2. use paper plates or aluminum foil
3. eat out of pan, can, or straight from pizza box
4. do drugs on couch

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Leave the door cracked open between loads.
That's what I have to do for my f'n washing machine. I hate front loaders! The mildew is hard to eliminate, given the design. I use white vinegar with each load (it's a terrific softener) and keep the door open with a bungee cord when not in use. Clothes never smell, but the machine does. I'll run bleach through now and then, and clean the nooks and crannies, but it doesn't go away. Bring back the old water-guzzling top loaders with agitators!

Reactions: scdad

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
We had some real stank smells from ours for a while...replaced the drain line and no more stank...like Ogro's style...

Reactions: Mr Doof

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
After all the cleaning, still smelly bowls and glasses.

I have a plumber coming out tomorrow morning.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The smell is most likely from endsongas that is venting back up from the drain in both the dishwashers and your washing machine Abalone. The cause could be lack of a high point vent in the drain line or the vent isn’t functioning properly due to an obstruction.

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It's not the appliance, it's the detergent.

When you pay for the machine, you are paying for the quiet operation, and the durability. But it's actually the lye and other chemicals in the detergent that breaks down the food.

Also don't leave the food on so long that it gets hard and crusty, ya slob
this is my experience as well

I got a shitty portable number I can plug in to the sink faucet to run

using the correct detergent (pods) makes all the difference; the manufacturer made
reccos in the owners manual that I ignored at my own expense

I have to actually open the door and drop the detergent pod in manually at the right
time because the auto-feed mechanism is borked...but since I made those two
changes it works a treat.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Plumber came today and did a deep clean on the drain. It was foul but he said it should not be causing the smell. I have always cleaned the filter but have never taken the racks and silverware holder out and cleaned them. And I have not cleaned down in the sump. Damn maybe never. I gave all that a good scrub last night and got the affresh DW cleaner. Used 2 doses as suggested for initial use. When plumber came today the DW smelled fine. Him cleaning the drain line stopped me from tripping and worrying. I know I have to clean the inside better and more frequently.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
We had a new clothes washer that came with the house that had the same problem, unidentified funk. Wifey finally bought a new one, funk gone.
New KItchenAid dishwasher has done a great job for about 6 years. Had a Bosch in previous house which was $$$ but like the Terminator, solid.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
We had a new clothes washer that came with the house that had the same problem, unidentified funk. Wifey finally bought a new one, funk gone.
New KItchenAid dishwasher has done a great job for about 6 years. Had a Bosch in previous house which was $$$ but like the Terminator, solid.
If you have ever taken apart a front load washing machine to change the bearing (i have) you would me amazed how much slime is growing between the basket and the drum.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Hullman

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 29, 2005
We have a front loader clothes washer and I use a dust hand mit to dry the gasket after every round of wash (not every load). So easy to keep clean with the mit. Two years old and gasket look brand new. Takes about 90 seconds...

Had two bosch dishwashers, computer board went out on first after about 4 years. Second one is still going great after 3 years. Just rinse dishes before loading and clean out the filters every month or so. Using pods for soap is mandatory...

Reactions: rowjimmytour

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002
We had problems with our dishwasher (expensive Jenn Air) when we moved in. Didn't get glasses clean...left a film...cloudy. We had one of those house warranties..so we had it replaced with an expensive Whirlpool. Same problem. Someone told us about an additive called Lemi shine. Bought some at Walmart. Huge difference. Now I just buy Citric Acid in bulk and put it in the main dispenser. Works well.

Reactions: laidback

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
my Bosch DW works fine, came with the house when we bought and moved in 5 years ago...It does get a little funky smell but only if we have left unwashed dishes in there for a couple of days (only 2 of us, so it rarely runs every day) but what IS driving me FUKKING BANANNAS is my Navien tank-less on demand system (heat and hot water). It too came with the house, we've been here over 5 years now. A few times a year it just decides it doesn't want to maintain pressure, good old "Error Message 2" pops up, no hot water, and $150 service call for my guy to recharge it. He's a surf buddy so he gives me 25% off, but still...It happened a couple of weeks ago, and the second re-booot did the trick and it re-pressurized by itself. a simple unplug and reboot will work, and she fires back up to full pressure. This time (meaning right this second) multiple re-boots have not worked, and yup, service guy will try to squeeze us in at the end of the day...2 years ago it was bad enough that they actually had to track down some leaks in the lines spreading out to all the baseboards around the house- that wasn't cheap. But at least that was a true "repair job" that the guys spent most of a full day repairing, and i was told that yes, unfortunately, Naviens are great for space saving and other logistical benefits, but it's like keeping a car engine in good repair, except that car engine is being turned on and off all day long (for hot water) and all day and night long during the winter. they take a lot of abuse, and need a lot of TLC. but with the tiny little utility closet, i don't even know if we have SPACE to put in a more traditional heater tank.

Last edited: