Board and Volume Recommendations

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
A little advice from the erBB design gurus please.

Last year I made a significant jump in volume on my shortboard.

I'm 50, 5'10, 200 lbs. I was riding a 6'0, 20.5, 2.65 swallowtail. 34 litres volume. Loved that board but unless I was surfing alot and really in good paddle shape, I struggled to catch waves. 4/3 and boots in winter made it worse.

I am currently riding a lost puddlefish that is 6'0, 22, 2.75. 41.75 litres of volume fat swallowish tail. I love the ease of paddling but I lost most maneuverability and if its overhead and hollow I cant figure it out. I have had some good pig dog left barrels on it in the chest to head high range but mostly its a struggle.

I rode my step up over Thanksgiving in well overhead surf and its 6'3, 19.5, 2.5, 33 litres and what a struggle that was. Board works ok in Mex with just trunks but I'm sinking it in a 4/3.

I'm looking for a versatile shortboard that i can have fun in waist to chest high summer waves and still do ok when its overhead.

Any recommendations?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Fast answer: Get a 6'2" x 19" x 2 1/2" with a wide squashtail. Go with the type of boards that have always worked.

Long answer: Fuck the gimmick board du jour stock models and stay away from high volume boards, especially if you're surfing hollow beachbreaks and not the mushiest of Sunset Cliff days. Talk to a shaper, bring the 6'3" in, tell him what is working for you and what isn't, and the kind of waves you plan on surfing. I have no idea of literage but from your post, it sounds like 35 or 36 liters is what you want.

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'm 42, 5' 11", 190lbs, and I've found that 35-36L is about as low as I'll ever go on a 'performancey' shape.

Get into the 40L range and your duck diving starts to suffer, but the boards can be very fun.

Break into the 50 liter range and I feel like a real Surfer. lol Will only take them out under head high though, unless there is some hope of dodging the sets.... rapid fire beach break, forgetaboutit! Exercise in frustration, and just not fun for me.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I think you're a good candidate for a custom where you can bring your boards to your shaper.

I know everyone is different but I just can't see how the puddlefish works in the waves you surf unless it's micro. You need something that will suck you into the wave, handle a steep wall, and turn tight in the topic.

As I type this... bam: Stu Kenson. He knows your wave and can shape anything.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Yep, don't go crazy on volume. 35-36l sounds right to me.

Are you a good paddler, and good at positioning before paddling? Check your paddling technique, or have a good surfer look at you paddling. Ride a longboard at times, and let the waves come to you instead of trying to chase down everything; it improves your paddling technique.

I'm 57yo, 6'1 x 180. DDs and shorter step ups are 33-34L. Mostly in a 4/3mm.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Agree with others that a custom from an excellent local shaper would be best option to get what you want. If you're in SD/OC, I'd go erBB fave Stamps or Bob Mitsven. Never had a Kenson but he has a great reputation. You can start by copying your post into an email to them.
If you prefer a stock board, I'd agree keep vol. around 35-38L for your size. Your Puddlefish should be for grovel waves but sounds a little big for even that. Most forgiving board I own might be a Rusty Smoothie (good paddler, versatile wave range), and it might be a good option for what you are looking for, even at stock dims. Otherwise, maybe consider something like a Pyzel phantom XL dims.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka
Oct 26, 2016
Take a look at some Parmys, they are versatile thicker boards great for bigger, older guys.

Oct 26, 2016
Aren’t there a few up in SLO - Moon Doggies Surf Club? I think you can get the MPegg shape under Watermans Guild label - in the OC.

They’re much to thick for my liking, but great for bigger/thicker dudes

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
he’s not taking any new customers and it’s gonna be a while before he starts shaping again if at all. I have one fora sale for only $25,000 or trade for a newer lower mileage Lexus.
rode the parmy widowmaker today on a wheeling lefthander.

id need the newer low milage lexi and a blowy from your gf to even consider a trade

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
where? try to keep up. k

and op lose the fucking weight. 5-10 2bills is fat if you aint yaked and if you yaked you aint whining about hard it is

so you fat brah
My size 34 pants are loose on me right now. This is good for December.

Oct 26, 2016
my magic ones is 2-1/4 bladed out
Stoke you got some that fits your needs. The customs and used ones that I had were way too thick at the front end. I had customs and used ones made for 165lb that imho be better for 200 lb guys. After trying a used one, went custom. Unfortunately , sold the custom after one session due to thickness and the guy who bought it was 25-30lbs heavier.

Last edited:

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
A little advice from the erBB design gurus please.

Last year I made a significant jump in volume on my shortboard.

I'm 50, 5'10, 200 lbs. I was riding a 6'0, 20.5, 2.65 swallowtail. 34 litres volume. Loved that board but unless I was surfing alot and really in good paddle shape, I struggled to catch waves. 4/3 and boots in winter made it worse.

I am currently riding a lost puddlefish that is 6'0, 22, 2.75. 41.75 litres of volume fat swallowish tail. I love the ease of paddling but I lost most maneuverability and if its overhead and hollow I cant figure it out. I have had some good pig dog left barrels on it in the chest to head high range but mostly its a struggle.

I rode my step up over Thanksgiving in well overhead surf and its 6'3, 19.5, 2.5, 33 litres and what a struggle that was. Board works ok in Mex with just trunks but I'm sinking it in a 4/3.

I'm looking for a versatile shortboard that i can have fun in waist to chest high summer waves and still do ok when its overhead.

Any recommendations?
For what it's worth, I think you should be fine with boards around 35 L or so. I'm about your age and weight (just taller) and that's my zone now. Maybe look for more user friendly "hybrid" type of designs. Some that I've tried and liked are HS Untitled, JS Monstabox, FW Spitfire, but there are tons out there. Spitfire was more in the user friendly range, while Untitled more in performance.

Reactions: oeste858