Basque Country

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
It's July, I'm expecting flatness so anything waist + would be a major bonus. I'm already covered on summertime thrusters might have to pick up a Pukas La Cote (midlegnth thruster). I like the look of that channeled twin but I spend too much time on by backhand, thruster makes more sense.
The la cote gets a thumbs up from several of my buddies :jamon:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Howzit Euro travelers - My son is looking to check out this area (Hossegor - Biarritz - San Sebastian) in early - mid November. He will already be in Europe and is looking at shooting down there from Paris via train for a few days. I was last there 25 years ago - was there in the spring and caught it pretty good - but have no idea what it's like anymore, espeically in November. Does anyone here have any knowledge of the area in November? Primarily, how is the weather, how is the surf and how are the towns? If it's raining with big messy surf and the towns are dead he will probably skip it, but if there's potentrial for some decent surf, some not bad weather (he's from Oregon so he's used to weather but doesn't want to just sit inside) and some fun to be had in town he is interested. He'll probably play it by weather. Also, any input on reasonable hotels or hostels (are things open this time of year or do they shut down for the winter?), or any advice on getting there and around is appreciated. What about boards and wetsuits? He's not bringing a board so can one be rented? What about a wetsuit? Anything else to know or to look out for? Finally, between Hossegor, Biarritz and San Sebastian, which would you think is the best place to post up on a solo mission for a smart, charismatic, somewhat saavy 18 year old who surfs good and skates better?

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
We were there back in march. did a little road trip all the way down to Santiago de Compostela. Spent little time surf wise, but San Sebastián (playa Zurriola) was very fun and the food was amazing. Well the food was amazing everywhere. San Sebastián has that like bigger city vibe, where as Biarritz I felt had more of a smaller town beach vibe. Wave was fun one day, then two days after was stormy and looked like you could drown in there. I def want to go back.
Lots of surf shops around San Sebastián. I think I saw a Pukas store there.

Reactions: bruhdakine
Jun 21, 2021
November... Can be really good, but can be stormy as well. But when he is flexible, he will normally be able to score some back tot back swells. The train connection between Paris and Biarritz is excellent and from Biarritz/Bayonne there are several busses going to Hossegor. There is a local train going San Sebastián (Donostia).

Currently the water temperature is still (way) above normal (24 degrees Celsius). In November a 4/3 should be okay and even on the warmer days a 3/2 could be possible. You don't need shoes.

Boards can be rented, but you're are entering off season. Better contact some shops before traveling south. October is still a busy month with a lot of travellers coming from all over Europe. Camp sites will be closed in November, but there are more than enough lodging options although some hostels and hotels will do their renovations in this month. Airbnb and booking.com offer several options for lodging.

In terms of surfing and vibes. Hossegor can be really dead during weekdays in November and the swells can be challenging when there is a set of storms tracking the Atlantic. Biarritz has more of a city feel and two beaches that have a bit more mellow waves on offer. For pumping waves he could check Anglet (which is directly connected with Biarritz).

San Sebastián is the most urban. Food is excellent, but weather can also be more challenging. They do have significantly more rainy days than Biarritz. The water also tends to be a little cooler over there. The surf is to be found at playa Zurriola where you can also find one of the two Pukas stores. Can be really busy in the water since this is the only playa where you can surf in Donostia.

In terms of Surf I would suggest Biarritz since it has several beaches on offer. In terms of the complete 'I want to experience Europe' picture and surfing is nice to have I would suggest Donostia.

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Thank you both! Really appreciate the feedback and detailed information. He is a strong surfer but I don't think he is looking to get into anything too heavy surf wise as he will be by himself. He want's more than just surf out of this part of his trip, but admittedly, surf is the goal. I will share your infromation with him. Thanks again, it is super helpful.

Morrisone, do you live in that part of the world?

Jun 21, 2021
Yep, that's the one. Just in front of Playa Zurriola. The have a good collection of boards for sale and always some rentals. You can park almost on the beach in the Kursaal parkhouse (100 meters west of the Pukas store). It is nowadays easier to enter the city from the east and park in the Kursaal parkhouse (less traffic jams). Not only is this the best surfing beach in San Sebastián. Kursaal is also just a little stroll from the old city center which is famous for its Pintxo bars and restaurants. In the old city you can find the second Pukas store of San Sebastian. But this is more a fashion store.

