Bill Maher on Covid

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Lol, yeah because telling people to improve their diet and exercise more during a pandemic would be way more effective than an overly complex message like wear a f*cking mask. Maybe the media message in the US was so dire because we were the worst among first world countries with infection rates and deaths for quite some time. BTW, Maddow was screaming about nursing home deaths very early on.
MOAR COVID:roflmao:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
we were the worst among first world countries with infection rates and deaths for quite some time
The US is not physically healthy. Other than Islanders and Kuwaitis the US is number 1 on the fatty list.

Mental health is not good either. Number one consumer of antidepressants.

So, totally not surprising that the US faired poorly when fighting the worst flu in many years. Expect similar performance facing other adversities coming down the pike.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Maher was wrong, we clearly cannot handle the truth, remember the toilet paper hysteria?

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
The US is not physically healthy. Other than Islanders and Kuwaitis the US is number 1 on the fatty list.

Mental health is not good either. Number one consumer of antidepressants.

So, totally not surprising that the US faired poorly when fighting the worst flu in many years. Expect similar performance facing other adversities coming down the pike.
Right, so would a realistic and more successful strategy be to fight obesity or put on a mask? Guessing the majority of people locked out of gyms and hiking trails weren’t in that risk category to begin with.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Right, so would a realistic and more successful strategy be to fight obesity or put on a mask?
In my tiny little kingdom of 5 people, we implemented a strategy that included both but emphasized diet and outdoor exercise as the most important.

On a national scale, I've always favored the Swedish approach.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Lol, yeah because telling people to improve their diet and exercise more during a pandemic would be way more effective than an overly complex message like wear a f*cking mask. Maybe the media message in the US was so dire because we were the worst among first world countries with infection rates and deaths for quite some time. BTW, Maddow was screaming about nursing home deaths very early on.
Who's to say we could not have done both? Most Americans have gained weight during the pandemic.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
When Michelle Obama tried to address diet in America, the right went nuts.

FREEDUMB!

Addressing obesity doesn't put out the wild fire that is currently raging.

The food industry is powerful and they don't want you eating all healthy.
Yes, processed food is a corporate goldmine. I think Knorr owns a salt mine.

It's funny how we get so wrapped around the axle in our confrontations with the other side that we disagree with them, try to shut down their initiatives, without realizing we actually agree with them. It's like looking in the mirror and seeing the devil, maybe a good looking devil, but a devil.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
People were told to not exercise and are still being prevented from doing so in certain locales

Instead of identifying who was actually at risk, hiding them, and/or attacking the risk factors, we were all forced to suffer "all in this togetherrrrr"

That would be much more effective to keep the world going during a virus with a 99%+ survival rate
My town went so far as to close a very popular walking path across a 2 mile long bridge to prevent people from using it for walking and jogging. As a F-you walkers, joggers and bicyclists simply used the more dangerous shoulder of the road rather than the path that was on the other side of the guardrail. They should have been encouraging people to get outdoors.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My town went so far as to close a very popular walking path across a 2 mile long bridge to prevent people from using it for walking and jogging. As a F-you walkers, joggers and bicyclists simply used the more dangerous shoulder of the road rather than the path that was on the other side of the guardrail. They should have been encouraging people to get outdoors.

Edwin Moses Would Go

• Haha
Reactions: GromsDad

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

There's not enough Prozac in the world that would make me jog over that bridge.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Fog/low clouds make everything more gloomy/depressing.

I had a turkey on the run jogging down a local trail the other day. It was about 100 yards until there was a wide spot that it could scamper away and, judging by its gobbles almost drowning out the nearby goose orgy, it was pretty upset.

Good times. :roflmao:

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Its actually pretty scenic. My only issue up there is the noise of the cars flying by. The views are pretty good. I've gotten some pretty good pictures from that walkway. There were the only two handy at the moment. Both were taken while standing on the walkway.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I don't know that anyone's noticed, but the whole process of adjusting to the pandemic normal has been fraught with fits and starts. It's as if it was the first pandemic we ever went through or something. Someone must've thrown out the playbook.

• Love
Reactions: Phi1