Are the feds about to roll tanks on Portlandia?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
If that's what terrorizing protestors looks like, then the pussification of America is nearly complete.

There have been nightly protests in Portland for nearly two months. Some stay peaceful and some don't. You can go through the county Sheriff's twitter account for an overview, he sounds like a fairminded guy in a difficult spot

But the federal building there have been a nexus for the protests and those haven't always stayed peaceful. Trump has gotten sick of the not peaceful part:

"Department of Homeland Security officers were sent to Portland after the president issued an executive order in late June protecting statues from protesters.

Since arriving just before July 4, the officers from Customs and Border Protection’s elite BORTAC unit and the U.S. Marshals Special Operations Group have played an aggressive role protecting the Mark O. Hatfield federal courthouse from vandalism and assisting the Portland Police Bureau in clearing protesters from city streets."

Agree that having people detained and taken away in unmarked cars is creepy looking. It sounds like the protestors are being treating in accordance with our rights so that is good, but the local law enforcement folks don't sound happy about the way the feds are acting

At some point the local law enforcement are going to have to restore order to the streets. It sounds like they have been attempting to be collaborative with protestors which is good, but if public places and federal buildings are getting trashed regularly then at some point the local police should solve the problem, especially if they don't want the feds doing so - as is their right when it comes to federal property.

Reactions: Kento

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If people are getting arrested without committing a crime then that's an unlawful arrest.

If people are committing or have committed a crime then arresting them is not unlawful or authoritarian.

I think if people are assaulting federal workers at federal facilities or are vandalizing federal property or impeding the operations of federal agencies or are violating other federal laws then they should probably stop doing that.

Federal courts, federal sentencing, federal incarceration.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Isn’t this the type of sh!t that Libertarians and Republicans fear, and rightly so?

People from every wavelength on the political spectrum should be very angry about this.
Yes. As the last real Republican, let me say that yes, this Facist dictatorship is exactly what we feared. The loss of civil liberties. This is also why we wanted a well armed militia to insure the welfare of a free people.

No true Republican will support tRump in the Fall.

• Haha
Reactions: redrider

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So they are arresting people for damaging federal property.
Yep. They attacked a federal courthouse and tried to hit a federal cop over the head with a hammer as well as rioted for 50 days.

This whole thing is a media campaign in favor of Antifa. We're being nudged to believe Trump has organized a tyrannical military campaign against "peaceful protestors" in Portland when he didn't do anything to the same people in Seattle.

Most of the Federal bureaucracy runs completely on its own as it wants regardless of who is in power. It's like most late-empire bureaucracies.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Antifa or whatever anarchist groups du jour you want to call them have been causing chaos since George Floyd, and the lib media has largely ignored it. The police have had a tough time containing them. Now, after almost 2 months, the Feds are rolling in to stop them. Shocker!

Also, that video of a couple "Feds" kidgloving that Antifa woman into a minivan? LOLOLOLOL Ok. Not sure what the angle is on staging a fake video like that or who gains what, but seems fake AF

Reactions: redrider

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Should laws be enforced or not?
Yes, the rule of law.

I've no problem with arresting rioters, and prosecuting them.

That isn't what these posts are saying.

Instead, they are reporting shooting peaceful protesters in the head. Arresting and holding without charge. The loss of liberty without due process, or the ability to post bail. You remember, that whole Constitution thing

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Newsom set up “strike teams” to make sure people don’t try to make a living.

You guys are all cool with that right?

Most of the businesses are "damned if they do, damned if they don't" now. If they stay closed, they go out of business since hte PPP is expiring. If they open, they might get fined. Hey, might that help Newsome make up his $56 billion dollar budget shortfall out of a budget of $200 billion? It might! Looks like an old-fashioned shake-down.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
if it's fake it's fake. There was a (fake?) kidnapping in san diego like that six weeks ago.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Yes. As the last real Republican, let me say that yes, this Facist dictatorship is exactly what we feared. The loss of civil liberties. This is also why we wanted a well armed militia to insure the welfare of a free people.

No true Republican will support tRump in the Fall.
What civil liberties do you see being lost? Are you talking about in Portland or elsewhere?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I remember there was a question if trump could get law enforcement and the military to turn on its own people.
I'm looking for evidence that these enforcers are actual police, and not federal troupes, active within our own borders. I think the Constitution says something about that.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Yes, the rule of law.

Instead, they are reporting shooting peaceful protesters in the head. Arresting and holding without charge. The loss of liberty without due process, or the ability to post bail. You remember, that whole Constitution thing
You're right. That isn't what these posts are saying.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
If that's what terrorizing protestors looks like, then the pussification of America is nearly complete.

There have been nightly protests in Portland for nearly two months. Some stay peaceful and some don't. You can go through the county Sheriff's twitter account for an overview, he sounds like a fairminded guy in a difficult spot

But the federal building there have been a nexus for the protests and those haven't always stayed peaceful. Trump has gotten sick of the not peaceful part:

"Department of Homeland Security officers were sent to Portland after the president issued an executive order in late June protecting statues from protesters.

Since arriving just before July 4, the officers from Customs and Border Protection’s elite BORTAC unit and the U.S. Marshals Special Operations Group have played an aggressive role protecting the Mark O. Hatfield federal courthouse from vandalism and assisting the Portland Police Bureau in clearing protesters from city streets."

Agree that having people detained and taken away in unmarked cars is creepy looking. It sounds like the protestors are being treating in accordance with our rights so that is good, but the local law enforcement folks don't sound happy about the way the feds are acting

At some point the local law enforcement are going to have to restore order to the streets. It sounds like they have been attempting to be collaborative with protestors which is good, but if public places and federal buildings are getting trashed regularly then at some point the local police should solve the problem, especially if they don't want the feds doing so - as is their right when it comes to federal property.
Is this the long winded rational to ok secret police to arrest and detain people who politically protest?
For graffiti-

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I'm looking for evidence that these enforcers are actual police, and not federal troupes, active within our own borders. I think the Constitution says something about that.
from my post above:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Yes, the rule of law.

I haven't seen any credible reporting that backs up your claims, got any links for any of the bolded parts?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
What civil liberties do you see being lost? Are you talking about in Portland or elsewhere?
Arresting mass peaceful protesters, excersizing their Constitutional right to petition their government. Arresting looters and vandals is one thing. Assaulting a photographer with a press pass, or shooting someone holding a sign is another.

We have seen the videos. There is no denying.

Reactions: hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Yes, the rule of law.

I've said this all along. But it has to be for just cause, it has to be done according to the constitution, and it has to be done by the book. No sending in your brown-shirts and throwing people into unmarked vehicles.

sh!t, if you think it's really necessary......send in the national guard. Things usually cool down when they show up. And they're identifiable and there's accountability and the ability to identify who's doing what and for what purpose.

It says quite a bit about that. And, if we start deploying troops, or just groups of thugs, to start rounding people up......where does that leave us?

Weren't people all freaked out a few years ago about Obama rolling tanks in Texas?