Anyone Into Wingsuit Flying?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
when I was a youth I had wicked bad anxiety that someone was gonna dose me with angel dust, and I was gonna think I could fly and kill myself jumping off the roof of the gymnasium at school trying to fly because the dust made me think I could.
Thanks, White Shadow.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Norm'

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I have had the glider pilot deathwish for a long time.

Maybe someday.

I can only imagine how weird the silence must be.

There's one in Warner Springs that offers ride alongs:

I'm thinking about going for my birthday.
Gliders aren't necessarily quiet. Pretty noisy actually. Imagine going 80 mph inside a thin fiberglass and plexiglass shell.

I once did an acrobatic flight. The pilot did every trick in the book except the crazy tail first stuff. The only moment of silence was the the moment of stall doing "Hammerheads." The hammerheads were also my favorite maneuver. The pilot did a series of them. It was like being in some insane half pipe. One second you're looking at the sky, the next you're looking straight down at the ground. Pulling out of the dives my vision would go to a pinpoint because of the G's. I was almost blacking out.

I couldn't find a good video. This in a simulation but gives you the idea.

I did my flight outside Tucson.

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Why don't you just take fixed wing flying lessons, @r32? Literally every other form of flying is safer than wingsuit. You WILL die flying wingsuit.
Flying big in my fam. Both grandpas WWII pilots (B29 pilot in South Pacific, and other was glider pilot in Euro theatre). Both flew when they got out of military (cropdusting and private). Dad and uncle flew too.

Been lucky enough to fly in multiple P51s, B25s, B17s, a B24, T6s, a T28, a bunch of usual planes from Cessna to Beachcraft, turboprops, biplanes and aerobatic. Also lucky enough to have flown with a jet aerobatic team. Also been skydiving and it's quite fun. Wingsuits seem like next logical thing to try, or if I can get my hands on a rocket suit like those Red Bull flyers. That would be sick. :unsure: :computer:

roll-formation-KQ5T7378_zpsc2955866.jpg

Reactions: Chocki and One-Off

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Flying big in my fam. Both grandpas WWII pilots (B29 pilot in South Pacific, and other was glider pilot in Euro theatre). Both flew when they got out of military (cropdusting and private). Dad and uncle flew too.

Been lucky enough to fly in multiple P51s, B25s, B17s, a B24, T6s, a T28, a bunch of usual planes from Cessna to Beachcraft, turboprops, biplanes and aerobatic. Also lucky enough to have flown with a jet aerobatic team. Also been skydiving and it's quite fun. Wingsuits seem like next logical thing to try, or if I can get my hands on a rocket suit like those Red Bull flyers. That would be sick. :unsure: :computer:

View attachment 155568
Did you get a private pilot's license?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Flying big in my fam. Both grandpas WWII pilots Wingsuits seem like next logical thing to try
Unless you’re just gonna squirrel out a plane and glide forever, get into paragliding bro. Way less chance of dying imo bc of how much more control you have. It took me a little googling and more than one attempt to find this one again but since your so stocked on aeronautical sh!t

Contrast that with this

I thought long and hard about paragliding and I’m wayyy too lazy and irresponsible to even consider it. If I didn’t skip straight to a speedwing and auger immediately/eventually I’d probably get sucked up into a thunderstorm gliding. I still can’t get over how fucking rad proximity terrain flying an actual wing looks. Has to be the best drug ever. This line gets flown a bunch by squirrels and I thought it was as gnarly as it gets until I saw a speed wing do it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: r32

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
oh hell no. this girls dad is a private pilot for major rock bands. she's in his footsteps. she's now 25 and an aviator. she can fly small jets. at this point in time she had just gotten her gliders license. i was her first passenger.
Ahhh...she can log glider time towards her airline transport rating. Thank you for your service.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The mini paraglider is a death sentence. The crew doing that stuff is the most retarded ever. Read through a Facebook group on the topic and it started off with one guy getting smoked while trying to land on skis in the snow. Then further down there was a question about when the next "advanced manouver seminar" was being held. The same guy had a GoPro video of his red sneakers kicking away branches and tree tops because he spent his height doing loops and he got caught short making it to the landing site. Then there was a fundraiser for one of them who got wrecked big time and they wanted to get some flowers for the funeral :roflmao:

My favorite is still this guy. A pioneer in irresponsible flying. Not dead yet, I found him out on FB!

• Haha
Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
"1 0 9 on your six! Pull up Danny! Pull up!"

B17 left waist gunner position. Flight for magazine shoot, last year.

1685894295385.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
"1 0 9 on your six! Pull up Danny! Pull up!"

B17 left waist gunner position. Flight for magazine shoot, last year.

View attachment 155584
In an airplane does twelve mean straight above you or straight in front of you? Either way, depending on the wasit gunner for help with a bogey in that position sounds like a losing proposition.

Are there such thing as spherical coordinates used when flying?

ps love the sound of old radial engine, propeller planes. Nostalgic. :jamon:

Reactions: keenfish

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
This just happened in Shelter Cove, where I fly a lot...thanks to the very capable Shelter Cove Fire Dept these people lived.

• Wow
Reactions: hammies