Best shoulder therapy exercises?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
GromsDad said:
Couldn't even estimate how many Advil (2 at a time) I took during the 6-months I was really hurting.
Now you realize that was not the best thing to be doing. But yeah, it does dull the pain...

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Mr J said:
a physio said that usual dumbbell, barbell shoulder gym stuff is good coz it builds up the muscle and ligaments in the shoulders which helps protect. This sounds like what you are doing so is good.

The heavy duty stuff neglects the smaller rotator cuff muscles. The whole point of rotator cuff training is very light with high reps - almost doesn't feel like proper exercising. I like the elastic tubing ones best however I like the way this man explains how to isolate the rotator cuff muscles and avoid the bigger muscles such as delts taking over the exercise. Unlike the heavy stuff, rotator cuff can be exercised every day.

https://youtu.be/mvjQMoL246o
The muscles of the shoulder work in conjunction with and complimentary of each other. Why would you try and isolate the smaller weaker muscles (you can't) and ignore the larger and more powerful muscles? Why would you try (again, you can't) to create an imbalance in this necessary architecture?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
From a recent seminar....

It’s important to recognize that the model of “health” adopted by an individual or a practitioner ultimately guides how they interpret a given symptom, as well as what evaluation or treatment may then be pursued or offered. For example, consider the differences in diagnostic and treatment approach for the same symptom between a surgeon, a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, and a naturopath.

The traditional biomedical approach operates under three assumptions:
1. All symptoms (or illness) have a single underlying cause.
2. Disease (pathology) is always the single cause of symptoms.
3. Removal / attenuation of the pathology will result in a return to health.

Because these do not always hold true, this reductionist approach, while superficially appealing, is deeply flawed (see Wade et al. BMJ 2004)

Despite ongoing debate in the literature, we’ve come to like a more recent proposal by Huber et al. (2011) arguing that health is characterized by “the ability to adapt and self-manage in the face of physical, emotional, and social challenges”.

We like this definition due to the focus on human adaptability, resilience, and promoting self-efficacy (thereby minimizing dependence), while recognizing the role of biological, psychological, and social factors that may influence the experience & potential indications for specific treatment.

In short, we don’t want you to NEED us for every single symptom, every transient ache/pain that arises in life. Our hope is to equip people with the knowledge and tools they need to self-manage as much as possible, and help guide the path as much or as little as needed towards desired goals.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Here’s my 2 cents: anyone with issues should go to a friggin doctor to start and likely end up at a physical therapist.

For reference: I have arthritis in my hips, spine, had 2 disks replaced in my neck in August (could barely move right before, pain at 7-10 for a very long time.) I did everything else n going under the knife was only thing left to try. I’m 47. This winter I’ve been able to do 3+ hr sessions in heavy overhead ++ beach breaks in northern ca virtually pain free.

Go to a friggin doctor, if you don’t like that one then go see another one. Same with PT. Don’t wait, don’t ask the Internet-which is like trying to get a black belt by watching YouTube videos... some guys insist on doing that type of thing. Don’t be THAT guy.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Coat Hanger said:
Mr J said:
a physio said that usual dumbbell, barbell shoulder gym stuff is good coz it builds up the muscle and ligaments in the shoulders which helps protect. This sounds like what you are doing so is good.

The heavy duty stuff neglects the smaller rotator cuff muscles. The whole point of rotator cuff training is very light with high reps - almost doesn't feel like proper exercising. I like the elastic tubing ones best however I like the way this man explains how to isolate the rotator cuff muscles and avoid the bigger muscles such as delts taking over the exercise. Unlike the heavy stuff, rotator cuff can be exercised every day.

https://youtu.be/mvjQMoL246o
The muscles of the shoulder work in conjunction with and complimentary of each other. Why would you try and isolate the smaller weaker muscles (you can't) and ignore the larger and more powerful muscles? Why would you try (again, you can't) to create an imbalance in this necessary architecture?
Because with enough repetitive motion, the larger muscles will take over for the smaller muscles, leading to imbalance. Working smaller muscles in the rotator cuff isn't creating an imbalance, it's working to fix/avoid one.

See e.g., swimmers.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Swimming doesn’t isolate any of the shoulder or focus stress on the rotator cuff muscles. Trying to isolate the muscles of the rotator cuff is unsafe because you wind up loading the muscles that aren’t designed to carry load in that way.

When you use the shoulder joint in the way it was designed to be used, it is impossible to have muscle imbalances. Compound movements will always deliver the proper amount of stress to all the muscles in the shoulder group in the exact way the shoulder was designed to receive this stress.

