Behind Cruz's Rampage: Obama's School-Leniency Policy

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Behind Cruz's Rampage: Obama's School-Leniency Policy

Despite committing a string of arrestable offenses on campus before the Florida school shooting, Nikolas Cruz was able to escape the attention of law enforcement, pass a background check and purchase the weapon he used to slaughter three school staff members and 14 fellow students because of Obama administration efforts to make school discipline more lenient.

Documents reviewed by RealClearInvestigations and interviews show that his school district in Florida’s Broward County was in the vanguard of a strategy, adopted by more than 50 other major school districts nationwide, allowing thousands of troubled, often violent, students to commit crimes without legal consequence. The aim was slowing the "school-to-prison pipeline."

“He had a clean record, so alarm bells didn’t go off when they looked him up in the system,” veteran FBI agent Michael Biasello told RCI. “He probably wouldn’t have been able to buy the murder weapon if the school had referred him to law enforcement."

Disclosures about the strategy add a central new element to the Parkland shooting story: It's not just one of official failings at many levels and of America's deep divide over guns, but also one of deliberate federal policy gone awry.

Norm'

Duke status
Jan 31, 2003
Lovetron
“He had a clean record, so alarm bells didn’t go off when they looked him up in the system,” veteran FBI agent Michael Biasello told RCI. “He probably wouldn’t have been able to buy the murder weapon if the school had referred him to law enforcement."

The cops were at his house 20+ times!

If only he'd been referred to law enforcement.... :bigdeal:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
mmmmm....

being a teacher makes me agree in part with the idea that lenient discipline policies are not a good. idea. I even wrote to my elected representatives about a law the CA legislature recently passed that made "willful defiance" a non suspendible offense. I stated that the attitudes the kids are learning leads from "willful defiance" to "resisting arrest" to "officer involved shooting." I also heard a report on NPR about how kids of color were unfairly targeted for "willful defiance" offenses. I was yelling at the radio because I can't think of any teacher that writes up "willful defiance" referrals based on race.

But, if the kid didn't have an AR but only a bolt action there might have been fewer deaths. And if he didn't have a gun at all, but only a knife, there may have only been injuries.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
patrolman said:
But, if the kid didn't have an AR but only a bolt action there might have been fewer deaths. And if he didn't have a gun at all, but only a knife, there may have only been injuries.
Or he could have built a bomb or ran down a bunch of students with his car. The real issue is that this Cruz guy wanted to kill a bunch of students at his former school. He happened to use a gun. He would have found a way. Law enforcement had plenty of opportunities to get him off the streets or at the very least put notes in his background so that he could not pass a background check to purchase a weapon. They failed. They did not do their duty. Why? Because of a government program designed to keep high schoolers out of the criminal system and keep their records clean as they enter adulthood.

What's really sick is that this "Promise Program" was tied to grant money from the US Department of Education. Using the program Broward County Schools effectively reduced juvenile arrests by 66% and as a result recieved $53,808,909 in grant money.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
GromsDad said:
patrolman said:
Or he could have built a bomb or ran down a bunch of students with his car. The real issue is that this Cruz guy wanted to kill a bunch of students at his former school. He happened to use a gun. He would have found a way. Law enforcement had plenty of opportunities to get him off the streets or at the very least put notes in his background so that he could not pass a background check to purchase a weapon. They failed. They did not do their duty. Why? Because of a government program designed to keep high schoolers out of the criminal system and keep their records clean as they enter adulthood.
How many bombings did we have?
How many car murders?

How many mass shootings by law abiding citizens with legally purchased weapons? :poke:

Also, bombs are illegal.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
What's really sick is that this "Promise Program" was tied to grant money from the US Department of Education. Using the program Broward County Schools effectively reduced juvenile arrests by 66% and as a result recieved $53,808,909 in grant money.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Norm' said:

The cops were at his house 20+ times!

If only he'd been referred to law enforcement.... :bigdeal:
Actualluy, closer to 40 times I think. And don't forget that he was known to the FBI too, and in the mental health system for 6 or 7 years as well.

But only if the school could have told someone about him!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
after Obama never wound up taking their guns, wouldn't it be
hilarious if Trump was the one who actually did the deed?

