Beautiful Central California

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
I absolutely love living here, the blend of open space with smaller, viable towns is really nice, with just enough industry to make a living. Although it seems that many towns around here are changing, getting more crowded with Bay Area and LA peeps moving into our area and working remotely.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ok, just know that you could make a great living selling with a different company and in a different industry
I’m not saying you should, but don’t feel like you cant
You own your path
Choose it
Reconsider it
Rechoose it, redirect it, continue to own it
But always know you have options
And living on the central coast, or anywhere you choose, is a real option
fully agree. Part of my "can't move to central Cal and make a bunch of money selling wind turbine tech" issue is purely laziness. I've spent 13 years here building up a big book of business, a solid reputation, and virtually impregnable corporate "armor". Just this morning I was showing our CEO my new "Pilgrim" tattoo on my bicep...

It would take a LOT of money and a big title to walk away from what I have built for myself in this company. The title being important not for ego, but to ensure a certain degree of corporate armor

Reactions: parkiteric

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
fully agree. Part of my "can't move to central Cal and make a bunch of money selling wind turbine tech" issue is purely laziness. I've spent 13 years here building up a big book of business, a solid reputation, and virtually impregnable corporate "armor". Just this morning I was showing our CEO my new "Pilgrim" tattoo on my bicep...

It would take a LOT of money and a big title to walk away from what I have built for myself in this company. The title being important not for ego, but to ensure a certain degree of corporate armor
Nothing personal subway, and I'm sure it wouldn't matter anyways because you seem quite happy and proud of your work...but I kinda love how much of what you write about work life sounds alien and off-putting to me. Just hearing the phrase "impregnable corporate armor" makes me want to put on Jimmy Buffett music and fly to somewhere without cell reception :ROFLMAO:
Coming from someone lonely and broke, no one you would want to trade places with: your life sounds like hair loss in uncomfortable clothes.
California born and raised, out!

(With a tinge of jealously, and gallons of jest)

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Speaking of Jimmy Buffett, is Randy Newman the west coast version of Jimmy Buffett?

I mean, sure, I would rather listen to old episodes of Hee Haw than listen to either, but in my mind, they are the two cookies that cover the vanilla-esque filling of Oreos.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Speaking of Jimmy Buffett, is Randy Newman the west coast version of Jimmy Buffett?

I mean, sure, I would rather listen to old episodes of Hee Haw than listen to either, but in my mind, they are the two cookies that cover the vanilla-esque filling of Oreos.

Song #1 on my Music You Can't Play Up Here playlist. Maybe if Dodgers win tonight. But my neighbors are way too nice. One even brought over cookies this morning to welcome us to the neighborhood.

Subway, how in the hell would you considering continuing to working the grind to be lazy?

My career goal has always been retirement. Always added an extra-special layer of bullshit to the "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" interview question because you can't say that. :roflmao:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

How dare you...:cursing:randy fvcking Newman couldn't hold Jimmy Buffett's margarita while he lights a joint!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I humbly disagree.
The Filmore gets an honorable mention.

Look at his early stuff. Lots of message, no fluff.

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1) Dawn patrol to some spot north of GG Bridge. Huey already there, checking it out. Crap conditions, but since we're already there after the drive, go out anyway. He did not.

2) In the video Need a new Drug, he leaves from Potrero Hill to the ferry, goes north to Sausalito/Larkspur/Vallejo, then turns back to San Francisco. Woman on boat in swimsuit must have boiling hot blood to manage that pose for any number of takes. Then gets on helicopter near what is now the baseball stadium for quick tour. No idea what music venue that is.

3) It is good some people prefer Buffett to Newman and vice versa. Both don't do much for me but I am a heathen.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I absolutely love living here, the blend of open space with smaller, viable towns is really nice, with just enough industry to make a living. Although it seems that many towns around here are changing, getting more crowded with Bay Area and LA peeps moving into our area and working remotely.
Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, maybe Ebay. I dunno if all but a few of those have buses running to Santa Cruz, so employees can more easily live there, and real estate is cheaper than Silicon Valley. So much contributing to crowds. Google has like 6-8 buses a day running to and from Mountain View to Santa Cruz. Well, they did before Covid, now their employees can surf even more!

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: Kaido and rice

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I associate that song with the beginning of the LA Marathon. Always an exciting moment so I grew to like it. If you've never run a big city marathon this is the start (go to 4:00, music starts at 4:30). The last time I ran it, 2019, it took me 15 minutes to reach the start line after the start gun.

ps Have a look Kento. It's definitely a party atmosphere at the start. I miss it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That atmosphere in the beginning is awesome. Gotta be hard to not let adrenaline take over although 15 minutes to get to the start line will take that p*ss and vinegar out of you a little.

Sebastopol IPA 10K was a blast in the beginning. Everyone toasted a (small) beer at the start line. Bummed I had to miss the Brewfest after where it was pretty much AYCD. Next year, though, for sure. :beer:

It's nice having weather in the 50s for a race; do not miss summertime 80 degree morning temps.

Reactions: One-Off

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Nothing personal subway, and I'm sure it wouldn't matter anyways because you seem quite happy and proud of your work...but I kinda love how much of what you write about work life sounds alien and off-putting to me. Just hearing the phrase "impregnable corporate armor" makes me want to put on Jimmy Buffett music and fly to somewhere without cell reception :ROFLMAO:
Coming from someone lonely and broke, no one you would want to trade places with: your life sounds like hair loss in uncomfortable clothes.
California born and raised, out!

(With a tinge of jealously, and gallons of jest)
Lol, I can be a little dramatic In my phrasing, and I surely don’t take your comment personally, and appreciate the jest…Our “corporate culture” is ridiculously simple and pretty good natured. Nobody needs armor except for maybe a few sketchball senior level folks that have legit skeletons in their closets. I have a great career, don’t have to try and scramble up some BS ladder…I answer to no one except my clients (yes that can sometimes suck and make you want to sell everything and move to nica or someplace), and I basically do whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as I run my business right, which I do. Kinda got it made. Sure I don’t live in Carmel and play spy glass when the wind turns onshore, but despite the cold, and long flat spells, life in Lb is pretty sweet. Even if it means wearing nice clothes and playing the work role well enough to be able to afford it here and still travel and live a full, fun, and philanthropic life.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
And without kids, the way things overall seem to be playing out, I can ”retire” to move on to far more fun places and things far earlier than otherwise. It’s a worthwhile trade off. The work tradeoff I mean. Kids would have been great had it been in the cards for us, but that’s a whole different thread
After all, I am a born and raised New Yorker. This is home, and to live here you gotta hustle if you wanna live well

oh and because Randy figures so prominently in this thread, I give you this classic…those who know, know

Last edited:
Reactions: parkiteric