Angry Father Confronts Elizabeth Warren on Her College Debt Forgiveness Plan

Bearnie Slanders

OTF status
Jul 14, 2017
During the height of the 2008 fiscal crisis, Waters helped arrange a meeting between the Treasury Department and top executives of a bank where her husband was a shareholder. Using her post on the House Financial Committee as leverage, she called Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson personally, asking him to meet with minority-owned banks.

When Treasury followed through, there was only one financial institution present: OneUnited. Had that bank gone under, the New York Times reported, Waters' husband would've lost as much as $350,000. Luckily for the Waters family, OneUnited received a cool $12 million in bailout funds.

After three years of special investigation, the ethics committee eventually ruled that Waters didn't technically break any rules. But that ruling came after unearthing her more than questionable family business practices, like making her grandson, Mikael Moore, her chief of staff

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
"My daughter's getting out of school, I saved all my money, she doesn't have any student loans," the man asked Warren in the video. "Am I going to get my money back?"
"Of course not," responded the senator.
"So, you're going to pay for people who didn't save any money and those of us that did the right thing get screwed," said the man.
Warren disputed the man's assertion that he'd be "screwed" under her plan. The man insisted that he would be because his friend had spent money in different ways.
"Of course we did. My buddy had fun, bought a car, went on vacation," the man protested. "I saved my money. He made more than I did, but I worked a double shift...
This guy should cheer up....
Now his taxes from working double shifts will help repay his buddies debt
What's the problem?

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot and GWS_2

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It really needs to start with an anal exam of the colleges and universities. Why does it cost $40-$65K a year per student to get 12 to 18 hours per week of classroom instruction? Has their been an accounting of donations and endowments?

By my math the typical student at a decent college is paying between $70 and $105 an hour for classroom instruction much of which is wasted on bullshit general education classes that have no real bearing on the student's ultimate career goal. Does that seem reasonable? For $70 an hour each student should have their own private instructor on a 1 to 1 basis for every class.

To me, the whole college system needs to be scrapped. New competition needs to take over the market that leverages modern computerized remote learning and eliminating the sprawling campus model. College needs to be little more than remote learning for most majors and for a high percentage of classes. The obvious exceptions would be majors that require labs and hands on but even still the days of needing the immense college campus are over. The market needs to catch up and put these colleges and universities out of business.

Reactions: Bearnie Slanders

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
She should just offer to pay people a set fee per Warren vote and be done with it. Whatever.

I can kind of see the Dad's point. I paid for a USC education. :eek:

And the cost of the USC education was chump change compared with what I had to pay to get the kid on the rowing team.

:cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Just did a quick google images search with the term "University Campus Map". You come up with page after page of maps of bloated college and university facilities. What a joke. Below is a map of a school I'd never even heard of before. Take a good look at this map and ask yourself, is this facility really necessary given the computer learning technology available today? Of the 5,000+ colleges and universities in the US easily half of the facilities like the one below should just be put out of business by on-line learning.

Bearnie Slanders

OTF status
Jul 14, 2017
It really needs to start with an anal exam of the colleges and universities. Why does it cost $40-$65K a year per student to get 12 to 18 hours per week of classroom instruction? Has their been an accounting of donations and endowments?

By my math the typical student at a decent college is paying between $70 and $105 an hour for classroom instruction much of which is wasted on bullshit general education classes that have no real bearing on the student's ultimate career goal. Does that seem reasonable? For $70 an hour each student should have their own private instructor on a 1 to 1 basis for every class.

To me, the whole college system needs to be scrapped. New competition needs to take over the market that leverages modern computerized remote learning and eliminating the sprawling campus model. College needs to be little more than remote learning for most majors and for a high percentage of classes. The obvious exceptions would be majors that require labs and hands on but even still the days of needing the immense college campus are over. The market needs to catch up and put these colleges and universities out of business.
federal student aid programs drive tuition increases

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
federal student aid programs drive tuition increases
Yep. I goofed off and took an extra semester to finish off college at a top 100 school in 1992. The cost for four and a half years living on campus was $42,000. My daughter has been accepted to the same school for next fall. The cost today is $47,000 PER YEAR.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I remember reading years ago that with technology the cost of a college education should plunge to pretty much free. The whole thing being mostly done on-line. The "experts" were predicting that "brick and mortar" colleges would be a thing of the past. You'll attend Amazon University in your parents basement. Which makes sense I suppose. But instead the cost of a college education has skyrocketed at a rate that far exceeds the rate of inflation. Me thinks our institutions of higher learning are gouging the sh!t out of the populace.