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
afoaf said:
The hilarity of that one would definitely cut both ways.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
afoaf said:
Yes

The question is, would leftists be able to give him any credit?

Do you want him to be tied to the gun nut community?

Or do you want to liberate trump to make necessary reform?

If you do- and you must acknowledge that obama totally failed in this area- you’ve got to be willing to feed the orange monster

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
BillyOcean said:
afoaf said:
Yes

If you do- and you must acknowledge that obama totally failed in this area- you’ve got to be willing to feed the orange monster
Everyone I know would applaud Trump for this. It's not going to happen since he's all bark and no bite, but it would be great if it did.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
BillyOcean said:
afoaf said:
Yes

Any meaningful gun reform spearheaded by Trump would very much alter my opinion of him. Obama failed. The reasons are obvious. Trump has done nothing yet.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
TAPPER: I think there are a lot of people, sir, who think that there are a lot of mistakes, other than that one deputy.

But let me ask you something else. A lot of people in the community have noted that the Broward County School Board entered into an agreement when you were sheriff in 2013 to pursue the — quote — “least punitive means of discipline” against students.

This new policy encouraged warnings, consultations with parents and programs on conflict resolution, instead of arresting students for crimes.

Were there not incidents committed by the shooter as a student had this new policy not been in place that otherwise he would have been arrested for and not able to legally buy a gun?

ISRAEL: What you’re referring to is the PROMISE Program.

And it’s giving the school — the school has the ability under certain circumstances not to call the police, not to get the police involved on misdemeanor offenses and take care of it within the school. It’s an excellent program.

It’s helping many, many people. What this program does is not put a person at 14, 15, 16 years old into the criminal justice system.

TAPPER: What if he should be in the criminal justice system? What if he does something violent to a student? What if he takes bullets to school? What if he takes knives to schools? What if he threatens the lives of fellow students?

ISRAEL: Then he goes to jail. That’s not applicable in the PROMISE Program.

TAPPER: That’s not what happened. But that’s not what happened with the shooter.

ISRAEL: If – Jake, you’re telling me that the shooter took knives to school or bullets to school, and police knew about it?

TAPPER: I don’t know if police knew about it.

ISRAEL: No. Well, police …

TAPPER: I know that the agreement that you entered into with the school allowed the school to give this kid excuse after excuse after excuse, while, obviously …

ISRAEL: Not for bullets, not for bullets, not for guns, not for knives, not for felonies, not for anything like that. These are infractions within the school, small amounts of marijuana, some misdemeanors.

You’re absolutely exacerbating it. That’s not …

(CROSSTALK)

TAPPER: There are at teachers at the school had been told, if you see Cruz come on campus with a backpack, let me know.

Does that not indicate that there is something seriously awry with the PROMISE Program if these teachers are being told, watch out for this kid, and you don’t know about it?

ISRAEL: We don’t know that that has anything to do with the PROMISE Program. I didn’t hear about this until after the fact. I have heard about this information about a week ago. I do know about it. I don’t know who the teacher was. It hasn’t been corroborated, but that has nothing to do with the PROMISE Program.

I can’t, nor can any other Broward sheriff’s deputy, handle anything or act upon something you don’t know about it. There’s no malfeasance or misfeasance if you don’t know about something.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
OTdos said:
:roflmao: your desperate deflections are pathetic.
Less guns, less shootings. That's it. Spin it all you want, you crack pot :socrazy:
No rifles of any kind in the US at all means ~350 fewer murders a year at the very most, and that's only under the assumption that 0% those shooters will use a handgun or a shotgun instead.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
The gun issue (which there is no issue) is being used as a scapegoat and is the focus of an organized propaganda campaign against the 2nd amendment.

The real issue is the actions of Cruz and the culpability of local authorities for their dereliction of duty.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
GromsDad said:
The gun issue (which there is no issue) is being used as a scapegoat and is the focus of an organized propaganda campaign against the 2nd amendment.

The real issue is the actions of Cruz and the culpability of local authorities for their dereliction of duty.
So you’re cool with kids getting shot?

It’s worth it for you?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
manbearpig said:
GromsDad said:

So you’re cool with kids getting shot?

It’s worth it for you?
No I'm not cool with kids getting shot. That's why I want the death penalty for Cruz and why I think every one of those people at fault for Cruz being on the street should be out of a job.