Best custom order experience

Nov 27, 2020
Hey was just wondering if anybody could share there experiences with ordering custom shapes online. The Good/ bad ugly experiences with shapers. I’ve had great experiences with Roberts in the past but looking to switch it up this year and wanted to see who people recommended. Was thinking Pyzel or maybe Rusty but open to any suggestions. Thanks for any input, this forum is great, glad I finally signed on!

Reactions: r32

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Great experience with Ron Meeks recently, 6'4" and 6'8". Kirk Bierke in 90's, bigger board.

Or Subway. Just the way you like it.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Hey was just wondering if anybody could share there experiences with ordering custom shapes online. The Good/ bad ugly experiences with shapers. I’ve had great experiences with Roberts in the past but looking to switch it up this year and wanted to see who people recommended. Was thinking Pyzel or maybe Rusty but open to any suggestions. Thanks for any input, this forum is great, glad I finally signed on!

best was firewire. i asked for tweaked dims, more foiled rail, hair more tail rocker and they freaking delivered! go custom firewire you cant lose!

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Wayne Okamoto- has made me several great boards . Great shaper , quick turn around
Brian Bulkley- excellent boards.
Steve Brom

Reactions: sdfriday

surfride1977

OTF status
Nov 20, 2005
In the last three months, I've ordered boards from both Rusty and Pyzel. Both were done through their websites, with followup conversations via email/text. The Rusty arrived after exactly 8 weeks, the Pyzel was more like 10.. Rusty was EPS with custom dims, glassing and airbrush, while Pyzel was stock dims with custom airbrush. Both boards came out perfectly, exactly what I had ordered with no surprises. I was told both shapers have a huge backlog of orders right now, so your mileage may vary..
I definitely recommend both labels with no hesitation. Good luck!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
My best custom order experiences have been with Stretch and Pyzel. I think we all know who the worst it :)

Lots of folks in the middle. Still worth waiting for boards from them but adjust your expectations and if you're requiring by a certain date, order early.

Reactions: trifish

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've had 2 customs from Rusty - both online via their custom board builder, with follow-up emails from Pedro. Both boards were tweaked from stock & came out exactly how I asked. The first one was done in 3 weeks, it was clear PU, and the second was an e-poly with airbrush and was done in 6 weeks.

IMO the best custom experiences are the outfits that have a robust board builder on their website to allow you to price out/see options/& initially place an order - followed up by quick responsiveness from an actual human at their respective shops, via phone call or email, to make any tweaks or answer questions you might have after the fact. Both Pyzel and Rusty seem like great options.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've never ordered a board online.

Feels weird.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur.

Mine have always been via talking with a shaper and/or guy that runs the business side of things (who has a symbiotic relationship relationship with the shaper). Sometimes talking to the front end guy works out even better.

Reactions: chilly1

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I just ordered a custom Pyzel Ghost, the initial back and forth was easy. Of course I started to think it was imperative to change two dimensions by a sixteenth (which we all know can make or break a board :sneaky:), and the Pyzel team were very accommodating.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I've had great experiences with both Barry Snyder and Brian Buckley. They both make some damn fine boards. I've heard that Tim Stamps right up there as well.

Reactions: paunch23