Jun 21, 2021
Thank you both! Really appreciate the feedback and detailed information. He is a strong surfer but I don't think he is looking to get into anything too heavy surf wise as he will be by himself. He want's more than just surf out of this part of his trip, but admittedly, surf is the goal. I will share your infromation with him. Thanks again, it is super helpful.

Morrisone, do you live in that part of the world?
I live in Europe and we do several trips in spring, early summer and autumn to this part of Europe. Not so often during summer because of too many people, crazy prices and smaller waves. In case you have more questions, let me know.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Howzit Euro travelers - My son is looking to check out this area (Hossegor - Biarritz - San Sebastian) in early - mid November. He will already be in Europe and is looking at shooting down there from Paris via train for a few days. I was last there 25 years ago - was there in the spring and caught it pretty good - but have no idea what it's like anymore, espeically in November. Does anyone here have any knowledge of the area in November? Primarily, how is the weather, how is the surf and how are the towns? If it's raining with big messy surf and the towns are dead he will probably skip it, but if there's potentrial for some decent surf, some not bad weather (he's from Oregon so he's used to weather but doesn't want to just sit inside) and some fun to be had in town he is interested. He'll probably play it by weather. Also, any input on reasonable hotels or hostels (are things open this time of year or do they shut down for the winter?), or any advice on getting there and around is appreciated. What about boards and wetsuits? He's not bringing a board so can one be rented? What about a wetsuit? Anything else to know or to look out for? Finally, between Hossegor, Biarritz and San Sebastian, which would you think is the best place to post up on a solo mission for a smart, charismatic, somewhat saavy 18 year old who surfs good and skates better?
I'd recommend renting a car or scooter to get around if surfing is in the cards. Looking at the forecast to see which end of things to start with would dictate where you want to branch out from.

You would want a wetsuit. Pukas or somewhere in Hossegor would probably get you dialed. THere's potential for phenomenal surf, or not.

Reactions: bruhdakine

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Yep, that's the one. Just in front of Playa Zurriola. The have a good collection of boards for sale and always some rentals. You can park almost on the beach in the Kursaal parkhouse (100 meters west of the Pukas store). It is nowadays easier to enter the city from the east and park in the Kursaal parkhouse (less traffic jams). Not only is this the best surfing beach in San Sebastián. Kursaal is also just a little stroll from the old city center which is famous for its Pintxo bars and restaurants. In the old city you can find the second Pukas store of San Sebastian. But this is more a fashion store.
I was in San Sebastian four years ago in April. Rented good boards from this Pukas shop; my son was living there then and had several of their boards. A big storm was just moving out when I arrived, and a large, sloppy swell came with it. The weather cleared, the surf cleaned up and Zurriola was very good for five straight days, but crowded. That week was clear skies and sun, but my son said it was the longest stretch of good weather so far that year. Lots of oobies on the beach. It rains a lot there, and it started my last day there delaying my flight out. I think the weather in the winter/early spring is pretty wet.

My son and some of his buddies surfed down the coast, and hit Mundaka on a big, clean day with only three other surfers out. Said it was epic. When I was there it was completely flat, even though Zurriola was very good.

