Any decent soft boards that aren't soft tops? Almond?

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Has anyone seen an Almond board in person?

I want to get a soft board for my niece and nephew to learn on, they're afraid of a regular board, and seeing bloody pictures of a fin cut that I got recently hasn't helped.

That said, I rented a few soft tops recently had hated them. They're (obviously) heavy to begin with and seem like they'll inevitably (and quickly) get torn up, waterlogged, and end up in a trash pile too quickly.

Are there any good alternatives? Anyone seen an Almond board in person? How are they, and how does the weight compare (I'm thinking of the 8' Almond) to a soft top?

Any other recommendations?

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
My 9 yr old has a almond soft top. 5’4” Worked perfect to teach him. It helped him learn as the board is wide and stable so easy to stand for a kid. plus the shorter size helps him handle it around the white wash. The bigger softies will take a kid out trying to jump over or through the dribblers that look huge to them. He started on it a few years ago on it and that is his only board now. He’s not super into it and is not natural in the water as his sister who graduated to a HPSB by 9. so this board lets him have fun when he wants.

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to hear that the Almond construction was lighter than the soft tops, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone have experience with fiberglass core soft tops, like these?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Anyone remember those Catch Surf Y-Twins and Y Quads? I had the twin, kinda wish I still had it. Was pretty fun, a littler like a Pendarvis modified board.

The Almonds look OK, seen a few up close but never rode one. Crime boards look OK too but too expensive. waxduryl needs to opine on this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
I guess it was always going to be a wavestorm. Technically a Jerry Lopez as that’s what they sell at Costco these days but seems identical. Niece not into it and would rather just swim and play in the waves, but all of a sudden the nephew is a surf addict and gettin’ after it. And the niece not wanting to surf leaves a wavestorm open for auntie or uncle to surf with the boy. Good times on a soft top!

Attachments

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Going to give this Crime 7' CJ Nelson stubby a run and see how it goes. I've ridden the thunderbolt construction 7' 2+1 Outlier quite a bit and had a swap in the water ride on the 7'6" so will be interesting to see how this goes.
20221014_101803.jpg
Have a lipoma at the bottom of my ribs which makes paddling pretty uncomfortable with any boards with a roll/dome in the20221014_101811.jpg deck but hopefully the no wax soft deck should feel all right.
Rails aren't your typical soft board loaves of bread.

Attachments

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
depending on what size board you're looking for the JJF Astrofish, Gremlin, or Log could be good alternatives. I think they're made of a glassed EPS blank with soft EVA foam on the deck

Sep 26, 2022
Going to give this Crime 7' CJ Nelson stubby a run and see how it goes. I've ridden the thunderbolt construction 7' 2+1 Outlier quite a bit and had a swap in the water ride on the 7'6" so will be interesting to see how this goes.
View attachment 139894
Have a lipoma at the bottom of my ribs which makes paddling pretty uncomfortable with any boards with a roll/dome in theView attachment 139896 deck but hopefully the no wax soft deck should feel all right.
Rails aren't your typical soft board loaves of bread.
How did you like your 7' Outlier? (Sorry for thread derail LOL)

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
I ended up picking up one of these South Bay Board Co Huevos recently.

My BiL bought two Costco softops and my neice isn't really surfing, so that leaves 2 boards for me, my wife, and nephew to play with. We wanted a third soft board for surfing around the kids, and my wife also wanted something to ride as a longboard substitute on really small days.

"We" ended up getting this thing for about $240, shipped - I think the sale is still going on. In theory it was an anniversary present for of us. It's got a fiberglass bottom with some decent bottom contours and has a wooden stringer. From the little that I've been on it, it seems to surf pretty well. Also - and to my surprise - it works great without wax.

That said, the first time my wife paddled out on that thing she had a blast, then afterword looked me dead in the eye and said "I've been thinking about it and I realized this board is really for me"

The one thing I do wonder about is longevity, seems to me that one of the biggest bummers about soft tops is that they degrade so quickly and end up in the garbage way too soon.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The points of the Sunshine and Gold coasts have been pumping for the last few days and late this afternoon I took this Hayden shapes Hypto Kyrpto 6'4" out with Alkali twin fins and a trailer. 4' plus on the sets and cross-shore but faces were clean. Only 10 or so out and the board went great. Paddling it is a breeze and as soon as you're on a wave I completely forget I'm riding a softie. No weirdness with flex or bogging rails like the other softies. I picked up a JJF gremlin 6'6" at another surf shop and it felt heavier than the Hypto which feels about the same weight as a poly for its size. Don't need to use wax at all. A good recommendation is that Uri hated it (slightly different construction which is a bit pricier)...meanwhile if you watch chubby Craig's review of the Hypto (which is the same construction as mine) and you didn't know he was riding a softie you probably wouldn't pick it as one. The Crime softie pictured further up lasted one surf. Didn't paddle all that well and felt heavier so paddling was a chore for the shoulders. With the Hypto ride the same size as you would in the FF model. But hey...I'm old. For a tough, no fooks given board that's literally 1/2 the price of a FF Hypto it's a steal.IMG_0108.JPG