Anyone surfing the Lost RNF redux?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Chris Gallagher and Glenn Minami are around $550+

I'm glad they're all charging more, it's a lot of work to shape boards. If I'm paying that much though, I want an XTR for added durability but PU feel.

You could argue Firewire (and Pyzel) brought the prices up locally here.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm all for people charging whatever they want, but $700+ for a clear PU thruster is too much for me.

No disrespect to any of those guys, they are talented craftsman who have been making boards at the pinnacle of performance for years/decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just got a clear PU five fin groveler from a local shaper. I can't remember the last time I had a custom PU. It feels great and the design is awesome, but after 5 sessions the board is pretty beat up compared to my XTR's that I've had for years. The rear deck is golf balled and the bottom has numerous dents and the rails have a couple spider cracks (I landed on my board a few times lol). Front foot deck looks ok, but has about 10 small dents. One of the fins boxes has a huge scratch from pulling an FCS2 fin out of it (my fault). I forgot how delicate these things are.

Reactions: Aruka

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Had a good rnf3 that I liked. Didn’t gravel that well. More like a big mush wave gravel bOar. Loose n fast Wundt mind another. Gonna order new fling instead. Too bad they don’t do xtr

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu

Ok I’ll bite.

The Tokoro Lemonade. Uncle Barney is the guy that used to do ding repairs at the Tokoro factory. Barns is 60 I think but in pretty good shape. Wade tries to make Barns user friendly boards. Barney being Barney and pretty much family has no filter when giving feedback on those boards. So Wade made him an eps/epoxy wing pin, wide outline I think the first one even had a beak nose. 5’10 x 20 3/4 x 2 3/4. Volume around 37L. Barney told Wade the board was a lemon. Sand thrus, fins were set off.

Wade being Wade rode that board. First to see if there was anything wrong with it. Secondly to show Barns that he’s full of crap. Wade loved it. Rode it everywhere and for weeks. Eastside, small Pipe, Big Bowl AlaMo. Said it was the most user friendly board he designed. Word got back to Barney and Wade gave it back to him for his birthday I think. Making lemons into lemonade.

While this was going on I had been surfing the Eastside with Wade a lot. I asked him to make me a board that had less nose rocker but kick in the tail that could surf vert. He modified an MX and that became the MX-(minus). He had been trying to get me to ride the Lemonade but I kept passing. So we were surfing a good left and we traded boards. Wade said my board was pretty much a new design so I knew he wanted to try it. Summer was coming so I ordered a Lemonade. And from riding my MX- Wade adjusted the design on my next board to add more edge higher up the rail for better release on top turns.

My Lemonade was pu/pe, 5’9 x 20 3/4 x 2 3/4. Squash no wing. Board is super fun to ride. Easy to get in, goes fast quickly, makes sections from deep, gets on rail. But it doesn’t surf vertically as well as an hpsb and it kinda throws your shortboard surfing off. After summer I ended up giving it to my sister because I owed her money for some work pants she ordered for me. She’s smaller than me and said the boards hard for her to turn. I told her I used them all up. Haha.

If I got another Lemonade I would go with Wades design wing pin in eps/epoxy. It would make the wide board easier and quicker turning. It’s become one of the more popular boards Tokoro has made this summer. Super fun user friendly board. And yes probably over $600 for a clear three fin eps/epoxy.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
Looking at picking one up too. Anyone got recommendations for the PU or lost's carbon wrap tech?

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
maybe try eps, xtr whatever epoxy one.

swing w8 on pu/pe not the bes if u like turn qwik