C19 Adaption

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Hey you know what's really awesome?

If you stop reading and watching the news and that means basically eliminating all cable TV and being mindful of your internet browsing, this COVID thing literally just disappears from your daily concerns. At least thats how it worked for me.

I used to be very up to the times with world events. Reading Time magazine, checking the news online, etc.

These days, since I eliminated mainstream media and social media from my life, I have no idea what's going on with COVID, the US, the world. I do keep in touch with my local island news but that's it.

Ignorance is bliss...the most underatted statement of the century.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Agree 100%. The past couple Sundays I been watching NFL all day (REDZONE) and MLB. 12 hours straight with some good snacks. No news updates. Feels the best.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I had a full on fuckit mode on Sunday and was cured by watching the Chargers game on the couch at home by myself.

funny what kind of distraction a good sporting event can be, especially when paired with a little self indulgence.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ve been unwell the last 24 hours. As I’ve shared. But I snagged a few out of the pack at lido Escondido just now (manbearpig was that you in the suburban? There was a guy wearing a tree service company t shirt) and got a few fun ones at sunrise This morning somewhere between home and lido . while I am trying to steer myself away from my dependence on surfing as a cure all for everything that ails my aching mind, it was still a lot of fun to pull into closeouts, Get pitched, and even made a couple of clean exits. also vainly satisfying to realize none of the regulars (and sometimes obnoxious regulators) at Lido even recognize me after all the weight I’ve shed since last fall. Unsound crew, flip, etc. they didn’t drop in but I got plenty of side eye for staking a claim on the peak despite not appearing to be a local. I got about 6 waves in an hour, even made a couple lol. This morning was probably the better session. Unmarked stretch of beach, nobody for at least 100 yards in either direction, made a looong left hand barrel all the way to the end section and got that coveted fist pump from some non surfing couple walking the beach enjoying the sunrise. i was also pleased to learn that mrs subway GOT the insurance on our latest phones, because I totaled mine last night when it somehow flew from my hand into the wall with surprising velocity.

oh, after I surfaced from a closeout my board was still airborne and despite covering my head, it managed to land on the left side of my head and put a nice dent in my skull, but luckily did not break the skin (cold wet scalps bleed like a MFer, I know from experience )

Reactions: santacruzin

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I own a small flooring business. It's off 50% Working just as hard for half the money. But I am working. Business will probably break even this year after paying myself. Planning on killing it next year. Hopefully.

Reactions: afoaf

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Hey you know what's really awesome?

If you stop reading and watching the news and that means basically eliminating all cable TV and being mindful of your internet browsing, this COVID thing literally just disappears from your daily concerns. At least thats how it worked for me.

I used to be very up to the times with world events. Reading Time magazine, checking the news online, etc.

These days, since I eliminated mainstream media and social media from my life, I have no idea what's going on with COVID, the US, the world. I do keep in touch with my local island news but that's it.

Ignorance is bliss...the most underatted statement of the century.
The news media is the enemy of the people.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I had a full on fuckit mode on Sunday and was cured by watching the Chargers game on the couch at home by myself.

funny what kind of distraction a good sporting event can be, especially when paired with a little self indulgence.
If you don't have NFL Redzone, get it. They cut to every team that's in the red zone. It's like NFL crack. Great distraction.

The best is when 4-5 teams are in the redzone and they are cutting non stop to whatever team is about to run a play.

Reactions: sdsrfr

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Retirement sooner than expected for me and my peers.
I had hoped to work past 70 like PPK but not anymore.
It's more and more dangerous at work each day.
Incident every other week or so.
We now can only wear N95/KN95 masks and nothing else just no N95.100 3m respirators allowed.
I now have to temp zap incoming employees every morning and ask them 10 stupid questions.

They just told us to psychologically prepare for this type of life/work disruption possible through 2022 definitely through 2021.
Trying to survive not getting covid as a high risk individual for the next 2 years while you are in a daily mix of a hundred or so employees is going to be to much a psychological/emotional burden, so those of us that can leave it behind us probably will.

Its really too bad because like Kind of like Leaverite trying to teach management how to do payroll the world is just getting dumber(in practical knowledge) with each coming generation. There so much more to understand about the world than what's in books, on the internet and in the media.
I pity this device-centric world when the electricity finally fails.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Its really too bad because like Kind of like Leaverite trying to teach management how to do payroll the world is just getting dumber(in practical knowledge) with each coming generation. There so much more to understand about the world than what's in books, on the internet and in the media.
I pity this device-centric world when the electricity finally fails.
I remember when LAUSD pushed to have iPads for every student. My thought was that giving these kids another electronic device might not be the best thing we could do for them. Right now every kid is getting a crash course in technology use. Unfortunately, at least in my classes, most are not rising to the occasion. They're just simply not doing the work.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I remember when LAUSD pushed to have iPads for every student. My thought was that giving these kids another electronic device might not be the best thing we could do for them. Right now every kid is getting a crash course in technology use. Unfortunately, at least in my classes, most are not rising to the occasion. They're just simply not doing the work.
Our school has been providing free portables to students who need them/can't afford them. Early on in the program the quaity of the equipment was pretty decent but as time has passed the equipment has been getting shabbier and shabbier. Just another level of difficulty and inequality added when you have one group of students using new, fast, powerful tech and another group using old, outdated junk.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
hmmm....all the old timers who know how to do anything in every field seem to be retiring.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
They're on their second wave:

Not all of it:
1600831356211.png

1600831377087.png

Reactions: racer1

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
hmmm....all the old timers who know how to do anything in every field seem to be retiring.

Cost.

The bottom line. That, more than anything is driving it, at least where I work. Offering large, attractive retirement incentives. Getting rid of the people at the top of the salary schedule and bringing in cheaper labor starting at the bottom. The experience lost dosen't seem to matter, only the effect on the districts budget/bottom line.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Cost.

The bottom line. That, more than anything is driving it, at least where I work. Offering large, attractive retirement incentives. Getting rid of the people at the top of the salary schedule and bringing in cheaper labor starting at the bottom. The experience lost dosen't seem to matter, only the effect on the districts budget/bottom line.
It's the same in every industry. You get what you pay for.

If the quality of the service doesn't matter, why do it at all?

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's the same in every industry. You get what you pay for.

If the quality of the service doesn't matter, why do it at all?
I don't think quality of service ranks high on the list for any State of California agency any longer. It will be interesting when the next Accredidation round takes place.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Send some of those incentives down this way. Was planning my exit, but now I'm waiting for things to stabilize. More work than ever. No one is showing me the door yet.