Basque Country

Jun 21, 2021
French holidays are always until the end of August. From then on crowds taper off. Early September until late October is an excellent period to visit. The water is still really warm and weather is good. Waves are picking since autumn storms are tracking the Atlantic. This is by far the best period in my opinion when traveling with (non surfing) family and friends.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Yeah that’s why I was thinking. We went to Portugal in mid October last year, the surf and crowds were great but by the end of the trip the weather was a bit questionable.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I am looking at doing a trip through this region and the beaches in France next year with my wife. I haven't really done much research besides watching clips. It seems like late summer is a good time for the French beaches but is there a better time to go? Late September seemed nice, less crowded than peak summer months but still nice and warm.
Never go to the beaches in Europe in August. It’s when all the Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italians, take their annual holidays. Everything much better Sept. Oct might get surf but hit/miss with stormy weather.
rent a car and make your way down from France (Hossegor, Biarritz, Anglet) to Spain. San Sebastian is great. The happy hour tapas/pinxchos crawl around the old town is fun. But there’s also plenty of small villages and mom n pop B&Bs throughout the region. Good seafood and food everywhere