Bonzer daily driver

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
YO that epoxy 5'4 B5 with the jet tail that one of the Campbell Brothers posted on their IG looks amazing. Ad 2-3' and I'd DD that.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
to me they seem kind of specialized not really a groveler for mush but more of a high performance board which takes it out of the daily driver realm depending on the waves you surf.
Surfed a friends original three fin version in the 70's, the one that had the big bonzer words printed in the bottom channels. That and the concaved deck G&S waterskate were the two most advanced designs I saw at a time when everyone was riding beak nosed single fins from brewer/lopez/parrish.

And many years later in the early 90's i picked up one of Davey Miller's old mini swallow 5 fins shaped by rawson. It was very fast but tended to pivot off the brewer center than a thruster but I like how they drove like a single than the hip shimmy shake multi staged turn that thrusters required.

In the 2000's I got a used Malcom 9'0 5 fin but it was a little too heavy and not enough rocker for my liking.

They are still really good boards and it's an iconic design

Reactions: rowjimmytour

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
the hip shimmy shake multi staged turn that thrusters required.
That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Don't need a groveler. Under waist high and I'm probably grabbing a longer board. It's the waist high to a foot or two overhead range that calls for a DD. Above that and South Bay beaches close out ( they're actually almost always closed out) and I move over to the reefs and use a completely different board.

Last edited: