#boatlife

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The pup enjoying himself. I was launching when I looked back to see him swimming out to join.
View attachment 114375
Is that yours? Is it a Hobie 14 with jib kit? Looks too small to be a 16 and it's sitting low on its lines. Tip- it's imperative to have your hull plugs in place before you go out. Ask me how I know...

ps The pooch seems to be the skipper. You're just the helmsman

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Is that yours? Is it a Hobie 14 with jib kit? Looks too small to be a 16 and it's sitting low on its lines. Tip- it's imperative to have your hull plugs in place before you go out. Ask me how I know...

ps The pooch seems to be the skipper. You're just the helmsman
I think it’s a 14. Plugs are in. Can’t handle a ton of weight.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
F-27 = foldable ZOOM, take anywhere Tri

A 42 to 46 foot Cat would do me just fine. Lot's of room, can be sailed by two people, one, if you set the boat up correctly. Hard to find a place to dock sometimes due to LOA and width.
Most times moor offshore and dingy in. Being "upright" in a Cat is where it's at!!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My friend had his trailer stolen from the Oceanside harbor trailer lot.

He can't get a new one for a couple of months.

It's a messed up situation.

I wonder if there are boat yards in SD where he could have it lifted out and stored.

The boat yard in Oceanside is full.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Off and on my wife and consider retiring to Utah when the time comes. When ever we have this conversation, I tell my wife my first purchase would be a small foil cat to sail on the different reservoirs to help get my fix.
you could also wing foil.

we've been going to Utah every year for the past 6-7 years. Hard to beat the snow and mtb. Can't stand the alcohol situation, though.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
What is the alcohol situation? I once had an ex who always dreamed of going back to Utah, and she did. One day I got a postcard from Utah, and it had a babies footprints painted on it. Tripped my mom out pretty bad because that was where she knew tomail it but it wasn't mine. Damn hippies.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Speaking of alcohol...what's your preferred beverage when sailing?

I have to say I got hooked on rum and cokes. After a while Captain Morgan was the true skipper of my boat. The longer he was on the helm the worse we did in races...but still had a great time, just glad to make it to the finish line without hitting other boats or getting tangled in lines...

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
you could also wing foil.

we've been going to Utah every year for the past 6-7 years. Hard to beat the snow and mtb. Can't stand the alcohol situation, though.
Wing foiling is an option to. There's almost a 1/2 dozen reservoirs up there that get good wind for real fun small cat sailing, wing foiling etc...
We go up several times a year to visit our good friends that live in Park City. One of my wife's best friends lives in SLC and her husband has a boat and we go up to Strawberry and a couple of the other "remote" reservoirs to fish and get pulled around on toys. I always daydream about sailing a small cat or some kind of small foil boat when we are on the water.
Regarding the Alcohol situation, it is not ideal but you can get most beverages of your choice, just not on Sundays... And yes, if we are driving, I bring my own.
Drink of choice when I was younger and used to race was Bloody Mary's. They're like a super food with alcohol.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Think about that for a sec. BUI is no different than BUI. Maybe more expensive if you hit an expensive yacht, and lots of boaters don't carry insurance and insurance isn't a CA requirement like it is for cars.

I got hooked on jack and cokes. After a while Jack Daniels was the true driver of my car. The longer he was at the wheel the worse I did in races... but still had a great time, just glad I made it home without hitting other people or wrapping around a telephone pole.
:ban:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Think about that for a sec. BUI is no different than BUI. Maybe more expensive if you hit an expensive yacht, and lots of boaters don't carry insurance and insurance isn't a CA requirement like it is for cars.

I got hooked on jack and cokes. After a while Jack Daniels was the true driver of my car. The longer he was at the wheel the worse I did in races... but still had a great time, just glad I made it home without hitting other people or wrapping around a telephone pole.
Every party needs a pooper...

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It was about to devolve into a drunk boating and/or driving anecdote thread I’m glad you intervened with the love

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Devolving.

DUI and BUI are very different, at least the BUI I was doing. They don't call it "Beer Can Racing" or "Wet Wednesdays" for nothing. When you're yacht racing the lanes are miles wide, the vehicles are going 1O mph, tops, are there are about 6 drivers per car. Of course there are no stop signs at the intersections, just drunks yelling "starboard!"

Good times. You should try it

ps I'm not an alcoholic. In fact I'm now practically a teetotaler.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I loved getting shithoused on the Wednesday beer can race boats. Used to crew on a beneteau 41