Anyone make a decent foamie?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Was thinking of a foamie for high tide summer waves. Something that gets in early and you can basically ride into the sand. Also for the crash up derby that spots become on a 2-3' weekend summer swell.

Want something that can turn, unlike say a Wavestorm. Sub 7', rails that work like a real surfboard.

Anything around like this?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've never ridden one but...

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@waxurDyl used to have an infamous quiver of these JJFs but IIRC he had found an even superior softop. I don’t remember the brand

Crime make expensive ones. Doesn’t seem worth it to me over a regular boar. But YMMV.

best I’ve tried is almond R-series. Stiffer foam holds on rail better than most, but... it dents like a styrofoam cooler. No wax needed is also a plus for me.

edit: Almond has -$100 for blem boars:
6'4: https://almondsurfboards.com/products/second-quality-r-series-54-secret-menu?variant=39884794560575
5'4: https://almondsurfboards.com/products/second-quality-r-series-54-secret-menu-1

Last edited:
Reactions: ehiunno and JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Mick Fanning softboards look like they'd turn

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Mick Fanning softboards look like they'd turn

I did fondle those in a shop at NJ. The deck felt nice- didn't have that spongy boogieboar deck (gross). They definitely seemed more premium than the CatchSurf but I couldn't justify the price for a few days of 1-2' BB windswell.
If one of you had my family tied up in a basement and forced me buy a softie, I would go for MF or JJF.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
JS big barons have either hard bottoms like a tougher slick skin or a soft bottom eva and are light. Weight wise much like a normal board. Rails close to a normal big baron. Apparently they surf very well according to guys I know that have them. Deck would need to be waxed.
Hypto crypto softboards have textured decks that don’t need wax. Eva bottoms rather than a slick. The texture deck wraps around the rails so will rash your thighs if in board shorts. Eps and fibreglass inside so surf well but heavier than a PU since they have the soft wrap on the outside too.
JJF gremlin has a very strong hard bottom and a textured deck that doesn’t need wax. Rails are sanded so don’t rash your thighs. Heavier than PU but paddle great and feel more responsive to surf than the HS. Again eps and fibreglass inside.
The MF boards are heavier than the JS, HS and JJF boards and have a cheaper feeling slick bottom, far chunkier rails and need to be waxed.
After my hernia op I had a HS Hypto and then snagged a cheap used JJF Gremlin to try out of curiosity. The soft decks were a lot more comfortable to paddle on. The response of the Hypto and Gremlin felt delayed compared to normal boards so have to adjust one’s timing for that but surprising how well they both turned. I’d say the JS would also turn well due to its rails and lighter weight.

Reactions: Havoc

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah I actually nixed the idea and ordered one of the closeout Firewire Outliers.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I ordered the weird 7'0, 2 +1 outlier. Seems like the antidote to east coast summer.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I went with the FCS 2 Carver sidebites and a 7.5 Christensen center fin (also FCS 2). Copied the setup from Trip Foreman's review. He cautioned about going too big with the center fin.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
I've found you can run larger centres in it as long as you use a more upright template, especially in larger waves not just grovel waves. Then just adjust the positioning forward or aft in the box to find the sweet spot for drive and turnability and hold.
Not running a larger centre is the only point in Trip's review I don't agree with. He's taken the other guys advice and so doubt he tried a larger centre himself. He's close to my weight so of course depends upon your weight as to what size fin you will find suits you but the 7'er has a very wide tail and the shorter the fin the more slippery it will feel when you bank it onto a rail in a turn.
I've ridden my 7'er in everything from ankle slappers right up to 6' cyclone point waves (flatter faced point) with a bunch of different fins over a 2 year period.
So be open to trying different centres and have fun exploring the wave range it works in.

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Good to know. I got it primarily as a groveler and it sounded like that was how Trip was using it as well so I figured his fin advice would work for me although I'm smaller and lighter than he is. We're also surfing similar waves, small, east coast beach break. I don't anticipate using it in larger surf as I've got other boards for that, but will keep that in mind if I do. The carver side bites are on the larger side so it seemed like that's a good combo with a smaller center fin.

You use those strange looking side bites with a larger center right?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Good to know. I got it primarily as a groveler and it sounded like that was how Trip was using it as well so I figured his fin advice would work for me although I'm smaller and lighter than he is. We're also surfing similar waves, small, east coast beach break. I don't anticipate using it in larger surf as I've got other boards for that, but will keep that in mind if I do. The carver side bites are on the larger side so it seemed like that's a good combo with a smaller center fin.

You use those strange looking side bites with a larger center right?
Yep. 8” FCS Clique or a 9” Alkali hull centre with the Hanalei sides. JaM71 who’s lighter than me will also vouch for how good the Hanaleis are. There's a lot going on with the inside foil and flip in the upper arms of the fin so they do really feel lively. IMG_1068.jpegIMG_0516.jpeg

Last edited:

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
I use the haneleia sides with an 8" flying diamonds centre fin in my 7-oh outlier. It's a fun board, good grovellor for the more mature gentleman than doesn't want to ride a longboard

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
That's a very generous way of putting it. The waves we get don't really lend themselves to longboards very often (despite the fact that everyone does use them) . I have a nice 9'4 but I find our waves a little too quick for it. Was thinking the Outlier is better suited with less rail line. Those Haneleia sides look crazy but if they work, they work.