Bethany Hamilton -- done!

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Isn’t this more of an issue with competitors that have an unfair advantage?
Transgender women on hormone therapy have physical characteristics closer to women than men, or perhaps somewhere between. That being the case, they are at a disadvantage when competing with men, in terms of strength or whatever.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I guess this seems like a huge battle in the culture wars, and it’s the principle, blah, blah, blah. I honestly don’t know what I think about this issue for the fairness /integrity of sport. Leaving aside the cynical possibility of a disingenuous male abusing the rules to win a trophy off women… I guess I’d look at it like this if I was forced to form an opinion: Maybe if Beth’s child grows up and declares that they’re (don’t know if she has a boy or girl) trans, she may have a different opinion. But perhaps not. I don’t recall the Bible’s stance on this issue.

If we’re being realistic, this “huge” decision might potentially affect (threaten) what, maybe 100-200 (at the most) women around the world who might be able to make a living as a competitive professional surfer? And that’s if/when this scenario ever happens and someone has a physical/ physiological advantage over the competition.

From the WSL’s perspective, they- like all other women’s sports- have to amend guidelines for this scenario. It makes sense to follow the lead of a global body who’s already had to tread this path such as the Olympics/ IOC, rather that take a vote of current surfers or whatever people are suggesting.
Now, if we’re being cynical, you could imagine a first trans surfer potentially competing in the women’s event would attract a lot more interest & attention than any women’s heat currently does or- let’s be honest- ever.

Regardless, I have zero doubt that Beth will inevitably run to represent Hawaii in Congress and be a darling of the right. Her story is just too good.
IMO, this is an easy situation.

We simply cannot be inclusive in a sport where you disadvantage the other competitors. Yes, on a human level it sucks for someone who has transitioned to another gender ( or sex, I don't have the right words).

You have my human-to-human level of sympathy - but that's just the cards you have been dealt in life and just your cross to bear.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Erik Logan turns out to be a master of transition.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sorry I’m late to the party and haven’t read the entire thread, is there actually a trans surfer that’s joining the tour or is this more of the usual Jesus fueled anti-trans hysteria about what might happen even though it’s not actually happening?
Totally Jesus fueled.

Reactions: wedge2

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It would be some sort of amazing if casa threatening to sue the erbb is what causes this place to vanish...would win the all time troll award.
You haven't told us where you stand on the topic, Mr. Passive Aggressive.

"The trans person is going to ruin it for the whole board!"

No one is suing anyone.

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I guess the point being is that Beth is a sports star, willing to take flack and stand up against trans women punching down in games with EZ mode enabled.

It just so happens to be within the context of the sport she has a stake in, but speaking to the problem as a whole, not really to the 0.0009% of the surfing population that wants to tuck their dongs into their thongs.

Reactions: npsp

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I admire what she’s overcome, but she hasn’t won a contest since 2014. Perhaps she should worry about beating the girls before she worries about Casa unfairly stealing the prize money out of her cold dead hand?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
True story. I was contest director for the first professional women's surfing event. I pulled the permits and ran the event at Lower Trestles in 1982. Margo Oberge was the winner.

True story. I was a judge at the US champs in 1980. We had only one heat of tandem surfing to determine the US Champ. The gender rules were pretty vague at the time, so to fill the heat, it was decided the same sex was okay. To take advantage of the opening, Pat Oneill and Rick Grassley entered. Pat Dressed in a Bikini to give the heat some credibility. Only one team, the winning team, could complete a lift. A jacked-up backdoor pussy grab that had the lady struggling like a flying epileptic. I still remember the look on her face.
B8046210-E8EA-4172-9FE4-59A84ECFD5D9.jpeg

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Is it a micro penis or a monster clit?

Only VM knows!
You're terrible at straw men.

Kleinfelder Syndrome is a very small part of the population. Even then only about 25% of boys are ever diagnosed because the symptoms aren't severe. A significant percentage of them are on the spectrum.....so you're left with a very very small percentage of men/boys that would fall into a bucket of availability for your fantasy. The percentage of affected boys who consider themselves transexual is so small its immeasurable....but lets say a couple slip through.....what's the chance they live near the ocean, surf, and are good enough at it to compete? I would say those odds are pretty long.

I don't know what genetic issue you are dealing with or suspicion you have due to your own personal endowment....but I'm certain it does not warrant consideration when deciding if it's fair for men to compete with women based on a subjective feeling that is rooted in a mental deficiency that many have decided to entertain rather than intervene.

Last edited: