Bethany Hamilton -- done!

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
If you’re suggesting Bruce and Andy were “surfing” in 1998 I’d still point you to JJF and Gabby and show you progression. AI will always be ahead of his time though, so in that regard you’ll get no pushback from me.
Well.. bruce and andy were doing this surfing in '98, did they represent the average level of surfing then - obviously not..but to that point neither do gabby or jjf represent the average level of surfing now. That said Gabby and JJF are absolutely examples of progression, no doubt....I was just struck by how well the bruce's surfing from mangap holds up.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What's going on in with big-wave paddle surfing is just nutty. It went from dropping in straight at Waimea (more than I am looking for; don't get me wrong) to the absolute madness of Mullaghmore, Jaws, Shipsterns, The Right, along with the etc. etc. that the slab hunters are going for. Beyond comprehension.

I get very, very bored watching air videos. I guess there's progression but more akin to like how it was in rollerblading.

Oh yeah, what 15 year old is doing THIS?! Then again, this is also one of my favorite surfing photos of all time - pulling into something like that from where he is at is hahahahaha what?

1700028198255.png

This is starting to feel like a Lowers vs. Honolua redux thread... :rolleyes:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
What's going on in with big-wave paddle surfing is just nutty. It went from dropping in straight at Waimea (more than I am looking for; don't get me wrong) to the absolute madness of Mullaghmore, Jaws, Shipsterns, The Right, along with the etc. etc. that the slab hunters are going for. Beyond comprehension.

I get very, very bored watching air videos. I guess there's progression but more akin to like how it was in rollerblading.

Oh yeah, what 15 year old is doing THIS?! Then again, this is also one of my favorite surfing photos of all time - pulling into something like that from where he is at is hahahahaha what?

View attachment 166720

This is starting to feel like a Lowers vs. Honolua redux thread... :rolleyes:
boom shakah!

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
So we've moved the goalposts. Well since there are no 15 year olds surfing Shipstern's I guess you're right. :ROFLMAO:
youre the one setting the goalposts...put them wherever you like. I am talking about Bruce's surfing in Magnaplasm...you are talking about 12 year olds in wave pools surfing better than someone in 1998...

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
youre the one setting the goalposts...put them wherever you like. I am talking about Bruce's surfing in Magnaplasm...you are talking about 12 year olds in wave pools surfing better than someone in 1998...
I think if you're not following the younger generations you might be unaware of how good the current up and coming generation is.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I think if you're not following the younger generations you might be unaware of how good the current up and coming generation is.

The fact that you think Nolan Rapoza is the 'younger generation' is funny, the guy is 25.. he is as arrived as a generation is going to get. I have no idea what your point is, other than you lack reading comprehension...also just to bring it around Nolan Rapoza is trans fyi.

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I'm curious what happened to Bruce. I hope he's still getting out there. Always loved his surfing and felt he didn't get the credit he deserved since AI was always in the limelight. I am just a few years younger so seeing him in the mags was a big influence and yeah the Volcom Stone co was pretty genius. I would love to see a docu on the formation and final sale of the Veeco and hear the backstory on some of what Racer mentioned.

When I see AI and BI surf clips, I see style, flow, and power. Not as much fliperry doo dah tricks which is all the rage now. Those straight airs BI used to do were legit and looked better to me than all these spins they do now.

JJF blends the dare I say, old school AI power and flow with above the lip tricks.

The above clips are progression for sure. But if you really watch them, it almost looks forced. Like a lot of wiggling before anything impressive goes down. Not the case with AI and BI. They flowed through the sections, had their hands in the right places, and let the waves dictate the line. Just my opinion and feeling old for saying this.

Edit: I re-watched that Eli clip and I take it back. Kid rips. Good combo of power and airs. Like what I see!

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I'm curious what happened to Bruce. I hope he's still getting out there. Always loved his surfing and felt he didn't get the credit he deserved since AI was always in the limelight. I am just a few years younger so seeing him in the mags was a big influence and yeah the Volcom Stone co was pretty genius. I would love to see a docu on the formation and final sale of the Veeco and hear the backstory on some of what Racer mentioned.

When I see AI and BI surf clips, I see style, flow, and power. Not as much fliperry doo dah tricks which is all the rage now. Those straight airs BI used to do were legit and looked better to me than all these spins they do now.

JJF blends the dare I say, old school AI power and flow with above the lip tricks.

The above clips are progression for sure. But if you really watch them, it almost looks forced. Like a lot of wiggling before anything impressive goes down. Not the case with AI and BI. They flowed through the sections, had their hands in the right places, and let the waves dictate the line. Just my opinion and feeling old for saying this.

Edit: I re-watched that Eli clip and I take it back. Kid rips. Good combo of power and airs. Like what I see!
Last I heard he got lost on the way to the airport.