• Love
Reactions: GDaddy

Bearnie Slanders

OTF status
Jul 14, 2017
please don't fail to appreciate the value of the college experience

• Love

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I remember reading years ago that with technology the cost of a college education should plunge to pretty much free. The whole thing being mostly done on-line. The "experts" were predicting that "brick and mortar" colleges would be a thing of the past. You'll attend Amazon University in your parents basement. Which makes sense I suppose. But instead the cost of a college education has skyrocketed at a rate that far exceeds the rate of inflation. Me thinks our institutions of higher learning are gouging the sh!t out of the populace.
No, you learn better in proximity to the teacher and the other students.

Online learning is a scam.

Higher learning corruption stems from the bloated admins programs and the mindset that they are corporate managers, whose priority is to control labor costs.

It's really changed in the last 15 years.

I saw it all.

Reactions: Havoc and afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
please don't fail to appreciate the value of the college experience
Have you heard of this bias where you find stuff that confirms what you want to believe?

IT frees you up to do anything!

Just change your mind,

You can do anything!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The thing about warrens proposal is it will never fly.

There is a war on the rich but the rich are winning.

So have no fear.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Bearnie Slanders

OTF status
Jul 14, 2017
. . . There is a war on the rich but the rich are winning.
So have no fear.
Remember posts on erbb in 2009:

"I never would have voted for Obama if I knew MY taxes would go up! Taxes were only supposed to increase for the rich"

Congratulations! You're rich now!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014

Higher learning corruption stems from the bloated admins programs and the mindset that they are corporate managers, whose priority is to control labor costs.

I saw it all.
You'd be out of a job.....wouldn't you.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The so-called college experience is nothing more than an extended adolescence. They get to walk tall and LARP as adults on other people's money and without interacting with real people outside of school.

My kids (and I) started out in the CCs and went from there. No dorms involved.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019

I saw it all.
I can see how that might be true for some. As an adult I worked on a masters and took a few on-line classes due to the constraints of working/raising a family and simultaneously seeking to further my education. Some of the classes were night school/classroom situations. But I picked up a few on-line classes as well. It worked for me. Geographical proximity to the teacher/other students only seems relevant to me if you are a low motivation/short attention span/weak student. If you are a 21 year old pussy hound that wants the "college experience" while mom and dad foot the bill for your love shack, (as I once was) I can see where geographic proximity would be the thing. For me, as a motivated adult, "being there" was superfluous. The stop/start/pause/rewind buttons made things a lot easier.

The rate at which the costs have increased since we were undergrads really is obscene. Seriously. And IMO, undergrad degrees should be the 2020 grade 12 equivalent. Grades 13-16 as it were. As a taxpayer I would rather pay for that than say military aide to Saudi Arabia or some sh!t.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
It's a business

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I can see how that might be true for some. As an adult I worked on a masters and took a few on-line classes due to the constraints of working/raising a family and simultaneously seeking to further my education. Some of the classes were night school/classroom situations. But I picked up a few on-line classes as well. It worked for me. Geographical proximity to the teacher/other students only seems relevant to me if you are a low motivation/short attention span/weak student. If you are a 21 year old pussy hound that wants the "college experience" while mom and dad foot the bill for your love shack, (as I once was) I can see where geographic proximity would be the thing. For me, as a motivated adult, "being there" was superfluous. The stop/start/pause/rewind buttons made things a lot easier.

The rate at which the costs have increased since we were undergrads really is obscene. Seriously. And IMO, undergrad degrees should be the 2020 grade 12 equivalent. Grades 13-16 as it were. As a taxpayer I would rather pay for that than say military aide to Saudi Arabia or some sh!t.
Online learning is just a corespondence course with a fancy delivery system.

Yes, online learning can work for people with high self discipline.

These same people could go to the library and do the same thing.

It's a good way to get through college if resources are tight. The schools like because they are money makers for them.

Getting through college, while juggling other factors, and learning are two different things.

Being in the room with a good teacher can be transformative even for the autodidact. You can't get the neural priming online, which I think is SUPER important.

Most of my efforts are aimed at the nervous system at this point.

(Not, saying I'm a good teaching person).

:poop:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The costs of the online courses I've seen bear zero relationship to the costs of development and delivery of them by the provider. Those costs are what they are only because the market will bear them, and only then as a result of the deferred financing.

I've written online courses - albeit in short duration. There's nothing magic about it.