Bozeman real estate.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Uphill from Hilo?
Hilo is one of my favorites. So much good, fresh food. Nice people. Yes, some hippies and drugs, but overall nice, local people.
Considered the center of modern Hawaiian culture. Cool vibes.
Lots of rain but also a few really fun surf spots.
The local produce is amazing. Seeing Mauna Kea in the background is inspiring. Like seeing the Rockies.
Also you can drive to other parts of the island that feel totally different.
There's also the Merrie Monarch Hula Festival every year that is a lot of fun.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Grand parents and Uncles lived Hilo side when I was a kid. Love that place. The houses deep in the boondocks outside of town are close enough to get to Hilo but far enough away where people don't bother you. I haven't been back in years but I need to make it over there at some point.

I wonder how Hilo is doing with work from home crowds? Although I think Puna has a way of keeping people there in check.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bluemarlin04

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hilo is one of my favorites. So much good, fresh food. Nice people. Yes, some hippies and drugs, but overall nice, local people.
Considered the center of modern Hawaiian culture. Cool vibes.
Lots of rain but also a few really fun surf spots.
The local produce is amazing. Seeing Mauna Kea in the background is inspiring. Like seeing the Rockies.
Also you can drive to other parts of the island that feel totally different.
There's also the Merrie Monarch Hula Festival every year that is a lot of fun.
Just don't buy beachfront property. I remember hearing about something that happened in 1960. Or was it 1946?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
oh please lord give me 10 more years of fat marketing budgets and marketing managers who don't know what they're doing
Fukking amen to that. Things are heating up in my particular little media world

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m in midtown chowing on short rib rigatoni. 8 am dentist nearby, I feel like I’m in a cabin

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Reactions: rice

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've had my eye of this house for a while. In my price range. Just don't know what it would be like living a 30 minute drive to the nearest town. Obviously not a situation most would like because it's been on the market for a long time.

Looks damp and dark. Living deep in the forest like that would be weird. Would have to cut some trees down to create a clearing somewhere to get some sun.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I've had my eye of this house for a while. In my price range. Just don't know what it would be like living a 30 minute drive to the nearest town. Obviously not a situation most would like because it's been on the market for a long time.

Garrapata is español for tick. Sounds enchanting.

Depending on how crazy you’re willing to drive it’s an hour to the closest grocery store in Zihuatanejo, 1/2 hour to La Union, not a real grocery store, produce and meat suck and La Union is in general a pita to do anything.

How does the boss feel about living in the middle of nowhere?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Just don't buy beachfront property. I remember hearing about something that happened in 1960. Or was it 1946?
Tidal wave ... April Fools day ~ 4/1/1946 ~ wiped out Hilo
(edit) and 1960
both earthquake related
Alaska and Chile
(edit) For those that have visited Kauai and drove down the hill to the beach at Kalihiwai, That, was the main road to Princeville and onto Hanalei. After the 2nd tidal wave of 1960, the road / highway was moved higher to where the Kalihiwai Bridge is today and continues on to Princeville and westward.

Last edited:
Reactions: racer1

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
lol about cutting down trees for light.
Looks damp and dark. Living deep in the forest like that would be weird. Would have to cut some trees down to create a clearing somewhere to get some sun.
I'm sitting here in the PNW LMAO at this comment. That place is neither deep in the forest nor dark.

1613683270661.png

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
lol about cutting down trees for light.

I'm sitting here in the PNW LMAO at this comment. That place is neither deep in the forest nor dark.

View attachment 105312

Was at funeral in Oregon two years back.

In attendance was someone from Texas.

At the graveyard he and I are talking about everything except the dead person while waiting for the event to start.

He says, "It sure is pretty around here, but I couldn't do it."

"What?"

He says, "Live here. Its too dark, trees everywhere, its like a bear or mt. lion or something could jump out at any moment."

*looking around the graveyard*

"Uhhh, here?" (actual image of said graveyard where we are having this discussion, we're pretty much in the center of the image...marina at top of image was just ruined during the snowstorm this weekend past, snow induced collapses)

1613691340701.png

He says, "Yeah, that ravine over there is nothing but trees, shrubs, stickers."

"Oh. Yeah, the ravines are pretty thick, but you don't live in there. They can be fun to hike through or if you're kid, you can play jungle warfare in 'em (this guy was in the army at an earlier point in his life so I thought mentioning that us kids played 'war' would further cement the commonality)."

He says, "Its not just the trees, its the low clouds, the rain, the mist, its just, i don't know, all together, its just spooky, like something is there hidden, waiting for you."

At that point I was just glad we weren't in the old part of the cemetery (Henry Weinhard of local brewing fame is buried at the lower right):
1613692117567.png

Reactions: Kaido and One-Off

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Was at funeral in Oregon two years back.

In attendance was someone from Texas.

At the graveyard he and I are talking about everything except the dead person while waiting for the event to start.

He says, "It sure is pretty around here, but I couldn't do it."

"What?"

He says, "Live here. Its too dark, trees everywhere, its like a bear or mt. lion or something could jump out at any moment."

*looking around the graveyard*

"Uhhh, here?" (actual image of said graveyard where we are having this discussion, we're pretty much in the center of the image...marina at top of image was just ruined during the snowstorm this weekend past, snow induced collapses)

View attachment 105317

He says, "Yeah, that ravine over there is nothing but trees, shrubs, stickers."

"Oh. Yeah, the ravines are pretty thick, but you don't live in there. They can be fun to hike through or if you're kid, you can play jungle warfare in 'em (this guy was in the army at an earlier point in his life so I thought mentioning that us kids played 'war' would further cement the commonality)."

He says, "Its not just the trees, its the low clouds, the rain, the mist, its just, i don't know, all together, its just spooky, like something is there hidden, waiting for you."

At that point I was just glad we weren't in the old part of the cemetery (Henry Weinhard of local brewing fame is buried at the lower right):
View attachment 105319
He needs to visit the piney woods in east texas. If not for the enlightenment at least for the barbecue.