brukuns does SoCal - September

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Stay in north county SD a few days. I will take you DMJ. Hell, we can park at church and you can walk 300 yards up the beach to lowers. I can't believe you havent surfed in a year. A weekday DMJ session better for you. No crowd.
There's not much better in the area than weekdays at DMJ.

If there's swell hit DMJ and then both of you shoot up to Mugu and lets get barreled. If I remember right you have access...if not I have room for 4 passengers in my truck.

Reactions: gbg and brukuns

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Sometimes April can be awesome in N county.

There was one April where is was pumping for 6 weeks. Combo swells and wind swells

And glassy in the evenings.

I was surfing 3 times a day.

Finally I had to rest.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Use TURO.

There's a car for every price point.
hmm, that's interesting. Like Airbnb for cars? I'll check it out, never heard of it before.

Regardless I already made a reservation on Hertz. Managed to upgrade to their Gold status for having The Platinum card from amex, so decent discount which includes an upgrade. Can cancel anytime too, but good to have something already lined up.

One thing that popped up that's worrying the sh!t out of me though. I booked with Avianca as their prices were so much cheaper than the other companies... when I told my sister she was shocked... she travelled a couple times with them the past 2 years and it was a total sh!t show. Flights cancelled, premium seats that simply didn't exist when she got there (not even the pre-selected seats, premium or not), everything that could go wrong would go wrong. She had trouble both flying to Orlando and also traveling back from the Caribbean. Going to Orlando, the outbound flight was cancelled and she had to come back the next day, missing the first day of hotel reservations + the inconvenience... on the flight back her pre-selected plus seats simply didn't exist, they almost made the family stay on separate seats.

I paid for comfort plus and can cancel at no charge, but damn, tickets from other airlines are going for almost double the price... I'm still looking and seriously considering cancelling as soon as I find another option that's at least not that more expensive... but that airline is such a sh!t show that I'm afraid even cancelling can be quite a task... that was a bucket of cold water but what can you do. I'm getting ready to just deal with whatever sh!t show they throw my way, but it would be great if I managed to find decent tickets from another airline. (I would be seriously pissed if I got there and they told me my pre-selected seats aren't available like they did to my sister)

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
There's not much better in the area than weekdays at DMJ.

If there's swell hit DMJ and then both of you shoot up to Mugu and lets get barreled. If I remember right you have access...if not I have room for 4 passengers in my truck.
I need someone that wants to surf Mugu this season. Split a room one or even 2 nights. Its hard to coordinate schedules and I have a 3 day weekend twice a month. Sometimes off Fri. Sometimes Mon. If I surf there Friday morning I leave Chula at 330 to get through LA.

Reactions: tenover and brukuns

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Same as Mugu.

Mugu needs less swell for fun waves and is open to even steeper SSE swells. Offshore canyon plus plus wedge = more fun.
DMJ needs some south, but likes some combo to make it peakier.

Pretty much anyone with US Identification, registration, insurance is able to get onto Pendleton to surf DMJ's if you go through the main gate. I've never been turned away when I said "I'm going to meet some friends at Del Mar Beach". Mugu is significantly more difficult to access. You already know if you can get on or not.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
hmm, that's interesting. Like Airbnb for cars? I'll check it out, never heard of it before.

Regardless I already made a reservation on Hertz. Managed to upgrade to their Gold status for having The Platinum card from amex, so decent discount which includes an upgrade. Can cancel anytime too, but good to have something already lined up.

One thing that popped up that's worrying the sh!t out of me though. I booked with Avianca as their prices were so much cheaper than the other companies... when I told my sister she was shocked... she travelled a couple times with them the past 2 years and it was a total sh!t show. Flights cancelled, premium seats that simply didn't exist when she got there (not even the pre-selected seats, premium or not), everything that could go wrong would go wrong. She had trouble both flying to Orlando and also traveling back from the Caribbean. Going to Orlando, the outbound flight was cancelled and she had to come back the next day, missing the first day of hotel reservations + the inconvenience... on the flight back her pre-selected plus seats simply didn't exist, they almost made the family stay on separate seats.

