BMT twins?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
BMT is my go-to twin set these days for high-performance twin fins. Think CI Twin Pin, Plasmic, Twinsman. Boards like those where you want some surface area but not a hybrid keel. I find a lot of the other twins out there are just too small, too loose, and lack drive.

The BMT by far are the drivey(est) fins that I've used in that category but they're still plenty loose. I also like the large Alkali twins but they are hard to find. I have a pair of the 5.55 Asher Pacey twins coming that I'm looking forward to trying.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Been running the BMT in my Twin Pin. They work well. Haven't had the desire to try anything else.

Only hitch is getting them in and out. They overhang the futures boxes so limit the angle when popping the fins out and mine fit so tight that I've ended up slamming them into the area just after the boxes and putting little shatters in the crappy CI glass job.

But otherwise they work well.

Reactions: bluengreen

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Is that the 419 fish, Clam?

Decal says Traditional Twin, but there are only a couple of references anywhere on the net and one of them is called Classic Fish. This is the is the outline and tail of the latter with the stock dims of the former….Nothing at all on any Rusty site which is weird.

Attachments

Reactions: Maz

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
That comparison is very helpful. BMTs look good, especially for those that like bigger twin fins but don't want to use the EN. It seems like most Futures twins are a variation of the T1. Oh, or the cant is too extreme, like the AMT.

What is the cant like on the BMT?
Cant looks a little more than the T1’s but I realised yesterday the T1’s had a bow in them….so it’s hard to compare.

Reactions: JDJ
Dec 19, 2022
BMT is my go-to twin set these days for high-performance twin fins. Think CI Twin Pin, Plasmic, Twinsman. Boards like those where you want some surface area but not a hybrid keel. I find a lot of the other twins out there are just too small, too loose, and lack drive.

The BMT by far are the drivey(est) fins that I've used in that category but they're still plenty loose. I also like the large Alkali twins but they are hard to find. I have a pair of the 5.55 Asher Pacey twins coming that I'm looking forward to trying.
Hi, I'm currently running FCS Power Twins in my Album Twinsman but looking to try out these BMT fins. Has anyone tried the BMT in a Twinsman and curious how they perform? Cheers

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hi, I'm currently running FCS Power Twins in my Album Twinsman but looking to try out these BMT fins. Has anyone tried the BMT in a Twinsman and curious how they perform? Cheers
I have. Not good. Twinsman doesn't seem to like a lot of fin. At least that was the case for me in a 5'8 and 5'6 I had. I think I settled on the Album upright twin as my favorite in the last twinsman that I had (5'6).

Reactions: sdsrfr
Dec 19, 2022
Ok thanks! Mine is a 6'1 twinsman and I'm around 88kg, so perhaps may still work for bigger board set up. Otherwise the power twins seem good and have some MRs I can try. Cheers for sharing your experiences ✌

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I personally liked bigger fins in my 5'6 Twinsman. I'm 6' 170ish. I tried: MR's, Christenson uprights, Power Twins, AM's and finally settled on MF's. The Power Twins were a close second. I moved my Twinsman on since it didn't really shine until the waves were on the better side of average which isn't too often by my place.

I love the BMT's in my 5'6 Stamps Kai-Zen, which is a performance twin. The BMT's get it up and going more quickly than the Power Twins and MF's, but I can still get in in/out of the lip really quickly. It's become my go-to board and I LOVED my 5'8 Flare. FWIW, all three boards are/were Varial.

Dec 19, 2022
Agree on my limited surfs I've found the Twinsman does appear to like a better wave otherwise it can bog. Will try the BMT next time we get something decent

Reactions: ChaseTMP

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
@kool-aid did you run these in your moonstone? did you have a swallow or RP… or both?

still warm on these for the plasmic?
I have not tried them in my moonstone yet. I'm pretty happy with what I'm running in that board which is a pair of the large needs essential twin fins.

I only had the winged swallow tail twinsmans. Still warm on the BMTs in the plasmic.