bermuda, bvi, bahamas or the caymans

Sep 29, 2004
I will shortly be posted to one of the following islands with my job and i was wondering if any of you guys have a strong view on the surf potential. I saw the 'crossing' scored some great waves just off the bvi's but i guess consistency is the big problem? I'm also an avid kite surfer / scuba diver so its not as limiting as at first sight. Having read a number of posts i'd say bvi's offer the most potential though open to other ideas?

Many thanks

Duffman219

Nep status
Dec 26, 2002
South Jersey
I have been to the BVI's a few times. Once I got great waves and the other times I got nothing. Its really hit or miss. If you are on any of those islands you can always get a flight to P.R. for the weekend at a low cost. Do not count on getting waves on any of those islands. If i were you I would try to get posted to P.R. or Barbados..if possible.

carioca

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 16, 2003
East Sea
Dude, you've picked the three most expensive places on the friggin' planet.

Eleuthera and Abaco always have surf in winter, and I'm sure they were classic this last hurrican season (five hurricanes in about 6 weeks!).

Bermuda is in the middle of the ***** Atlantic. It HAS to have surf.

And of course, some of those island down around St. Barts must pump.

Sep 29, 2004
Shocker about the costs i know but they're a great improvement on England! Sounds like BVI's with a fast boat is the go, looks like lots of nice islands all round there, many of which are unihabited. I guess barbados is the obvious option in the caribbean, but i've got a nasty feeling its gonna be Caymans.

Dec 17, 2003
bermuda north coast breaks way offshore..need a ride in a boat..sensitive to winds...south coast mostly summer...bahamas probably best spot...always something to ride(eluthra,abaco)...caymans, not too consistent, if u are by there..rather surf Jamaica instead..otherwise surf guadelope, trinidad, barbados, pr, dr..