Boat fire Santa Cruz Island

Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
Wow, I didn't know about that story. Yet it is pretty scary and suspicious at the same time. I have watched some videos on the youtube about what happened and the opinions are different. In my opinion, it cannot be a mystery. I don’t believe in all those things like Bermuda triangle, Megalodon and things like those, forced on National Geographic and Discovery Science! I think that there was something technical, something about the engine maybe, or the coverage. Anyway, I honestly think that a well-reviewed boat mechanic could avoid that to happen. Sadly, the boat wasn’t seen by one and the technical review is very poor.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
"Three safety violations were cited in the indictment, including failing to have a night watch or roving patrol, failing to conduct sufficient fire drills, and failing to conduct sufficient crew training".

34 counts of "seaman's manslaughter". Didn't realize there was a difference in manslaughter on the sea vs. land.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I try not to have other people in charge of my saftey.

Sometimes you can't help it.

Then you have to hope you are lucky.

What a fucking disaster.

Are there any fire suppression systems for boats?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That state should mandate that boats like that have them.

That would be the state doing something good.

That story is so sad.

If I think about it, I can bum myself out.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I try not to have other people in charge of my saftey.

Sometimes you can't help it.

Then you have to hope you are lucky.

What a fucking disaster.

Are there any fire suppression systems for boats?
Supposed to be especially on a boat that size.

Even on my little skiff I have fire extinguishers mounted in very clear spots

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The "nobody on watch" thing was pretty bad, even if it was industry standard practice. I feel bad for the captain and crew and Glenn (boat owner), but worse for the families of the divers. Fucking horrible accident.

• Sad
Reactions: potato-nator

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
bit of an overreaction by me.
sick of seeing this thread, had a a friend on the boat. My good friend‘s wife, she was a saint.
They have family who also post here.

I get it it’s a hot topic , just a bummer to revisit these feelings.
I just wish this thread would disappear.
sorry for your loss dude, but it’s news and if there was wrongdoing that led to your friends death than this is a step towards justice for her loved ones that may help prevent something this horrific and preventable from happening to others.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Guilty! The captain may get up to 10 years. Being a licensed captain is serious business.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Horrible story. Ultimately the captain is responsible and clearly he failed those guests. A night watchman who was awake and a fire extinguisher would most likely have prevented this from escalating.

Reactions: keenfish

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
He'll probably get off early. Lucky guy that he gets to do a few years, even though he was responsible for 30+ people's deaths.