Even if the surf/weather don't cooperate, there is plenty to do there, hiking, cycling, sightseeing. The food is incredible.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Northern Spain is one of my favorite places. I would consider the following stops:
  • San Sebastian (must see, and plenty for the wife. We stayed in Zarautz and day tripped to San Sebastian.)​
  • Zarautz (laid back beach town 30 minutes west of San Sebastian. )​
  • Mundaka (cool town to check out on your way to Bilbao, even if you don't surf it. Maybe you're lucky and its surfable and uncrowed)​
  • Bilbao (Guggenheim museum)​
  • Playa Somo/Santander (Somo is a laid back surf town. Take the ferry across to Santander)​
  • Gijon (Barrio de la Sidra, check out the restaurants and cider bars. The Sidra is like a cross between champagne and paint thinner, but it grows on you.)​
  • Rodiles (little Mundaka)​
That's as far as I've made it, but I'm sure there is more to see if you've got the time and keep going. Northern Spain is an amazing stretch of coast to explore. Food and wine is great and affordable. People are friendly and most speak English better than we speak Spanish.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Northern Spain is one of my favorite places. I would consider the following stops:
  • San Sebastian (must see, and plenty for the wife. We stayed in Zarautz and day tripped to San Sebastian.)​
  • Mundaka (cool town to check out on your way to Bilbao, even if you don't surf it. Maybe you're lucky and its surfable and uncrowed)​
  • Playa Somo/Santander (Somo is a laid back surf town. Take the ferry across to Santander)​
  • Gijon (Barrio de la Sidra, check out the restaurants and cider bars. The Sidra is like a cross between champagne and paint thinner, but it grows on you.)​
That's as far as I've made it, but I'm sure there is more to see if you've got the time and keep going. Northern Spain is an amazing stretch of coast to explore. Food and wine is great and affordable. People are friendly and most speak English better than we speak Spanish.
Sidra paint thinner? You had bad Sidra!

Sidra literally translates to Cider, as in Apple?

And that's exactly what it is, alcoholic apple cider.

Paint thinner, good lord I wonder what you drank?!?!?!?

Everything is kosher in Northern Spain, just stay away from Galicia. That place is spooky, witches and Warlocks, no waves, bad food, ugly women who won't put out. They're 2/7, not holding. Skip straight to Northern Portugal and head South.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Well, it wasn't bad. For me it was an acquired taste that I appreciated more as the night wore on. The servers put on a good show pouring. The next morning after a light rain, the whole town smelled like cider.

Last edited:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Sidra paint thinner? You had bad Sidra!

Sidra literally translates to Cider, as in Apple?

And that's exactly what it is, alcoholic apple cider.

Paint thinner, good lord I wonder what you drank?!?!?!?

Everything is kosher in Northern Spain, just stay away from Galicia. That place is spooky, witches and Warlocks, no waves, bad food, ugly women who won't put out. They're 2/7, not holding. Skip straight to Northern Portugal and head South.
Yeah, the cider houses are epic in season. We ate at one with a six course fixed menu--including the best steak i have ever eaten. They called it a "chuleta" but it didn't look like any chuleta I'd seen in Latin America. They would bring you more of any course you wanted, and we ate three of them; it was a large steak they sliced at your table.

In between courses we went to the barrel room to get more cider, a different one each trip. The cider was in huge barrels with wooden corks and we would line up and fill our glasses when they pulled the cork. Lots of singing and so forth.

One of the most memorable dining experiences ever.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Agreed on all accounts.
Sopelana, Bakio, and Zarautz can be reliable if it's small.
Literally every corner bar has piles of food that are better than what you'll get in the US for 4xs the price. And the hospitality in restaurants is beyond "good service", it's just good living.

The 3-4 times I was in the area, it was summer, so it was the height of crowds, which get quite attractive. In November, lots of the touristy stuff will be shut, so you'll have to work to find some gold, but it's there.

Again, having a little car or scooter would be a tremendous help.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yeah, the cider houses are epic in season. We ate at one with a six course fixed menu--including the best steak i have ever eaten. They called it a "chuleta" but it didn't look like any chuleta I'd seen in Latin America. They would bring you more of any course you wanted, and we ate three of them; it was a large steak they sliced at your table.

In between courses we went to the barrel room to get more cider, a different one each trip. The cider was in huge barrels with wooden corks and we would line up and fill our glasses when they pulled the cork. Lots of singing and so forth.

One of the most memorable dining experiences ever.
You ate CHULETON not CHULETA.

Chuleta is a cutlet, as in a veal cutlet or a pork chop that's on the thinner side.

Chuleta

Chuleton, is the same shaped cut, but way thicker.

Chuleton

In case you are ever back there and want the same cut of meat.

Typically a Chuleta is a single serving cut, while the Chuleton can feed several servings.

Reactions: Clayster

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I am looking at doing a trip through this region and the beaches in France next year with my wife. I haven't really done much research besides watching clips. It seems like late summer is a good time for the French beaches but is there a better time to go? Late September seemed nice, less crowded than peak summer months but still nice and warm.