Blacks

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've surfed it 1000+ times. It is a surf spot that rewards effort. It's a big playing field, so analyzing what is starting to happen where, and getting on it when it is just starting to happen will yield results. Then paddle away and let the pack vie for what they just saw you doing. You've got to move around, preferably away from guys who are tougher to get waves from.
Yeah, the effort thing.

It can be a reeally frustrating place. There are enough good guys, guys on bigger boards, and guys who shouldn't be on bigger boards but are on bigger boards to make some sessions pretty waveless. And it's a huge playing field, with big rips. And you will get caught inside. So unless you practice acceptance in that regard, that some days you are just not going to get a decent wave, you'll end up pretty dejected at times.

And again, the effort thing - you're wasting your time if you don't put in the effort.

I don't think the herd mentality is stronger anywhere else either, it's fascinating to watch.

Reactions: npsp and JDJ

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
i would sit at south peak for hours patiently waiting - should have surfed down the beach and catch way more waves - but every
now and then i would get a south peak bomb/tube that would rival any tubes i had in indo - real wave - world class when it was on

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I've surfed it 1000+ times. It is a surf spot that rewards effort. It's a big playing field, so analyzing what is starting to happen where, and getting on it when it is just starting to happen will yield results. Then paddle away and let the pack vie for what they just saw you doing. You've got to move around, preferably away from guys who are tougher to get waves from.
That is the game plan. Move around a lot and try to separate from the packs. The rips are your friend when you need space. Some of my best friends are the worst to surf with down there, they catch way too many waves. Half of them are the cripples that Casa referred to.
Put in your time and you will score. Like Truth, I've gotten waves down there that rival anywhere else I've been.

Reactions: keenfish and Truth

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
That is the game plan. Move around a lot and try to separate from the packs. The rips are your friend when you need space. Some of my best friends are the worst to surf with down there, they catch way too many waves. Half of them are the cripples that Casa referred to.
Put in your time and you will score. Like Truth, I've gotten waves down there that rival anywhere else I've been.
Dogman being the most infamous of the cripples!

• Love
Reactions: npsp and Truth

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
will be back in la jolla in a few weeks

not sure if my key still works and i have not worn a wetsuit in years

maybe just drink IPAs and eat mexican food
there's also a full bathroom at the bottom now. no more running into the canyon or over into Muir to take a pre-surf growler.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
You walk the road... don't try and tailgate. They check passes often and will take access from those who let others w/o passes in.

Yeah, I know you park up top and walk, I meant to get through the gate.
Tailgate, as in, stand at the gate until someone with a key walks through and slide through with them.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Yeah, I know you park up top and walk, I meant to get through the gate.
Tailgate, as in, stand at the gate until someone with a key walks through and slide through with them.
There's a pass through in the gate for people to walk in.

The road says 2 hours max parking and I've heard they enforce it (or were at one point). Actually, there was a thread on the Erbb about it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There's a pass through in the gate for people to walk in.

The road says 2 hours max parking and I've heard they enforce it (or were at one point). Actually, there was a thread on the Erbb about it.

Oh. I always assumed you needed a key.
Good to know.
Shows how much time I spent there.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
  • Love
Reactions: Chocki

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego