Best place to go in late December into new year

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Did you see the part about warm water and sun? But I will take you invite to the Outer banks.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Did either of you see the part about uncrowded in the original post?
OP didn't mention his preferences about temps. It doesn't get any more uncrowded or chill than the Outer Banks from Halloween to Spring break. Rent a big house with a hot-tub for peanuts. Bring a hooded 4/3 boots and gloves.
Yes, yes he did - see "Warm water and sun. "

See also - "And I meant fairly *uncrowded* surf "

Okay, just around the corner, not Marias area. You can score plenty of fairly uncrowded waves around in Rincon (parking lots, pools etc) and a bit further up in Aguadilla (maybe 5-10 miles away)...and 9 days out of 10 on the banks is gonna be cold with a relenting NE wind and nothing to do but play scrabble with the misses and booze with the crew you brought...have fun in that 5/4/3 anywhere above Avon. Outer Rincon (past Domes - Aguadilla) doesn't get any more chill, has interesting culture, mellow sh!t to do and easy to fly in and out of. I love Hatteras, but that move would be idiotic from "december into new year" as mentioned. October maybe, dude has a decent budget though and it's 4 hours from any airport.

Went for new years last year for 4 days - had a blast, scored the point at pools (there's a left and right) with a couple of guys, and had amazing food within walking distance (stayed near Tamboo).

Last edited:
Reactions: nowayout

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If I had money for a flight and car to OBX and could tolerate the temps at New Year's and wanted to surf beachbreak, I'd stay in California and drive North. Probably better odds for good conditions, warmer, weapons-grade weed in stores....

If the wind is mellow you can spend the flight and rental money on epic rich people food. If the wind is fucked you can spend the flight and rental money on epic cheap Chinese food and probably turn a shopping center in San Francisco into a modern day Roman Coliseum and stage bumfights like various historical battles.

All my friends like Puerto Rico. If I'm flying from California, in an El Nino year, (more NPAC storms tracking lower, more NE/ENE trades and less E/ESE/SE trades in PR or so locals have told me) off-season Samoa/Fiji/Tahiti/Galapagos is dunking on PR.

Reactions: wedge2 and sizzld1

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Gotta be the biggest clown show there at that time. Id avoid like the plague. N may have to end up driving out of the area for good waves
PR is not cheap at all, it can be cheap but in general not cheap. The area around Rincon is full of crowds/learners and is much more sheltered and far less consistent that other areas like aguadilla and Isabela. Depending when and where you surf you can easily avoid crowds especially if you are willing to drive around.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
PR is not cheap at all, it can be cheap but in general not cheap. The area around Rincon is full of crowds/learners and is much more sheltered and far less consistent that other areas like aguadilla and Isabela. Depending when and where you surf you can easily avoid crowds especially if you are willing to drive around.
PR is a very inexpensive trip if you live on the east coast. Here is the breakdown on my last trip in February:

Airfare Philadelphia to SanJuan: $79.00 round trip x 2 on Spirit.
Airport Parking: $180
Rental car: $360
Gas for rental car: $80
AirBnB: $1,200 for a killer spot near Jobos
Boardbags: $400 fuk you Spirit.
Food: cooked our own and ate at empanada stand. Cost minimal.

My only complaint is the crowds.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Yes, that was my point.
A friend owned a house there n used to to do extended trips - this was decades ago. Typically mid Nov through mid Dec. I’d buy a junker for a few hundred bucks, no registration or anything, n no problems.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Dont be shy of the crowds, You will get plenty of waves. Explore a little, have fun, eat some good empanadas, drink some penis coladas. Enjoy!

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I think we've settled on Puerto Rico. Never been. It'll be cheap for us. We don't need fancy things.
you will have a great trip. For waves i recommend staying in Isabela or Aguadilla and driving down to rincon ifthe waves are good. If you need any recommendation reach out! I might be down in PR at that time too if you wanna get in a session or something

Reactions: enframed

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
The most consistent surf zone is centered right at the Raphael Hernandez Airport. Be prepared for conditions that can range from knee high sideshore mush to waves that want to kill you. :waving:

There is pretty much always something to ride near the airport while other popular areas can go flat for a week at a time forcing you to drive an hour up to the North Coast if you want to find a surfable wave.

If its just a surf trip, stay near the airport. If its a family trip the non-surfers will be much happier in Rincon.

The shots below are all from within 3 miles of the airport. Gives you an idea of the range of conditions you might encounter.

1693828161720.png

1693829212165.png

1693829290368.png

1693829468520.png

This day I couldn't even get pictures of the set waves because the rider and wave were always obstructed by a mountain of whitewater in between. 20+foot faces on the biggest sets. Believe it or not this shot was a corner and even that I was standing on top of a picnic table to get the shot.

1693828345251.png

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Any good recommendations for hotels near the Hernandez airport in Puerto Rico?
There are plenty of AirBnBs in the area. There is a Courtyard Marriott and Punta Borinquen Resort within walking distance of the airport. I haven't stayed at either but have driven past them a hundred times. I always do AirBnB down there. Charlie Car is my go to car rental place at that airport.

Reactions: enframed