Best surfboard design software? AKU Shaper? Shape3D?

Homie

Miki Dora status
Sep 2, 2005
What's the best surfboard design software currently? Have any of the major labels "LOST, CI, etc." made their own software or is everyone still using AKU Shaper or Shape3D?

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Try both n see which you prefer. Aku easier, simpler - better choice to get your feet wet

Edit: there’s no “best” IMO, only different.

I typically use both.

Start measuring/“blue printing” your boards - the ones you like as well dislike.

first file should be replicating a physical board you like in Aku IMO.

Open one of their generic shortboard files,
Change length and width
Get thickness n foil right from tip to tip.
set deck n bottom rockers

Delete all slices except center slice
Manipulate that slice until it’s exactly where you want it.

Then, and only then, create new slices out from that one,
15-18 from tail block (between the feet/speed box - or whatever one one’s to call it),
then another 2-3 inches from tail block

then one 12 inch from nose n one 2-3 inch from nose tip.

then, go to new slices and adjust bottom contours. Don’t Fck with the deck line or top of the rails unless it’s extremely subtle.

-this sequence of operations ensures the deck and rail foil along the the length of the board is money. Not doing so - very easy to fxk up and end up w an s-deck, odd humps etc that you’ll end up trying to chase and get rid of.

after every major operation or change, save file as a new version- v1, v2 etc. This way you can go backwards if you do t like something

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah they told me it should work - for whatever reason it doesn't and gives me a message I need OSX 10.12.6

They sent me an older version and now I'm up and running.

Created my first template and rocker profile yesterday, pretty cool.

When I printed the outline template the youtube vid said the little gaps in the margins are ok - once I laid it out on the blank, obviously not OK! 3 or 4 inches too long. Had to cut the template and then blend the curves.

Are you handshaping or doing CNC cuts?

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Yeah they told me it should work - for whatever reason it doesn't and gives me a message I need OSX 10.12.6

They sent me an older version and now I'm up and running.

Created my first template and rocker profile yesterday, pretty cool.

When I printed the outline template the youtube vid said the little gaps in the margins are ok - once I laid it out on the blank, obviously not OK! 3 or 4 inches too long. Had to cut the template and then blend the curves.

Are you handshaping or doing CNC cuts?
Awesome

I started out by hand shaping - it is really the best way to learn. N all those skills n knowledge translates to scrubbing cuts. My back is not great so I can’t take being hunched over a planer/all cuts for a number of years now.

blending curves w templates is great, I always enjoyed doing that. It’s important to pay more attention to good n smooth curves rather than fixating on hitting a set numbers. Being a slave to exact numbers will result in weird curves in any design element.