Anchor Brewing...DONE

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
When i was a teenager Anchor Steam was one of the beers my dumbass friends and I would get and pretend we knew something about beer (beyond the standard domestic beers and green bottles we usually had). LOL. I remember my GF my freshman year in college who was from SF thought it was cool that I was into it. Haven't had it in at least 15 or 20 years though. Bummer thay are closing but there are thousands of different kinds of beer out there competing for shelf space and they had a great run.

Reactions: grapedrink

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Damn I used to love Anchor Steam. It's been years since I've had one for no good reason. Sad to see them go and feel bad that I'm part of the problem. :beer:

Reactions: sirfun

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Not this time Skully.

On the closing of Anchor Brewing; “Its pretty frustrating to see their press release take the typical SF cop-out and blame it on "high production costs" to piggy back off of people thinking sf is in a state of decay. When in reality a big huge foreign business bought a local staple, tried to brute force it through their own business practice, failed almost immediately and now have to liquidate a 130 year old brand. Classic.” Dave Hahn Madrone Bartender. @panderer.dj

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
On the closing of Anchor Brewing; “Its pretty frustrating to see their press release take the typical SF cop-out and blame it on "high production costs" to piggy back off of people thinking sf is in a state of decay. When in reality a big huge foreign business bought a local staple, tried to brute force it through their own business practice, failed almost immediately and now have to liquidate a 130 year old brand. Classic.” Dave Hahn Madrone Bartender. @panderer.dj
Can't tell you many times I've seen this story. Is there ever a corporate acquisition that makes the original product better?

Anchor Steam was good - sad to see it go although have to confess hadn't had one in several years. Rare I would even see them come to think of it.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Anchor Steam was my daily driver, but I did start to notice these past couple years that it has been harder to find in local grocery stores. My friend said they got bought out by Sopporo years ago, and they never figured out how to market it to cash in on the hipster IPA california craze. It's not as a hoppy as other norcal hop bombs, but there is a smooth hoppyness to it that I will miss. Also, it's the perfect beer for making beer batter for fish and chips. The high rent/lease probably was a big factor. That part of town used to be super cheap and popular for old school punkers, but now with the UCSF expansion campus and new stadiums it's very chic hipster village vibe. I was at the Bottom of the Hill the other week to see Amber Asylum and we all were freaking out the anchor steam was still on tap there. Brought back memories of early 2000's doom metal heads getting drunk and stoned while listening to Neurosis and other tribes of neurot bands.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Can't tell you many times I've seen this story. Is there ever a corporate acquisition that makes the original product better?

Anchor Steam was good - sad to see it go although have to confess hadn't had one in several years. Rare I would even see them come to think of it.
Maybe it will be like Hostess Twinkies and Ding Dongs and there will be a run on the product that injects a little life into the company? I went to Trader Joe's today to get a last couple six packs. They didn't have any and the clerk said they don't always stock it. He wasn't aware they were going out of business.

The article did state a buyer could appear during the liquidation process.

We were just in SF and the Ghirardelli brand seems to be going strong and their product is still great even after being bought by Lindt.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Some of my favorite beers have been completely railroaded by acquisitions. Lagunitas Dogtown Ale was a perfectly balanced APA that actually had a higher ABA than the IPA but you would never know because it was so refreshing. Was a staff and local taproom favorite. Gone . .. Probably because it was too similar to the IPA. And most of their remaining lineup is now crap.

Eye of the Hawk by Mendocino Brewing Co was also a classic. 8% and aggressive malt. Got bought out by someone who squandered and mothballed the entire operation.

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Anchor was started by Fritz Maytag (Maytag appliances) because he liked beer and was not satisfied with what a commercially available at the time...
Certainly wasn't started by Fritz, Anchor Steam was started in the late 1800s. He bought it/resurected it and, later, sold out to Sapporo. Biggest f'n mistake:bricks:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
One of the early "craft" or whatever you want to call it beer bars was Spike's in SLO. Every year at Christmas some regulars would bring out library Anchor Christmas bottles, like from each of the past ten years. For years and years.

Sapporo's beer tastes like sour rice butt, sucks that they ruined an awesome brewery.

Reactions: RemyXO

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
When Newcastle first came to the US in the late 80's, I think, it was good. I think it was being imported from the UK, and brewed there too at the time. At some point they moved the production somewhere else and the taste changed/got worse. This was the rumor as far as I know.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - All about Newcastle here (click me).

Move to Federation Brewery, Gateshead[edit]
Despite investing £16.6 million in a new bottling plant at the Tyne Brewery in 1999,[10] Scottish and Newcastle announced its closure on 22 April 2004, in order to consolidate the brewing of beer and ale in the Federation Brewery site in Dunston, Gateshead, which was to pass to them with their £7.2m purchase of the Federation Brewery.[11] The purchase and consolidation at Dunston created the new brewing company, Newcastle Federation Breweries.[8]

The last production run of Brown Ale in Newcastle came off the Tyne Brewery line in May 2005.[8] Pre-production trial brews were conducted at Dunston to ensure no change occurred in its taste after the move.[8]

The Tyne Brewery site was bought by a consortium of Newcastle University, Newcastle City Council, and the regional development agency One NorthEast, as part of the wider Newcastle Science City project.[12] Demolition of the former brewery began on 8 March 2007.[13] The triggering of the controlled demolition of the former Barrack Road bottling plant opposite St James' Park was ceremonially performed by Sir Bobby Robson on 22 June 2008.[14]

Move to John Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster[edit]
Bottling of Newcastle Brown Ale moved to the John Smith's Brewery in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, in 2007.[15]

Heineken bought Scottish and Newcastle in a joint deal with Carlsberg in 2008.[16]

In 2010, Scottish and Newcastle closed the Dunston brewery, moving production of Brown Ale to the John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster.[17] The company cited the general fall in the market for beer, over-capacity in its plants in general, and the fact that the Dunston site was operating at just 60% capacity—despite the fact that sales of Newcastle Brown Ale had never been higher—as reasons for the closure.[17][3][18]

In 2015, the caramel colouring, which has been used since the beer was launched,[19][20] was removed for health reasons.[21] Instead, roasted malt was used to darken the beer.[21]

Move to Zoeterwoude Brewery, the Netherlands[edit]
In 2017, Heineken moved some production from the John Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, to the Zoeterwoude Brewery in the Netherlands. The company claimed this would allow for shorter order lead times and faster transportation to the U.S. and allow distributors to purchase by the pallet rather than the container.[22] In 2019, the company started making a different version in America and ceased importing Brown Ale from Europe. Newcastle Brown Ale is still brewed in Tadcaster, Yorkshire, for the UK and some EU markets, and also in the Netherlands for the export market.

Reactions: caelho