Over use injuries of the shoulder are extremely common and are notoriously nagging. What are you going to do, not surf?

The best way to address a common case of shoulder tendinitis is to PROPERLY overhead press with a barbell, beginning with light weights and higher rep ranges, and increasing the weight while lowering the rep range over time. Once the subjective amount of relief is realized, begin to train your shoulders for strength because going through life like a weak female is only going to cause more issues.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Good thread - i was dealing with shoulder issues all last season as well. Long story short - tried multiple therapies related to my shoulder that would provide some short term relief - but after a couple surf sessions the issues/pain would return. After doing some research - found some interesting articles on secondary pain - whereas issues with shoulder pain could be originating from the neck. So started incorporating some basic neck exercises to strengthen my neck. I had been previously informed by a chiropractor that i had a lot of scar tissue in my neck/shoulders (from a car accident over a decade ago). When i started doing the basic neck exercises i could literally hear the scar tissue crunching and breaking up. I was at the point where i was considering wearing a compression shoulder sleeve while surfing - after about a month of doing the neck strengthening exercises on a daily basis - i've noticed a huge difference with pain relief and range of motion - to the point of not needing the compression sleeve and noticing a lot more power/flexibility with paddling. Interestingly - a swell hit and i spent a lot of time in the water and stopped doing the daily routine for 3 or 4 days and lo and behold the shoulder pain returned - albeit not as severe. So for me to stay in the water - doing the basic neck exercises combined with static/yoga stretches etc - have to be part of my everyday routine. Looking back as i think about it - what is the most vulnerable part of your body when getting significantly pounded on a wave - to me has to be the neck. In fact - my shoulder issues began after doing a face plant on an OH sized wave - where i didn't get my arms in front me in time. I remember feeling an electrical shock from my neck all the way down my arm. So i think it makes sense to work on strengthening the neck muscles and so far i'm seeing some positive results.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
when swimming embrace the recuperative powers of many flip-turns.

these also aid w/lower back problems.

not up to it? i teach now. momentum to wall. roll into cannonball. plant feet. push off. do a half twist.
repeat and tweak the act to your specs.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This week I had my first 100% pain free surf since June of 2017 when I first hurt it. Still a ways to go to get my speed and wind back but this was a big step to spend two hours in a restrictive 5mm wetsuit in cold water paddling, duck diving and surfing without the ice pick in the shoulder pain. No matter how much time you spend in the gym or in the pool there is no substitute for actually being on a surfboard.

Came across another simple exercise on YouTube in the video I posted above a couple of weeks ago that has helped a lot in a short period of time. Simply holding dumb bells in each hand with your palms forward, keeping your shoulders back in good posture, and gently swinging the dumb bells back and forth about 18 inches each way. When I first started I could only do 30 pound dumb bells for about 15 seconds at a time. Now I am up to the 60s. If you've never done this, give it a try. After you're done reach for the sky as high as you can. For me I feel a level of freedom in the shoulder joints I haven't had in ages. Static hangs helped me a lot and now adding this simple exercise to the mix has me feeling better than I have in a year and a half. Its as if the static hang and this new exercise have completely opened up the space where things were getting pinched and perhaps have broken up some scar tissue or simply let some remaining inflammation heal. Crossing my fingers that the progress continues.

Aug 2, 2006
Gromsdad, do yo mean with your palms facing inward? With my palms facing forward, the dumbbells hit the side of my legs or I have to swing them uncontrollably away from my body to clear my legs.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Palms forward. Yes you will have to keep them from hitting your legs a little bit. You're not swinging them hard so nothing should be out of control here. Total path of the dumbells is about 18 inches.....about 9 inches back and forth from the starting position. You're just gently rocking them back and forth in a motion like how you'd swing your arms while walking.

Clink link and watch: https://youtu.be/W-HMcC8qxRM?t=1549

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I do believe this is doing a lot more than warming up the muscles. From what I've read about the static hang and swinging the weights is that combined they create space in the joint so impingement doesn't continue and swinging the weights helps pull the joint back into a normal position. Probably helping with the rounded over shoulder posture from sitting and driving 8 to 10 hours a day.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
GromsDad said:
I do believe this is doing a lot more than warming up the muscles. From what I've read about the static hang and swinging the weights is that combined they create space in the joint so impingement doesn't continue and swinging the weights helps pull the joint back into a normal position. Probably helping with the rounded over shoulder posture from sitting and driving 8 to 10 hours a day.
There's no such thing as "space" in a joint.

Is it internal or external impingement?

You should read up on "Nocebo" then forget all the silly bullshit and go have some fun.