Any erbb plumbers/handyman available in San Diego?

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Seeking to hire someone for minor plumbing repairs in my new condo. Also any skills with electrical work for lighting and flooring would be a plus as I need to make some renovations. Send me a PM if so or if you could refer someone. Cheers!

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Where I live, you need to use licensed plumbers and electricians for work done in a condo. If you use someone unlicensed, you will be target #1 for the lawsuits and even criminal charges if there is any type of incident even remotely involving the system you had worked on. :bricks:

SmackDaddy

Duke status
Feb 12, 2002
San Diego, CA
el_calvo said:
Where I live, you need to use licensed plumbers and electricians for work done in a condo. If you use someone unlicensed, you will be target #1 for the lawsuits and even criminal charges if there is any type of incident even remotely involving the system you had worked on. :bricks:
That's what I was thinking. Told him to double check with the HOA

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
el_calvo said:
I'm a handyman but do not have an electrician's license. If you hire an unlicensed electrician you are an irresponsible fool. Same goes for those of you who think it's OK to DIY major electrical work on your dwelling. Peace of mind that your kid (or the next owner's kid) won't die in a fire from the shoddy work you did is invaluable. FYI a lot of home inspectors miss downright dangerous electrical work.

Fuller

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
I do most of the work on my house myself. If necessary I have an electrician buddy who will review what I need to do, I do the grunt work and he checks it before the walls are closed up. Same with plumbing.

I have to confess I was a bit flummoxed the time that hot water was coming out of the cold water taps. I mean, how the fvck can that even happen? I was ready to call in the cavalry but I figured it out...

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Simple stuff you can do yourself.

Do you think Daniel Boone worried about permits when he was wiring up his log cabin?

Life is inherently risky.

Just do a better job than the pros. And let it ride.

But I don't know how, you say.

It's not brain surgery.

The pros got you beat when it comes to efficiency but you should still be able to be effective if you are not a total retard.

Youtube is your friend.

I just learned how to play "On the Way Home" on guitar thanks to the youtube.

underdog

Michael Peterson status
Jan 7, 2005
MAINEAGEBITCHES!
Autoprax said:
Simple stuff you can do yourself.

Do you think Daniel Boone worried about permits when he was wiring up his log cabin?

Life is inherently risky.

Just do a better job than the pros. And let it ride.

But I don't know how, you say.

It's not brain surgery.

The pros got you beat when it comes to efficiency but you should still be able to be effective if you are not a total retard.

Youtube is your friend.

I just learned how to play "On the Way Home" on guitar thanks to the youtube.
Could be recipe for lawsuit especially when the brown trouts start swimming to the neighbors pond.
Maybe watch judge judy for that one huh?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
i'm pretty sure autoprax ain't gonna be bothered by no judge judy

i'm wondering how little a plumbing job needs to be for it to not be done by a licensed plummer.
like, the drain trap under my sink corroded, and i needed a new one. they don't make that one any more, so i needed 2 pieces, and had to cut them and stuff
is that something you'all are saying needs a licensed plumber?
or something that simple's ok
just wondering
cowabunga
rg

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
License required for this?

A. Replace faucet in garage
B. washer hookups ( faucet replace)
C. Replace water supply system
D. Replace water heater
E. fix light in kitchen
f. fix drain leak in kitchen
g. slow drain in bathroom
h. Sand and refinish wood floor in kitchen
I. remove carpet , tack strip base boards and install new floating wood/tile floor
j. install new base board/crown moulding
k. Install ceiling fan (living room)

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
GeoPac said:

D. Replace water heater
E. fix light in kitchen
I. remove carpet , tack strip base boards and install new floating wood/tile floor
I have done building maintenance for 14 years and would say if your mechanically inclined and have the basic tools you can do any of these but the ones I would call a plumber would be grease, (which by the way always dispose of grease and oils in garbage and not sink), tampon, or other fabric clog. These things all require expensive snakes to unclog the drain and best left to experts unless you can get the last two before they go down line to far with a turd hurder like this :rockin:

Also under ground leaks where the pipe is not exposed but if you don't mind getting dirty and hard work you could fix the leak specially if the pipe is pvc pretty easy. All DIY fixes always remember to be prepared for the worse and buy all materials that could go wrong first time and return if you need to :cheers:

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Each state and even town has different rules for what requires a permit and/or license. I am a licensed general contractor and I cannot legally do every item on the list.
My state allows me to perform electrical work on my own property but I cannot legally replace a faucet.
I have built several houses for myself and done the complete electrical installation on them, but the town I live in now would not allow me to do the electrical on the house I just built. :socrazy:

Especially in a condo, just be aware that if you do work yourself without the legally required license, you will lose in court if something goes wrong. If you install a faucet in your condo and you later have a leak that causes damage to the unit below, your insurance company could also refuse to pay the claim.
As a famous philosopher once said: "A mans got to know his own limitations."

GeoPac said:

D. Replace water heater
E. fix light in kitchen

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Everything El Cavlo said is right on.

At least in California, a homeowner can build the entire house without a contractor. HOA rules are a different / civil not legal matter.

If you are doing anything electric or supply side plumbing related (other than the smallest thing like replacing a faucet), getting a permit is a really good idea. Small permits are really cheap, and you get the city inspector to come out and review the work of that shady contractor.

A contractor's license is really easy to get for any competent tradesman. If that "handyman" doesn't have a license, either he is a crook who lost it for reason, or is a dope who needs to find another line of work.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yeah don't fvck with HOA's. Our neighbor tried to go after us for a water leak that ended up being hers. What a nightmare. Fvck HOA's and Condos. Never again.