I paid for comfort plus and can cancel at no charge, but damn, tickets from other airlines are going for almost double the price... I'm still looking and seriously considering cancelling as soon as I find another option that's at least not that more expensive... but that airline is such a sh!t show that I'm afraid even cancelling can be quite a task... that was a bucket of cold water but what can you do. I'm getting ready to just deal with whatever sh!t show they throw my way, but it would be great if I managed to find decent tickets from another airline. (I would be seriously pissed if I got there and they told me my pre-selected seats aren't available like they did to my sister)
brah Avianca sucks! I took them down to el salvadore last year. just like you said - cancellations, re-multiple schedules even the day of my flights, hidden baggage costs even though we pre paid for everything..and for an international 12+ hour flight i cant even imagine.

unfortuneatly i gotta fly them again soon coming back from el salvadore next month. found Delta flight down there but only Avianca coming back.

• Angry
Reactions: brukuns

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Mugu needs less swell for fun waves and is open to even steeper SSE swells. Offshore canyon plus plus wedge = more fun.

Pretty much anyone with US Identification, registration, insurance is able to get onto Pendleton to surf DMJ's if you go through the main gate. I've never been turned away when I said "I'm going to meet some friends at Del Mar Beach". Mugu is significantly more difficult to access. You already know if you can get on or not.
When was the last time you got on pendleton to surf without a CAC Card? I thought those days were over after 9/11.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
When was the last time you got on pendleton to surf without a CAC Card? I thought those days were over after 9/11.
I've always rolled solo and I've never been turned away. Things may be different now, but I never had a problem. At most, I had to walk my license, registration, and insurance into the building/tent.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
brah Avianca sucks! I took them down to el salvadore last year. just like you said - cancellations, re-multiple schedules even the day of my flights, hidden baggage costs even though we pre paid for everything..and for an international 12+ hour flight i cant even imagine.

unfortuneatly i gotta fly them again soon coming back from el salvadore next month. found Delta flight down there but only Avianca coming back.
I cancelled that ticket and requested a refund. I bought the L tariff, the description said you could get a refund until the week before the flight... but they're shady AF so I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed they only refund the purchase if cancelled 24 hours after emission.

Bought different tickets today with American Airlines, much better. Problem is I'm running the risk of having to pay for both sets of tickets and then be forced to make a second trip at the latest day I can reschedule (if the fuckers don't just reimburse me that is).

New dates are earlier... figured my kid could use the warm weather to get a better kick out of legoland and its water parks... Seaworld if we go there. even just enjoying the beach too. I get there now on Sept/13, leaving on the 26th.

Reactions: CutnSnip

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I cancelled that ticket and requested a refund. I bought the L tariff, the description said you could get a refund until the week before the flight... but they're shady AF so I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed they only refund the purchase if cancelled 24 hours after emission.

Bought different tickets today with American Airlines, much better. Problem is I'm running the risk of having to pay for both sets of tickets and then be forced to make a second trip at the latest day I can reschedule (if the fuckers don't just reimburse me that is).

New dates are earlier... figured my kid could use the warm weather to get a better kick out of legoland and its water parks... Seaworld if we go there. even just enjoying the beach too. I get there now on Sept/13, leaving on the 26th.
You should take vm and the greaseball up on their offer. That’s some serious cali kine aloha.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018

we used to say we were going paintballing - they let us right in.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018

yea man youre better off. cant put a price on comfort and piece of min d. its one thing hopping on one of their planes for a 5 hour flight. From Brazil to LAX - no effing way!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It's getting closer. Hotels set up. Dates September:

Near LAX (Hawthorne) - 13 - 17

Newport Beach - 17 - 20

San Diego (near La Jolla) - 20 - 24

Near LAX (Hawthorne) - 24-26

Keeping the trip light to avoid too much driving with the little dude.

Than it's back to shithole realm...