Boards for Mexico Southern Points

Dec 1, 2021
Feel like this has been covered here but can't find the thread. Heading down to mainland Mex southern points and forecast looks fairly solid. Head high to well overhead over the course of the week. Trying to decide what boards to bring...

Thinking my 5'11 sharpeye inferno ft for shortboard, and 6'1 sabotage for semi-stap. Is that enough?

I'm goofy foot so will be on the backhand. Wondering if I pull the trigger on something with a little more paddle power in case current is heavy...been looking at the panda shiitake hp in 6'2 or something like that but don't currently own anything bigger than the sabotaj

Reactions: JDJ

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
If it's just head high-ish or a bit bigger anything works. It's basically perfect. Fish, daily driver, alt whatever, it's all good.

A lot depends on swell direction, where exactly you are, etc. Last time I surfed it overhead with a big swell running, there was a lot of water moving around and I was constantly paddling and rode my stock 6'0 Ghost exclusively. I wouldn't have minded a 6'2 or a 6'4 that was a bit wider. The swell wasn't quite from the right direction so it was a lot of work and not perfect.

IMG_5774.JPG