American Airlines v. Skiplagged

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I can’t wrap my mind around how it’s more profitable to set the system up this way.
Because people don't have a choice but pay whatever the airline is asking for a flight to a particular destination.

That is until people discovered skiplagging.

I recently hopped off the plane at the stop over and literally saved 50% on the ticket for the same destination.

They keep saying "they don't allow it", which makes me lol.
I love it when airlines get pissed off that customers are paying less for the same service.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I can’t wrap my mind around how it’s more profitable to set the system up this way.
I think it's because they see the seat as sold and aren't necessarily able to sell it again when someone no-shows

I buy tickets this way all the time direct from the airlines. No third party needed.
in my experience, this is the safest bet. if there is any problem with the flight and/or rebooking, when you go third party the airline just punts and won't help you out

I've been bitten by this and it sucks

Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Yeah I got stuck in London on a ticket I bought from Expedia and it was the biggest goddam hassle and I was like, "I'm never gonna use a third party again!"

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If you are a no-show on the second leg of your trip the airline is just gonna give the seat to someone on standby.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That I get. What doesn't make sense is why it's cheaper to tack on a seat to another destination instead of just the single direct flight to the hub.
I presume it's a risk assessment of whether the flight can be sold out or not.

It's tougher to sell tickets to a more obscure destination, even though the airlines stop over in those places, they don't end flights there.

What gets me is why are the airlines complaining? They sold the seat already.
It just means that the flight will be lighter and have one less mouth to serve peanuts to.

It's not like they will hold the flight for you at the gate. lolo

If they were smart, they would offer this service themselves.

Reactions: grapedrink

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The only trick I use is going directly to the airport to buy my tickets at the ticket counter. I watch the on-line prices which change daily and if you clear your cookies. When I see the lowest on-line price for the flight I want I get in my car and drive over to the airport. At the ticket counter you'll be able to buy that flight usually for 30% lower than whatever the price you saw on the internet was.....sometimes even less. This only works for me because I am so close to ACY. The beauty is that even though I buy the tickets at the ACY ticket counter, I can buy tickets that fly out of Philadelphia or Newark. The downside is its Spirit Airlines. I've gotten tickets to California, Puerto Rico and Florida for next to nothing with this strategy.

The Spirit website is run by a 3rd party that marks up what Spirit tells them the prices are. You eliminate that markup when you buy at the Spirit counter at the airport.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
The only trick I use is going directly to the airport to buy my tickets at the ticket counter. I watch the on-line prices which change daily and if you clear your cookies. When I see the lowest on-line price for the flight I want I get in my car and drive over to the airport. At the ticket counter you'll be able to buy that flight usually for 30% lower than whatever the price you saw on the internet was.....sometimes even less. This only works for me because I am so close to ACY. The beauty is that even though I buy the tickets at the ACY ticket counter, I can buy tickets that fly out of Philadelphia or Newark. The downside is its Spirit Airlines. I've gotten tickets to California, Puerto Rico and Florida for next to nothing with this strategy.

The Spirit website is run by a 3rd party that marks up what Spirit tells them the prices are. You eliminate that markup when you buy at the Spirit counter at the airport.
I will fly Spirit to PR and that's it - Have made it out alive so - far...the price is just too good

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

WTF

is this for real!??!?!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
would never imagine casually stopping by LAX for anything.. lol
Atlantic City International Airport where I go to do this is a big airport facility that very few planes fly in and out of and it has very convenient short term parking. Spirit is the only carrier. They generally have a morning rush of passengers and then by 10:00 the place is a ghost town and you can walk right up to the ticket counter. Looking at west coast airports, Yuma International is the only thing similar I could find.

Atlantic City International Airport is a relic of WWII and the Cold War. Its got a massive runway capable of use for the Space Shuttle. The pilots of Airforce One use the strip to practice about four times a year so its not uncommon to see AF1 circling the area doing takeoffs and landings. As far as being a passenger airport it has pretty much been teetering near bankruptcy my entire life. The government has thrown a sh!t ton of money at the place but they can't attract airlines to use it.

When you look at the map below there is probably only one arrival and departure each day from ACY to these cities. In the winter perhaps two a day to and from Tampa, Orlando and Lauderdale. In the summer I think the San Juan run is only twice a week.

1694169146837.png

Last edited: