All you guitar

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Actually, you’re right, there’s something special about playing loud through a nicely overdriven tube amp. There’s a warmth and a dynamic reactive feel to your playing that is aweSome.

I also think a good amp flatters a bad guitar more than the other way around.

There are a lot of small tube amps around now that sound great at lower volumes.....

What I was getting at ( badly) was that it’s widely held that any tube amp is automatically gonna sound better than a solid state amp. That might have been true years ago but I think there are some solid state (& even digital ) things around now that can give you great tone as well.

Also, tube amps really shine when you are playing straight from the guitar into the amp and cranking it. As soon as you are adding on pedals, especially ones that have a particular “sound” to them, the base tone is more obscured and you’ll notice less difference between a pair of decent amps whatever they are.
Agreed
Amp and speaker = biggest part. Speaker upgrade is most bang for buck way to get to better tone/

& Im on the same boat; guitar-cable-amp guy. Crank the amp up pretty good, use Guitar vol & tone controls.

i do have an Analog Man Fuzz Face thats bad a$$ and a treble booster that’s really good; but not into pedals. Lotsa

super fun pedal: Ditto looper

Reactions: Boneroni and jory

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I play my pedal board through this thing a lot https://www.oldbloodnoise.com/pedals/headphone-amp

It actually sounds and kinda acts like a real amp should, but any time it's a decent hour and my wife's not busy with work I go to my real amp

However, even with the advances in digital technology as well as solid state with things like Quilter you're not going to be happy unless you get a real tube amp

However, speaker setup has as much to do with loudness as watts do. I had an AC15 Twin that was only 15 watts but much louder than 50 watt tube amps i've had. I feel like the sweet spot in an amp is a 30-50W 1x12 setup because it will work at home yet have enough headroom for a band There are TONS of amps in this config from all the major brands. I'd go with something with two channels so you don't have to completely rely on pedals for dirt, but some people think some pedals sound better than some amps preamp tube distortion anyways (You can spend years on The Gear Page going over this)

If you want to buy used I think a good amp in your price range is a newer Fender Super Sonic 22. They're a grand new but you can find them in your price range all day long. I'm not even sure why I got rid of mine, I think I got in my head and made myself want more wattage to play with some guys that I played with once :roflmao:

I currently have a Mesa Boogie TC50 that I spent way too much on; GAS is getting to me though AND I can sell it and make a profit while buying the much cheaper Orange Rocker 32 I want
the older Super Sonics are def underrated/used to be a sleeper amp. Thought TV ry stopped making them

speaker efficiency is def a big deal.

one of my favs: ALNICO Blue - fckn loud
another fav: vintage Jensen P12Q - the opposite- not a good option. To be heard over a drummer but beautiful sounding.

Not a fan of master volumes at all; ”proper” wattage amp paired w efficient-or ineffecient speaker(s). This is the way!! :D

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Love my THR10-C as a practice amp/modeler.

Have a Princeton Reverb Reissue with a 12" Cannabis Rex for when I want the neighbors to hear.

I find that I don't have to tweak pedal nobs too much to get similar tones when switching between the Fender modeler on the THR and the real deal tube amp. Couldn't ask for much more from a modeler IMO.

Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

Hullman

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 29, 2005
Guess where all the tubes are made....Russia. Probably the end of analog music niche.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Not getting your tubes from Russia is a first world problem?

Less hacky music will be played?

Self expression is not the greatest thing ever. :dancing: