Booming economy? Americans are still BROKE-BROKE

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I hate to say it but ifall, Duffy, and BillyO are on point in this thread. We all want to be rich and live extravagant lifestyles. 40-50 years ago when you didn’t have enough money you didn’t spend it. Loans were for homes, cars, and businesses.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
hal9000 said:
I hate to say it but ifall, Duffy, and BillyO are on point in this thread. We all want to be rich and live extravagant lifestyles. 40-50 years ago when you didn’t have enough money you didn’t spend it. Loans were for homes, cars, and businesses.
12 years ago I was massively in debt and hemorrhaging money. My monthly nut was unsustainable, I was barely treading water with my business and I was getting sh!t faced drunk every day.

Today, my only debt is my mortgage payment. My home will be paid off in 4 years. I don’t buy anything that I don’t have the cash for.

I stopped drinking 10 years ago.

Having a clear mind and very little debt has been the most liberating thing in my life. It’s allowed me to put my son in a good middle school and he will be going into high school with a very solid foundation for success.

We’re saving money. If I’m lucky I might be able to retire before I die.

12 years ago I couldn’t even picture in my mind how to get here. So I never actually did try to imagine it. We (my wife and I) just took little steps every day and made little choices at every turn that steered us to this place we occupy now.

Choices.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
the financial meltdown, wherein the folks that mostly caused it get off with bonuses and loads of everyone else get fleeced
I didn’t get fleeced.

And while I agree that a lot of people got away with a lot of shenanigans I fail to see how punishing them would help anyone who did “get fleeced”.

rapidly mounting college costs
Supply and demand. When the government is handing out truck loads of money in the form of student loans they artificially increase demand for college degrees which raises the cost of going to college which turns into bigger loans which raises the cost, bigger loans, higher costs, bigger loans......

Maybe with all that college learnin’ goin’ on somebody could take an econ 101 class :shrug:

rapidly mounting health care costs
The more we separate the user (patient) from the payment for services (insurance) the more demand on services and....see above.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Coat Hanger said:
"The OECD report mostly looks at data in the years leading up roughly to the time of Trump’s win in 2016"

:roflmao:

Poor josh He's stupid. :roflmao:
vonmeister - you got one of these yet?

https://www.reaxraft.com/en/promo-raft-luglio/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64mq8tKT3AIVkn5-Ch2qyAtREAEYASAAEgIsY_D_BwE

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Duffy said:
the financial meltdown, wherein the folks that mostly caused it get off with bonuses and loads of everyone else get fleeced
I didn’t get fleeced.

And while I agree that a lot of people got away with a lot of shenanigans I fail to see how punishing them would help anyone who did “get fleeced”.

rapidly mounting college costs
Supply and demand. When the government is handing out truck loads of money in the form of student loans they artificially increase demand for college degrees which raises the cost of going to college which turns into bigger loans which raises the cost, bigger loans, higher costs, bigger loans......

Maybe with all that college learnin’ goin’ on somebody could take an econ 101 class :shrug:

rapidly mounting health care costs
The more we separate the user (patient) from the payment for services (insurance) the more demand on services and....see above.
I think by punishing them we'd accomplish two things:

First, that would have slowed the assloads of cash and favors the gov't sent to that industry and also slowed down the growing income disparity a bit.

Second, it would have not created the giant moral hazard we have now, where nearly a generation of people in finance think that the biggest penalty they or their company will face for bad behavior is a fine - most likely paid by the shareholders.

Agree on your last two points. I'd add in "the more we separate the user (patient) from the cost of the monthly premium for health care..."

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Janitor - the Federal Reserve and their cohort of Central Banks (ECB, BOJ) literally work for Wall Street. Understand that and it all makes sense. The problem, however, is that their belief that they can literally mechanic the global economy to their will(s) without err is folly. Worth 20 minutes of your time:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1057/s11369-016-0012-2