Bali in August

jedavey

OTF status
Dec 26, 2004
Perth
Trying to organise a trip up to Bali for August and am thoroughly stoked! but can anyone tell me why the Stormriders Guide has the surf conditions for August as 'yellow' when both July & Sept. are 'green'?

Indo Surf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 2, 2004
Indonesia
Visit site
Crowds maybe?

August is actually usually the BEST month for large perfect surf, but peak holiday season for tourists/surfers from Europe, UK, US and Australia.

July and September have very similar top quality waves, just a lot less crowded.

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
I don't think you really need to use a 'surf guide' (read as: camp/arranged package) for Bali. If you plan on going to Lombok or the other islands, a boat package wouldn't be a bad call depending on your finances. I'm heading there for September and October.

-d

Dec 3, 2004
Any of you guys surf Sumbawa? Am heading there in July. (Lakey Peak area) Any comments???

Have 4 days planned for G land as well. Epic last September.

Feb 4, 2005
dude bali is sooo freaking crowded....i just got back from a trip to bali, java, and the mentawai's. ii was in bali for that first huge swell, and it was pretty epic.....but as soon as the swell dropped below 12 foot faces there was between 60-80 guys at ulu's, padang 40 guys out if its breaking, impossibles to kuta beach unbelievably crowded, canggu lots of locals and pros. mentawais are where it is at.