Best Sunglasses?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
worked in the optical industry for a while. unfortunately i know way too much about shades.

you want clarity and scratch resistance? go glass.
look at the water a shitton? go polarized.
bright sun? grey base lens
fog and overcast? brown base lens
want colors to pop? maui and costa have color enhancers
want to overheat your frames in the hot as car? go nylon or grilamid, not acetate
big head? go costa fisch

want the best lenses for driving? go serengeti photo-polar drivers

fishing? go costa green mirror 580g

all around beach travel lifestyle? go maui super thin glass.

honorable mention for ray ban and persol. (the RB2132 is one of the best frames ever) same lenses material in both but go crystal. no poly.

Electric does a couple frames in polarized mineral glass. Rectangular shape- knoxville (xl). wrap- tech one

otis flashed for a minute but they were heavy china made and not all that wearable

oakley sports/cycling frames will stay the fuck on your face but the lens scratch easily and clarity is average at best for plastic. shoutout for their ballistic/shooting/safety glasses though

all the rest of the lifestyle brands spy vz kaenon smith dragon blenders etc are all overpriced sh!t that youd be better off avoiding and shopping the quickie mart dollar rack instead.

doc has spoken

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
oakleys any good?
I’ve always worn them, the lenses seem to be of very good quality but scratch easier than desired. Have got the prizm polarized kine. Going on 4 years of the same frame and 2 of the 2nd pair of lenses that needed to be replaced due to my own fault. YMMV, would suggest to get a decent case so they last a bit longer

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa buys Prada and Gucci????
Never bought any Prada glasses. Very expensive and feel just like Oakley (light yet cheap frame).

Gucci, sure. Had 3 pairs back when they weren't tacky and had a good quality heavy frame and lens. Lost all of them.

This was always 20 years ago I imagine the new stuff is crap.

Is that weird?

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
all the rest of the lifestyle brands spy vz kaenon smith dragon blenders etc are all overpriced sh!t that youd be better off avoiding and shopping the quickie mart dollar rack instead.
Dragon is awful.

I really trash my glasses though (crush them, drop them lens down on pavement, never use a case) and my $100 Spys have been indestructible. 4 or 5 years wearing these, not a scratch on the lens:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
These work good and last long time hard to scratch lens as well and look decent for fat heads like me...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Never bought any Prada glasses. Very expensive and feel just like Oakley (light yet cheap frame).

Gucci, sure. Had 3 pairs back when they weren't tacky and had a good quality heavy frame and lens. Lost all of them.

This was always 20 years ago I imagine the new stuff is crap.

Is that weird?
Nah. Made in Italy is usually good quality. If you buy Raybans or Oakleys buy the made is Italy ones or at least marked CE (European Community). Luxotiica owns a lot of brands.

Reactions: afoaf

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Costa Rincons for me. 580G lenses. You'll pay a premium for them but they're totally worth the price. Glass lenses are so worth it.

I don't understand how people wear cheap sunglasses. They're terrible.

I've tried. They mess me up. Headaches, vision gets blurry. I'd prefer to squint than wear bargain glasses.

Ray Ban's have been easy to find and steady in quality & price.
I've had all the "surfy" brands and one point or another. Dragon was always awful. Spy, Smith, Kaenon, Oakley all had some that were fine, others that were garbage. Otis were good but I lost them quickly and, even with a discount, they were expensive and they don't have much variety for my head, and they were heavy. Too much $ for frames that looked funny. But they were great for other people.

I never pulled the trigger on "designer" shades.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've tried. They mess me up. Headaches, vision gets blurry. I'd prefer to squint than wear bargain glasses.

Ray Ban's have been easy to find and steady in quality & price.
I've had all the "surfy" brands and one point or another. Dragon was always awful. Spy, Smith, Kaenon, Oakley all had some that were fine, others that were garbage. Otis were good but I lost them quickly and, even with a discount, they were expensive and they don't have much variety for my head, and they were heavy. Too much $ for frames that looked funny. But they were great for other people.

I never pulled the trigger on "designer" shades.
I guess everyone is different. It's crazy how dominant costa's are on the water. Seems like 90 percent of people wear them. I love mine.

Reactions: need 4 speed