Backing Into A Parking Space: What's The Point?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
In my recent travels, Silicon Valley was the absolute worst place I've been in besides NYC and Mexico City.
It took me longer than it should have but I have come to the realization that all cities are pretty much the same and that they all suck. :roflmao:

I notice that when I get north of the Bay Area, all the way to the Canadian border, people magically learn how to drive considerate.
Weed just might be a factor in this. :roflmao:

I do appreciate the fact that it's like Hawaii Time up here but without so many tourists.

And the irony of me being a tourist in Hawaii in a few weeks is not lost on me. At least I won't have to/can't do any of the driving so there's that.

• Love
Reactions: Firebird

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I know a lot of guys down here in texas do it because the plants require it for safety, that and a long wheel base truck is easier to maneuver.

I drive a loooong truck and never really did it because my turning radius is solid.
I have been doing it recently because I work downtown now and its a clusterfuck to get out sometimes.

A month or so I pulled in nose first early in the morning...
was leaving and a porche 911 S was next to me, Mustang Shelby behind me and a new vette behidn me as well.
That was not a fun backout...

no backup camera or tow mirrors on my old hunk a junk

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I only drive a couple of times a year and not where there’s any traffic to worry about but if I did I’d do whatever @rice does.

• Haha
Reactions: Joshua2415

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
The current day manta of the general public is "I'd rather inconvenience other people so I'm not inconvenienced myself".

I see it everyday everywhere I go.

Not just on the roads and parking lots but in stores and restaurants and carwash and and and.................
They get off knowing that you know that they know you see em too. Triggers me sometimes. People are so mean.

Reactions: keenfish

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
It took me longer than it should have but I have come to the realization that all cities are pretty much the same and that they all suck. :roflmao:

Weed just might be a factor in this. :roflmao:

I do appreciate the fact that it's like Hawaii Time up here but without so many tourists.

And the irony of me being a tourist in Hawaii in a few weeks is not lost on me. At least I won't have to/can't do any of the driving so there's that.
Last time me and wifey were in Hawaii - BIGGEST CLUSTERFVCK traffic scene EVER.
Worst than the 405 in LA/OC/SD at 4:30pm. It's got to be worse since we were there in 2018.
Good luck buddy. IMOHO.... Not worth it:shrug:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I usually only back in to my driveway because of all the baby makers in our neighborhood. We have tall fences on both sides of our property and it's difficult to tell if a stroller family is passing by when backing up. I'll also back in to my parking spot at work because it's only a few feet from my door and I can load up for a quick lunchtime session. :waving:

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Last time me and wifey were in Hawaii - BIGGEST CLUSTERFVCK traffic scene EVER.
Worst than the 405 in LA/OC/SD at 4:30pm. It's got to be worse since we were there in 2018.
Good luck buddy. IMOHO.... Not worth it:shrug:
I know... dreading that part a little.

Staying in Waikiki and not sure whether that's bad or worse. But at least only a couple blocks from the beach. And just being in 82 water is a gift in itself.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I know... dreading that part a little.

Staying in Waikiki and not sure whether that's bad or worse. But at least only a couple blocks from the beach. And just being in 82 water is a gift in itself.
Dude, with elementary school age kids, you're gonna have so much killer stuff within walking distance. the zoo, the aquarium, the beach. Sea Life Park and Hanauma Bay are easy bus rides. No reason to even get behind the wheel.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Hawaiian style

back in the day if you parked a$$ in at any westside break it was a sign that you were one one of the braddas...and your car was generally left alone...especially at makaha where visibility was real bad for leaving backing out you were totally blind to oncoming traffic from yokes directions...so all the locals backed in...

nowadays with all the meth heads running around they smash the windows and steal from everybody local or not:drowning:

Reactions: Chocki

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
In my recent travels, Silicon Valley was the absolute worst place I've been in besides NYC and Mexico City.
yeah... i've been going over to wingfoil in the bay and been dealing with some traffic. toxic environment.

i drive a Ram 1500 and generally either back in or pull through. as has been said many times - backing a truck into a spot is way easier than pulling in. especially in all the tiny-ass parking spots everywhere. i too try to park as far away from everyone else a possible.

had a run in with some dickhead in a sprinter at one of the windsport launched last week that got under my skin. i pulled into the lot and parked in spot where the spots on either side of me were open. centered between the lines. took the dog for a play session, checked out the conditions and started rigging my gear. by the time i started changing into my wetsuit, all the spots around me were full and sprinter guy was parked cockeyed in a spot and partially blocking the prius next to me. he asked if i would mind moving my truck over so the guy next to me could move over so he could pull into the spot. i said "i'm not moving". he got fussy and actually said i was being a jerk. i was like, look man, when i pulled into the spot, no one else was here. the guys on either side of me saw how much room was available and decided to park next to me. now you want to inconvenience me and everyone else so you can have a specific parking spot? why don't you go find another spot to fit your pieceofshit van? i really don't people very much...

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Dude, with elementary school age kids, you're gonna have so much killer stuff within walking distance. the zoo, the aquarium, the beach. Sea Life Park and Hanauma Bay are easy bus rides. No reason to even get behind the wheel.
That's kinda what I am liking right there. I figured I'd just rent a board in one of the shops in town instead of paying the $$$ to fly a board there and back. Makapu'u has always been a favorite too, be so much fun to take the kids there and do some bodysurfing in the meantime. Sea Life Park right around the corner. Have heard Haunama Bay is a bit of a shitshow and paying money to snorkel rankles my soul a bit so thinking Sharks Cove and some other nearby areas. Regardless, should be a great time and very much looking forward to it. :jamon:

Reactions: Firebird

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
At the parking lot outside of big companies they have reverse parking so people won't crash into each other when going home.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
yeah... i've been going over to wingfoil in the bay and been dealing with some traffic. toxic environment.

i drive a Ram 1500 and generally either back in or pull through. as has been said many times - backing a truck into a spot is way easier than pulling in. especially in all the tiny-ass parking spots everywhere. i too try to park as far away from everyone else a possible.

had a run in with some dickhead in a sprinter at one of the windsport launched last week that got under my skin. i pulled into the lot and parked in spot where the spots on either side of me were open. centered between the lines. took the dog for a play session, checked out the conditions and started rigging my gear. by the time i started changing into my wetsuit, all the spots around me were full and sprinter guy was parked cockeyed in a spot and partially blocking the prius next to me. he asked if i would mind moving my truck over so the guy next to me could move over so he could pull into the spot. i said "i'm not moving". he got fussy and actually said i was being a jerk. i was like, look man, when i pulled into the spot, no one else was here. the guys on either side of me saw how much room was available and decided to park next to me. now you want to inconvenience me and everyone else so you can have a specific parking spot? why don't you go find another spot to fit your pieceofshit van? i really don't people very much...
Brah I had some crusty local up at the mtn last day of the season? last winter ask me to move my truck bc I was in another crusty locals favorite spot. The fucking lot was basically empty but I was in a good mood so I said whatever and moved. A total of 15’ away smh.

People suck and I’m getting old and running out of patience so I’m worried ima just start telling the ones being assholes/whiny bitches to get fucked.

Reactions: averagejoe