Backing Into A Parking Space: What's The Point?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I heard it's an 808 thing, and that cops don't like it in states with no front plate, because they can't read the license plates.

I back into my own spot because I live right next to a decently busy intersection and line of sight is abysmal. If whatever lot is busy and someone parks like a moron, be it not within the spot or badly off to one side making door openage tight, that's lame. Otherwise IDGAF.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
We were required to back into any parking space at my old job. You would be written up if you didn't. We had fleet trucks of Ford Ranger's and Toyota Tacoma's. I think it was because we were a forestry/urban forestry company we could exit fast in case of fires?

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
I've got some theories-

If you need to exit the parking lot in a hurry, you may save 2 seconds doing so- unless of course the way is blocked by another motorist.

You want people to ogle and admire your new truck.

You want people to admire your new Tesla which really isn't as cool as new truck but since truck guys do a lot of this and you really-really want to be cool, you do it too, and justify it in your head by telling yourself that it's just habit from putting your Tesla on parking lot chargers which you have to do about every second time you park the thing.

You may decide to start your career in crime while grocery shopping and are prepping for a rapid getaway in your Tesla with a bag of organic fruit and a bottle of wine in tow.

All the cool kids are doing it, and by God, you want to be cool too.

Chuck Norris does not back into anything.
As you were.
Because I want to. Get over it Karen and mind your own business.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why do you all care so much what other people do? Is this what America has become? Bunch of pansies whining about everything, all the time.

:poke:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Why do you all care so much what other people do? Is this what America has become? Bunch of pansies whining about everything, all the time.

:poke:
Why do you care so much about other people caring so much about what other people do?
Actually, i don’t care why you care, but I guess this is just a prompt for you to think about the irony of your post.
every time you pull into a parking space, think about that

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Another reason to back your truck into a space, at least one that has a median/strip behind is then you won’t stick out as much

One of my legit truck bro pro tricks is folding the mirrors before toll booths, when you gotta enter the gate code to go to the storage unit aka the bat cave etc

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
It's a safety/insurance thing. You're way more likely to have some sort of collision backing out of a spot than backing in to a spot. I used to work for a large global company (>175K employees) that required you to back into parking spots if you were driving a company owned vehicle. They were self insured and the backing in rule reduced parking related collisions by >75%.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Just yesterday as I was struggling to Park head-in style, with this thread in mind too, but the guy next to me in his easy to park little I don't know what kind of car it was hit the button to draw his mirrors in so I wouldn't take em out. Kind of funny way to diss a mellow non-jacked up full size pickup guy who has no problem admitting I can't park but I make it worse by trying. I always look for more spots farther away.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
so when there are signs that say “head in park ing only” Is that just so law / parking enforcement can see license plates, irregardless of it increasing the likelihood of an accident?

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Just yesterday as I was struggling to Park head-in style, with this thread in mind too, but the guy next to me in his easy to park little I don't know what kind of car it was hit the button to draw his mirrors in so I wouldn't take em out. Kind of funny way to diss a mellow non-jacked up full size pickup guy who has no problem admitting I can't park but I make it worse by trying. I always look for more spots farther away.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
so when there are signs that say “head in park ing only” Is that just so law / parking enforcement can see license plates, irregardless of it increasing the likelihood of an accident?
Could be. However if it’s in a private parking lot I doubt it’s enforceable

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Could be. However if it’s in a private parking lot I doubt it’s enforceable
I’ve seen it in municipal parking, and parking at the lirr train station.
but if I notice it in any private parking lot, I’m sure I’ll pay way more attention that I wouldve before seeing this thread

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why do you care so much about other people caring so much about what other people do?
Actually, i don’t care why you care, but I guess this is just a prompt for you to think about the irony of your post.
every time you pull into a parking space, think about that

Here's where I park....

08_majanicho_beach.jpg

...down to the right.

No need to worry about it, chicken curry.

:poke::waving::shaka:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The best is back in parking only but someone insists on pulling in front first.

always funny to watch them try and back out