bonzer templates

Jan 12, 2004
San diego
Does anyone know where i can get acess to some current bonzer templates and fin placement guides. I've been riding a 6'2" thicky single fin for about a year and am trying to ween myself off it. Not for small waves! A narrower tail tean what I've seen around and 6'4"ish is what I'm thinking. thanks!

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
You can Bonzer any template you want. Just like a thruster.

The fin placement is stickier. Red-X makes removable Bonzer fins. I believe Malcolm helped them put together some directions on fin placement that go with the system. If you have the ability to put a fin system in, that is probably the easiest way. Ask Tom@Daum. He's with Red-X and he posts here.

Waldo

Duke status
Jan 24, 2002
Shangri-La
If you're not exactly sure of fin placement on the Bonzer, I'd highly recommend the Red-X fin system. Not only are they strong, but they're adjustable about 1" front-to-back. Adjusting the position of the fin cluster has made a huge difference on my bonzer (and I'm still tweaking).

Waldo

Duke status
Jan 24, 2002
Shangri-La
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by need 4 speed:
<strong>Care to elaborate Waldo</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I started with the Red-X side fins all centered in their boxes, and the center fin in Malcolm's recommended position (I think it was 1/2" to 3/4" behind the trailing edge of the rear side fins, but I've now forgotten).

The board felt good, with great holding power, but was tight off the top (much like me!).

I bumped the center fin forward a couple of times. I'd heard that minor adjustments made big differences on the Bonzers, so I only moved it about 1/4" each time. I stopped when the leading edge of the center fin was even with the trailing edge of the rear side fins.

It still wasn't quite as pivotal off the top as I wanted, so I moved the rear side fins up about 3/8" in their slots, and moved the center fin up the same amount. Tightening up the overall fin cluster and bringing everything forward like that brought the board to life. The holding power is still great (with the stock 6-1/2" bonzer template center fin), but it's much more pivotal off the top. A couple months ago, I did the two best off-the-lip snaps of my life, back to back on an overhead wave at Oceanside - all power, with no slide. I was beyond stoked!

I'd still like it if the board released a little more easily when coming out of a bottom turn and unweighting up the face, so I'll continue tweaking the fin positions (and trying different center fins). I suspect that having the fin area spread out along the rail - as opposed to a single side fin further up, as you'd have on a thruster - makes it a bit harder to really square off and redirect up the face. But I can't complain - I'm nowhere near good enough to adequately analyze the performance limits of this board design. I just know that without the ability to adjust the fin placement, I wouldn't be nearly as happy with it as I am now.

My only gripe with the Red-X system is that I keep losing the stick-on covers that go on the deck side. I wish they had a different design that was flush with the deck. But if I liked to use traction pads, that'd be a non-issue, and the performance of the system outweighs that gripe.

All in all, I'm stoked!