Boards Ridden in 2023

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
5’4” album Plasmic. Fave board of ‘23 without a doubt.
5’7” stretch Superbuzz.
5’10” stretch 2win. Second fave of the year.
6’9” stamps Sultwinn.

More than half my quiver never made it out of the garage. :shrug:

Reactions: j_mac and Aruka

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
For the record, my soloshot indicates that I surfer 114 times in 2023. Every session was filmed by the soloshot (with the exception of 1 or 2 sessions). My estimate, for waves caught in 2023 is 957 waves. On average, that is 2.62 waves caught per day. lol.

Not bad for someone living 40 miles from the coast. lol. The estimated miles are around 9,120 (just surfing). I might try and calculate the gas spent.
You had a great year brother… caught a lot of waves and been in the ocean surfing more than a hundred times. Very good numbers. Cheers and wish you a even greater 2024!

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
You guys are nuts. Do you *really* think you are *that good* of a surfer to notice the difference in an inch(or even 2") of a board in ever-changing conditions?

erBB Answer = "Yes"(In your mind)
Truth= Nope
on a 9' longboar? nah. 5' 6" stock dim shortboar Vs 5' 7" stock dim same model shortboar - of course I can.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
For the record, my soloshot indicates that I surfer 114 times in 2023. Every session was filmed by the soloshot (with the exception of 1 or 2 sessions). My estimate, for waves caught in 2023 is 957 waves. On average, that is 2.62 waves caught per day. lol.

Not bad for someone living 40 miles from the coast. lol. The estimated miles are around 9,120 (just surfing). I might try and calculate the gas spent.
Not too shabby! Last year I did 115 sessions. Anything south of a 100 is a "bad" year, anything north of 140 a good one. I'd guess average would be 20 waves per session if I'm surfing a beachie, 10 when surfing a point. I am comtemplating getting an apple watch to get bit more nerdy with those stats, plus more importantly track what spots I've surfed at which tides and forecasts.
Living in Germany I don't even want to know I very much don't want my wife to know how much money I've spent on traveling for surfing, but basically all income that doesn't go towards the mortgage or the kiddo.

Reactions: Havoc and Mr J

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
on a 9' longboar? nah. 5' 6" stock dim shortboar Vs 5' 7" stock dim same model shortboar - of course I can.
Just to add another consideration to this:
All my borts are 6'2" or 6'3", half n half. Can I tell which is which? No, but that may not be because its not possible. The reason I can't tell is because they vary so much in plan shape, rocker, width, thickness and construction. This makes them different enough from one another that the length difference isn't a distinguishing factor.

Unfortunately this last year I've surfed the least for a decade or two.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Not too shabby! Last year I did 115 sessions. Anything south of a 100 is a "bad" year, anything north of 140 a good one. I'd guess average would be 20 waves per session if I'm surfing a beachie, 10 when surfing a point. I am comtemplating getting an apple watch to get bit more nerdy with those stats, plus more importantly track what spots I've surfed at which tides and forecasts.
Living in Germany I don't even want to know I very much don't want my wife to know how much money I've spent on traveling for surfing, but basically all income that doesn't go towards the mortgage or the kiddo.
I must admit 20 waves per session on beachies and 10 on points is higher than my average for sure. I would guess half of that is my average. I am also thinking of getting a watch (apple or garmin?) to know my stats better and figure out how my heart is working when surfing and running (never done that).

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
2023 highlights
instant connection/works damn well - 5' 7" Flare, 5' 9" VB Secret Menu, 6' 0" VB Secret Menu step-up
boards that I want to surf - 5' 10" Freewing, 6' 0" End, 5' 8" AP Twinsman
Other notable boards (more speciality) - 6' 2" Ledge, 5' 3" Sunstone Hovercraft, 5' 5" BomDisaster

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
You guys are nuts. Do you *really* think you are *that good* of a surfer to notice the difference in an inch(or even 2") of a board in ever-changing conditions?

erBB Answer = "Yes"(In your mind)
Truth= Nope
I had Greg griffin shape me 2 modfishs based on my magic 5’4.
one was 1/4 thicker , one was an inch longer and 1/4 thicker.

they all surf very different. I am not a super ripper but I can tell the difference. maybe because they are all the same model?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You had a great year brother… caught a lot of waves and been in the ocean surfing more than a hundred times. Very good numbers. Cheers and wish you a even greater 2024!
Thanks brotha. Trying to keep the stoke fire burning hot. Best wishes to you as well.

Yep. My wife would use it against me in every argument if she knew the amount of money and miles that surfing took up. Best to let that sleeping dog lie. lol.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Murrieta foo. In the county of Riv, but not the city.

haha. That was the same math I used. But I think I'm actually around 15mpg. So I came up with $3,040.00
Still less than I was expecting. That’s like a quality ski trip. Obvi we are not counting wear and tear on the vehicle.

That's impressive Reforest. I live 5 miles away from the beach and that's as far as I'd ever like to be.
i applaud the motivation but also wonder what a minimum round trip session would be.

I have a shortest session “driveway to driveway“ time of around 1.5hrs. Anything less than that and I should do something else.

when I was walking I often paddled out for one decent wave and then walked back home in under 30min.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
My spot is 15 min door to door and the shortest I've done is around 40 min. Not worth it when I go in cause it was horrible but I've had a lot of sessions where that's all the time I had and I got plenty of waves to make it worthwhile that put a smile on my face on the way to work.

Reactions: ReForest