Bipartisan opposition to Afghanistan troop withdrawal

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The left and the right appear more divided than ever on social issues but when it comes to bailing out banks and large corporations or ending one of our many pointless and costly wars, they always seem to find a way to put aside their differences, reach across the aisle and do the wrong thing.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
When both sides quickly agree on something is when we should be the most concerned.

That said, there's no easy answer for Afghanistan. I'd be all for packing up, although it will likely become ISIS 2.0 in short order.
It's ISIS 2.0 now. Our military can't even secure the road from Bagram airport to the green zone according to people I know who've been there. Instead, military members are flown from the airport to the base by helicopter.

There are too many pigs feeding at the trough to shut the whole thing down. The Republicans are the stupid part; the Democrats are the evil party. When the two cooperate they do something stupid and evil. This is bipartisanship.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
When both sides quickly agree on something is when we should be the most concerned.

That said, there's no easy answer for Afghanistan. I'd be all for packing up, although it will likely become ISIS 2.0 in short order.
Agree with the first part.

There's always going to be excuses not to leave Afghanistan. Whether it's ISIS or Russia or whatever but at a certain point, after 19 years and over 2 trillion dollars, I think our fantasy of spreading freedom and democracy to this country hasn't worked out by now, it never will.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It's ISIS 2.0 now. Our military can't even secure the road from Bagram airport to the green zone according to people I know who've been there. Instead, military members are flown from the airport to the base by helicopter.

There are too many pigs feeding at the trough to shut the whole thing down. The Republicans are the stupid part; the Democrats are the evil party. When the two cooperate they do something stupid and evil. This is bipartisanship.
Wrong, the Repubs are stupid and evil, take a look at Moscow Mitch, Miss Lindsey and the dude who covered for child molesters.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
yet I still can't get opium....

why can't I get opium if my government controls the supply chain?

fk this
Up to this point he had been an ardent supporter of the war in Afghanistan but after 20 years the abundant supply of heroin afoaf had been promised had failed to materialize.

"at some point enough is enough, you know? i supported our troops. i even put a yellow ribbon bumper sticker on my minivan and paid my taxes sometimes. i basically did everything a guy could do but still, nothing. i know it's controversial to say but i'm starting to think the CIA doesn't care about us every day folk."

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Well, yeah. It will simply become official.

Yup, like the $4-6T that happened to fall from the sky for COVID relief, which mostly went to corporations.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Agree with the first part.

There's always going to be excuses not to leave Afghanistan. Whether it's ISIS or Russia or whatever but at a certain point, after 19 years and over 2 trillion dollars, I think our fantasy of spreading freedom and democracy to this country hasn't worked out by now, it never will.
Agreed. That was not me saying that we shouldn't pull out, just the reality of what will happen when we leave. We've paid enough of a human and financial cost already.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There are some really old-school tenets of their society that don't lend themselves to just showing up and handing out copies of the Constitution and Federalist Papers in Pashto.

Al-Qaida asked for their hospitality and got it.

Melmastia (hospitality) – Showing hospitality and profound respect to all visitors, regardless of race, religion, national affiliation or economic status and doing so without any hope of remuneration or favor. Pashtuns will go to great lengths to show their hospitality.[2][14][15]

Nanawatai (forgiveness or asylum) – Derived from the verb meaning to go in, this refers to the protection given to a person against his enemies. People are protected at all costs; even those running from the law must be given refuge until the situation can be clarified.[2] Nanawatai can also be used when the vanquished party in a dispute is prepared to go into the house of the victors and ask for their forgiveness: this is a peculiar form of "chivalrous" surrender, in which an enemy seeks "sanctuary" at the house of their foe. A notable example is that of Navy Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of a US Navy SEAL team ambushed by Taliban fighters. Wounded, he evaded the enemy and was aided by members of the Sabray tribe who took him to their village. The tribal chief protected him, fending off attacking tribes until word was sent to nearby US forces.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Up to this point he had been an ardent supporter of the war in Afghanistan but after 20 years the abundant supply of heroin afoaf had been promised had failed to materialize.

"at some point enough is enough, you know? i supported our troops. i even put a yellow ribbon bumper sticker on my minivan and paid my taxes sometimes. i basically did everything a guy could do but still, nothing. i know it's controversial to say but i'm starting to think the CIA doesn't care about us every day folk."
MY MINIVAN?!!?

you son of a bitch

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I started a garden in my backyard.

I used to think it was for [insert taboo language].

I love it now.

Because I am a [insert taboo language].

My gardening success has given me the confidence to try to grow poppies again.

I'm not going to wait around for the government to get its act together.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There are some really old-school tenets of their society that don't lend themselves to just showing up and handing out copies of the Constitution and Federalist Papers in Pashto.

Al-Qaida asked for their hospitality and got it.

Melmastia (hospitality) – Showing hospitality and profound respect to all visitors, regardless of race, religion, national affiliation or economic status and doing so without any hope of remuneration or favor. Pashtuns will go to great lengths to show their hospitality.[2][14][15]

Nanawatai (forgiveness or asylum) – Derived from the verb meaning to go in, this refers to the protection given to a person against his enemies. People are protected at all costs; even those running from the law must be given refuge until the situation can be clarified.[2] Nanawatai can also be used when the vanquished party in a dispute is prepared to go into the house of the victors and ask for their forgiveness: this is a peculiar form of "chivalrous" surrender, in which an enemy seeks "sanctuary" at the house of their foe. A notable example is that of Navy Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of a US Navy SEAL team ambushed by Taliban fighters. Wounded, he evaded the enemy and was aided by members of the Sabray tribe who took him to their village. The tribal chief protected him, fending off attacking tribes until word was sent to nearby US forces.
I, for the most part, hate the muslins and their silly religion.

But the cool ones are some of the best people I've met.

Right up there with the cool blacks.

White people?

Yuck!

As my ex wife from Sweden used to say to me "You're gross."