Best Sunglasses?

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
If you are older, like me, the Hobie Escondido Readers are awesome...great for field work with a phone or tablet...

Reactions: npsp

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
If you are older, like me, the Hobie Escondido Readers are awesome...great for field work with a phone or tablet...
^ Just went online and bought a pair. Been needing these for fishing for a long time. Thanks for the tip! :shaka:

PS, for some reason they gave me a $20 dollar discount so only $79 bucks.

Reactions: npsp

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Friend who was a HB lifeguard gave us some Hobies that seemed to work well.

Sounds like I need to try the Costas.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Costa 's 580 glass, Maui Jim, or Smith Chroma Pops...spend a little more for the glass lenses - They don't scratch as easy and hold up longer.

dwarden30

OTF status
Jun 29, 2008
The best sunglasses are no sunglasses. Many in alternative health see them as detrimental to eye health and overall health. Kelly Slater doesn’t wear them And neither do I. I’ve got crows feet to prove it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The best sunglasses are no sunglasses. Many in alternative health see them as detrimental to eye health and overall health. Kelly Slater doesn’t wear them And neither do I. I’ve got crows feet to prove it.

I'm sure that genetics come into play, like anything else.

I know that my eyes, having spent less time in the sun over the last 18 months, seems to feel VERY sensitive right now.

I spent years staring into the glare at the beach. Now I spend a day outside in intense sun and they feel burned for days without glasses. My pterygiums flair up much easier now.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
I agree...I only wear them when I absolutely necessary...beach, on the water, but hardly ever driving anymore...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Do you shave your head or did you already lose your locks too :shrug:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yup.

My research shows that NOT using sunscreen and sunglasses leads to baldness and ripping.
Checking in at 40 here, doing pretty well on the hair front; nobody is confusing a rotund goofy foot over 6 foot for Slater. And the decent hair, rotund, goofy foot, and over 6 foot are my most Slater-like qualities in the context of surfing.

Done a shitload of squinting in my time, but generally pretty regular about sunscreen.

"Do you see it?"
"No, where."
"It's right underneath that mangrove branch. See it, facing right down the shoreline."
"Nope. I see a mangrove branch though, about 20 yards down from the deadfall covered in heron sh!t. That one?"
"Yeah....you can't see it, sitting right there."
"No, but you told me what way it's facing and it's not eating this at mid-day anyway, so I'mma letter rip."

*** Cast set up to mimick baitfish fleeing from laid up predator lands in perfect position. Laid up predator explodes out of hiding place and blasts off that shoreline, leaving large cloudy boil and two pairs of blue balls. ***

I don't know much about long-term effects of sunglasses or no (yet I'll find out) but in the short term, a good pair of polarized seems like it really helps spotting fish.