all within a short walk from my living room. Surprising given our proximity to the largest city in the country, with the most bugged out and battered populace. And the big state beaches like jones and RM can hold a lot of MFers, even during the plague

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What a sh*tshow and damn it's like a third (fourth?) the size up there.

OC beaches seemed locked down although there were a few bodysurfers at the Wedge, which looked pretty damn clean on the cams earlier. All rest of the beaches seem to be pretty walled with a massive longshore current.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Does Charthouse break anymore?
I moved here a year ago and I don't know what anything is called besides Topanga, Sunset (the one just south of Gladstones?), Malibu. I just look for empty-ish waves.

It's possible that the lifeguards are "allowing" am sessions. Public parking lots are all closed but I saw no cops calling anyone out of the water.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Does Charthouse break anymore?
Sunset does. I used to poo poo Sunset as way too much of a beginner wave, but while on the injured list I would look and go, "I could deal with that." I guess the Natural Progression for me now is moving in that direction....

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I moved here a year ago and I don't know what anything is called besides Topanga, Sunset (the one just south of Gladstones?), Malibu. I just look for empty-ish waves.

It's possible that the lifeguards are "allowing" am sessions. Public parking lots are all closed but I saw no cops calling anyone out of the water.
I'm not going to name spots, but I will advise you to drive, and not stop until you are West of Malibu (Surfrider) , and East of Mugu Rock

Reactions: CutnSnip

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006

All day sessions by the looks of it.

Reactions: need 4 speed

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Compared to what the cams are showing at Malibu and Topanga, people seemed to be obeying the closures in the South Bay. I saw five guys out Friday am at MB Pier on the cam, but it seemed pretty short lived. Went for a long walk today to the Cove and there were 10-12 people out. Three boats were anchored out back. The thigh high backing-off waves did not look like they were worth the effort or possible citation for the few people I saw walking out.

On another note, why is the water staying so cool this summer? Santa Monica buoy is showing 65.9º. Usually it's 68-70 this time of year.