Are you old or young?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
What do you see?

Item here.

Blurb:

If you've ever wondered why you see whichever woman you see first, an Australian study conducted by two psychology professors concluded that it has to do with your age.

According to the study, a younger person will see the younger woman first, while older people will see the older woman first. The study included 393 participants (242 males, 141 females) from ages 18 to 68, with a median age of 32. They were shown the image for half a second, and then were asked the gender and age of the person that they saw.

By the way, I saw the younger woman first.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I saw the young woman first, but since this is one of those images that everyone's seen a million times, don't we just revert back to whatever we first saw the first time we encountered it? For most everyone that would be when they're young. :shrug:

Or am I the only one who's seen this a million times?

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
I call BS.

I'm old as dirt and all I can see is the young woman.

But, according to my wife, I am the world's oldest living teenager, so perhaps that's an explanation?

WarrenC

Michael Peterson status
Nov 30, 2008
young...
had to click the link and see the red arrow describing how to see the older woman to even see her

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I’ve always seen the young woman first. IMO there is probably a bias towards seeing the young woman first by virtue of the fact that we (as in western cultures) read from left to right, top to bottom. Therefore since the young woman’s face and features are further towards the left and top, most will see that first.
Just my theory, don’t tase me gramps :beer:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
grapedrink said:
I’ve always seen the young woman first. IMO there is probably a bias towards seeing the young woman first by virtue of the fact that we (as in western cultures) read from left to right, top to bottom. Therefore since the young woman’s face and features are further towards the left and top, most will see that first.
Just my theory, don’t tase me gramps :beer:
Good point. The young woman also looks more like an actual person vs the more cartoonish old woman.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I saw the young one.

But let's be honest, we can see 2 different things:

* A rather realistic drawing of a young woman.

* A cartoonish drawing of what could be the old lady version of Snow White's Evil Queen.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
sd_101 said:
I’ve always seen the older woman first. Even when I first saw this in grade school. Maybe it’s a result of catholic schooling and bitter man hating nuns for teachers.

Even hot women immediately have me pondering what kind of bitter old wench they may become.
Look to her mother. That’s her future, and your future if you marry her :drowning: