Buying on AliExpress?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I bought recently direct from China and the product (so far) is of the same quality and performance of my previous "American" product I bought. I'm sure this doesn't translate to all things we buy, but it saved me about $200.

Other than taking 17 days to deliver, I'm pretty pleased. Anyone else have experience cutting out the middle man?

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
it's hit or miss. Sometimes you get an equal product, other times you get some cheap knock off that doesn't match the photo and quality sucks so bad you wish you had just spent the money on the 'American' item.

A bigger concern of mine is manufacturing materials, such as lead and other stuff, since the many of the products on there probably don't go through any kind of QA checks or testing.

Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
it's hit or miss. Sometimes you get an equal product, other times you get some cheap knock off that doesn't match the photo and quality sucks so bad you wish you had just spent the money on the 'American' item.

A bigger concern of mine is manufacturing materials, such as lead and other stuff, since the many of the products on there probably don't go through any kind of QA checks or testing.
I've been looking at tennis/pickleball shoes as I go through a pair every 2-3 months. Haven't found any yet, but my pickleball paddle seems to be of the same quality.

Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I've been looking at tennis/pickleball shoes as I go through a pair every 2-3 months. Haven't found any yet, but my pickleball paddle seems to be of the same quality.
Way back in day, I used to order shoes by the 100 on baba, then sell them individually on eBay for a slight profit. Too much work though with the packaging and trips to post office. Never quite had it automated enough. The shoes were decent quality though.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Way back in day, I used to order shoes by the 100 on baba, then sell them individually on eBay for a slight profit. Too much work though with the packaging and trips to post office. Never quite had it automated enough. The shoes were decent quality though.
What size was your best seller?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I know a guy that got swindled on pricey golf clubs that ended up being unusable knockoffs. Maybe stick to stuff the Chinese can’t phuck up.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
What size was your best seller?
in US, size 8 for women is the most popular size in America, so those went fast. After that, size 7. Only did adult sized shoes and always the tennis / running styles in basic colors.

At the time I thought about doing it with other products as well such as wetsuits, school backpacks, etc. but at the time, I was young, had rented a tiny room in a tiny house in SLO with roommates, no money for storage of products, etc. Just couldn't work out the logistics in my poor man thinking brain.

For example, the wetsuits I was going to sell, you had to buy in lots of 50 or 100 and at the time, it came out to about $22-25/suit. Incredibly cheap. Could have sold them easily for $45 or $50 on eBay. But that's a lot of space needed (and shipping boxes).

Reactions: shiratofu602

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I've bought a few things on ebay direct from China, mostly techie things and they've all been good except one time they sent the wrong size but they said keep it and refunded. As long as there's no hurry for it. They are all still operational even after a few years.
Yes I feel guilty doing it but my wallet likes it.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Good for minor stuff. Also good for some toys for the kids, like plush toys of the latest trend and whatnot. Over protective parents would probably disagree.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
get the Babalots that have a 6 month guarantee. Send you a new pair if you can go thru the soles in less than six

Reactions: Kaser1

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Thanks! Just ordered a pair.
PB on hardcourts is not sole friendly. Been buying the low end Nike for $50 and last me several months. Then just buy a new pair as buying the high end stuff lasts about the same. I havent done the Babalots "yet" but a guy who plays daily takes advantage of the deal.